Thread: Sailor Cole Brauer makes history as the first American woman to race solo around the

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,461 Times in 9,070 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,425 Times in 1,254 Posts

Default Sailor Cole Brauer makes history as the first American woman to race solo around the

Sailor Cole Brauer makes history as the first American woman to race solo around the world

Way to go young lady?!! Not even in my youth would I attempt something like that?!!

The 5-foot-2 powerhouse placed second out of 16 sailors who competed in the Global Solo Challenge, a circumnavigation race that started in A Coruña, Spain, with participants from 10 countries.

Aboard her 40-foot racing boat First Light, 29-year-old Cole Brauer just became the first American woman to race nonstop around the world by herself.

The New York native pulled into A Coruña, Spain, on Thursday after a treacherous 30,000-mile journey that took 130[COLOR=var(--article-body-content-strong)] days

She thanked a cheering crowd of family and fans who had been waiting for her on shore.

“This is really cool and so overwhelming in every sense of the word,” she exclaimed, before drinking Champagne from her trophy.

The 5-foot-2 powerhouse placed second out of 16 avid sailors who competed in the Global Solo Challenge, a circumnavigation race that started in A Coruña with participants from 10 countries. The first-of-its-kind event allowed a wide range of boats to set off in successive departures based on performance characteristics.

Brauer started on Oct. 29, sailing down the west coast of Africa, over to Australia, and around the tip of South America before returning to Spain.

Brauer is the only woman and the youngest competitor in the event — something she hopes young girls in and out of the sport can draw inspiration from.
    “It would be amazing if there was just one girl that saw me and said, ‘Oh, I can do that too,’” Brauer said of her history-making sail.

It’s a grueling race, and more than half of the competitors have dropped out so far. One struck something that caused his boat to flood, and another sailor had to abandon his ship after a mast broke as a severe storm was moving in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...rld-rcna141576

2. The Following User Says Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-11-2024)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,461 Times in 9,070 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,425 Times in 1,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Sailor Cole Brauer makes history as the first American woman to race solo around the world

Way to go young lady?!! Not even in my youth would I attempt something like that?!!

The 5-foot-2 powerhouse placed second out of 16 sailors who competed in the Global Solo Challenge, a circumnavigation race that started in A Coruña, Spain, with participants from 10 countries.

Aboard her 40-foot racing boat First Light, 29-year-old Cole Brauer just became the first American woman to race nonstop around the world by herself.

The New York native pulled into A Coruña, Spain, on Thursday after a treacherous 30,000-mile journey that took 130[COLOR=var(--article-body-content-strong)] days

She thanked a cheering crowd of family and fans who had been waiting for her on shore.

“This is really cool and so overwhelming in every sense of the word,” she exclaimed, before drinking Champagne from her trophy.

The 5-foot-2 powerhouse placed second out of 16 avid sailors who competed in the Global Solo Challenge, a circumnavigation race that started in A Coruña with participants from 10 countries. The first-of-its-kind event allowed a wide range of boats to set off in successive departures based on performance characteristics.

Brauer started on Oct. 29, sailing down the west coast of Africa, over to Australia, and around the tip of South America before returning to Spain.

Brauer is the only woman and the youngest competitor in the event — something she hopes young girls in and out of the sport can draw inspiration from.
    “It would be amazing if there was just one girl that saw me and said, ‘Oh, I can do that too,’” Brauer said of her history-making sail.

It’s a grueling race, and more than half of the competitors have dropped out so far. One struck something that caused his boat to flood, and another sailor had to abandon his ship after a mast broke as a severe storm was moving in.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 150 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post

I'll bet she had electronic winches. Can't say I blame her because a Class40 is a lot of work when you're singlehanded.