Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Truth Detector and ChoppedLiver

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalia’s controversial remarks about African Americans expose U.S. higher education

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Default Scalia’s controversial remarks about African Americans expose U.S. higher education

I wonder what Ben Carson thinks of Scalia now. This disgusting judge needs to be deep-sixed already.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia just stirred up another controversy with comments about why African Americans might be better off if they are not accepted into top colleges and universities but rather to “slower-track” schools.” Scalia made the comments during a court hearing in a case challenging the race-conscious admissions plan at the University of Texas at Austin. He said in part:

“There are — there are those who contend that it does not benefit African Americans to — to get them into the University of Texas where they do not do well, as opposed to having slower-track school where they do well. One of — one of the briefs pointed out that — that most of the — most of the black scientists in this country don’t come from schools like the University of Texas….

“They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that they’re – that they’re being pushed ahead in — in classes that are too — too fast for them….

“I’m just not impressed by the fact that — that the University of Texas may have fewer. Maybe it ought to have fewer. And maybe some — you know, when you take more, the number of blacks, really competent blacks admitted to lesser schools, turns out to be less. And — and I — I don’t think it — it — it stands to reason that it’s a good thing for the University of Texas to admit as many blacks as possible.”

And

"It is a nearly imperceptibly short stroll from Donald Trump to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. The arrogance of power is disturbing for its privilege and bigotry, but exponentially so for the cavalier brashness and absence of self-awareness.

Regardless of the position of power, Scalia’s racist pronouncements about the proper place of black students in higher education (again, a short stroll from Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas’s rejecting affirmative action, which he himself used during his journey to the highest bench) are inexcusable."

https://radicalscholarship.wordpress.com/2015/12/11/scalias-racism-exposes-higher-educations-negligence/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...her-education/

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

signalmankenneth (12-24-2015)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

So you feel accepting kids into schools they are not qualified for to satisfy AA is helping them ?
    Neverending that they flunk out and and as often as not don't enroll at schools they do qualify for.
    Equal rights good, unequal rights bad.
    It might make lefties feel all warm inside but it's no boon to the kids.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

According to the most recent statistics, the nationwide college graduation rate for black students stands at an appallingly low rate of 42 percent. This figure is 20 percentage points below the 62 percent rate for white students.
    Whats your guess as to why......
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    So you feel accepting kids into schools they are not qualified for to satisfy AA is helping them ?
    Neverending that they flunk out and and as often as not don't enroll at schools they do qualify for.
    Equal rights good, unequal rights bad.
    It might make lefties feel all warm inside but it's no boon to the kids.
    You think it's okay to make sweeping generalizations about black intelligence? Everybody doesn't qualify for every college no matter their race.

Scalia should have kept his opinion to himself. It doesn't speak well for a SC justice to show his bigotry.

― Charles Dickens

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Many liberals have been applyotic over his comments. He was asking a question about an argument that has been made over whether (black) students benefit from gaining admittance to a school they didn't qualify for.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is his colloquy with Washington lawyer Gregory G. Garre, who was representing the University of Texas, according to the transcript provided by the Supreme Court.

SCALIA:
    There are — there are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to — to get them into the University of Texas where they do not do well, as opposed to having slower-track school where they do well. One of — one of the briefs pointed out that — that most of the — most of the black scientists in this country don’t come from schools like the University of Texas.

GARRE:
    So this Court —

SCALIA:
    They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that they’re – that they’re being pushed ahead in — in classes that are too — too fast for them.

GARRE:
    This Court —

SCALIA:
    I’m just not impressed by the fact that — that the University of Texas may have fewer. Maybe it ought to have fewer. And maybe some — you know, when you take more, the number of blacks, really competent blacks admitted to lesser schools, turns out to be less. And — and I — I don’t think it — it — it stands to reason that it’s a good thing for the University of Texas to admit as many blacks as possible. I just don’t think —

GARRE:
    This Court heard and rejected that argument, with respect, Justice Scalia, in the Grutter case [which said universities may consider race in a limited way because they have a compelling interest in creating diverse student bodies], a case that our opponents haven’t asked this Court to overrule. If you look at the academic performance of holistic minority admits versus the top 10 percent admits, over time, they — they fare better.

And, frankly, I don’t think the solution to the problems with student body diversity can be to set up a system in which not only are minorities going to separate schools, they’re going to inferior schools. I think what experience shows, at Texas, California, and Michigan, is that now is not the time and this is not the case to roll back student body diversity in America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ions-and-race/

― Charles Dickens

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    According to the most recent statistics, the nationwide college graduation rate for black students stands at an appallingly low rate of 42 percent. This figure is 20 percentage points below the 62 percent rate for white students.
    Whats your guess as to why......
    What's yours?

― Charles Dickens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-25-2015)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

I kind of get what he is trying to say I think. Say if you werent doing all that great in high school and decided to apply to a school that you knew you werent qualified for based on the admissions standards and then you are accepted because of a need to fill a skin color quota then are you really being set up for success? I tried hard in school but I wasnt a straight A student and I didnt have a great SAT score. I didnt have the grades to get into a school like UT and so I applied at schools that I qualified for and that I liked. My school is much smaller and pretty much unknown outside of Texas but I enjoy it there and the classes are great and challenging and it is the best fit for me in my opinion. Also you dont have to go to a UT in order to get a great education either. A black student that may not have the grades for UT can still get a great education at so many other universities in Texas just like any white or hispanic student can.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    You think it's okay to make sweeping generalizations about black intelligence? Everybody doesn't qualify for every college no matter their race.

Scalia should have kept his opinion to himself. It doesn't speak well for a SC justice to show his bigotry.
    It wasn't his opinion. He asked about the argument that has been made. Supreme Court justices use that technique all the time

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,210 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

Scalia is right. If a black kid with a math SAT score of 610 is allowed into MIT where the average is 790, he's gonna flunk out. If the kid had gone to say Ohio State, he'd have graduated with honors.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    Scalia is right. If a black kid with a math SAT score of 610 is allowed into MIT where the average is 790, he's gonna flunk out. If the kid had gone to say Ohio State, he'd have graduated with honors.
    WTF?! Fvck you Michigan people

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Minister of Truth (12-25-2015), Mott the Hoople (12-25-2015)

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Norah View Post
    I kind of get what he is trying to say I think. Say if you werent doing all that great in high school and decided to apply to a school that you knew you werent qualified for based on the admissions standards and then you are accepted because of a need to fill a skin color quota then are you really being set up for success? I tried hard in school but I wasnt a straight A student and I didnt have a great SAT score. I didnt have the grades to get into a school like UT and so I applied at schools that I qualified for and that I liked. My school is much smaller and pretty much unknown outside of Texas but I enjoy it there and the classes are great and challenging and it is the best fit for me in my opinion. Also you dont have to go to a UT in order to get a great education either. A black student that may not have the grades for UT can still get a great education at so many other universities in Texas just like any white or hispanic student can.
    The Common Application doesn't require prospective students to identify by race or ethnicity.

I could be wrong but it seems people wouldn't deliberately set themselves up to fail by applying to colleges with a rigorous curriculum that might be too much for them, based on their SATs or other criteria.

― Charles Dickens

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It wasn't his opinion. He asked about the argument that has been made. Supreme Court justices use that technique all the time
    This is opinion: " I’m just not impressed by the fact that — that the University of Texas may have fewer. Maybe it ought to have fewer." and "And — and I — I don’t think it — it — it stands to reason that it’s a good thing for the University of Texas to admit as many blacks as possible."

― Charles Dickens

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    The Common Application doesn't require prospective students to identify by race or ethnicity.

I could be wrong but it seems people wouldn't deliberately set themselves up to fail by applying to colleges with a rigorous curriculum that might be too much for them, based on their SATs or other criteria.
    I think you'd be surprised by how many high school students apply for recognizable universities that they have no shot of getting accepted to. Why apply for West Texas A&M University when you can apply for Texas A&M University? or University of Texas-Tyler when you can apply to the University of Texas? You think to yourself basically that if I can get in then i'll make D's and C's but i'll get my degree from a big name school.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Norah View Post
    I think you'd be surprised by how many high school students apply for recognizable universities that they have no shot of getting accepted to. Why apply for West Texas A&M University when you can apply for Texas A&M University? or University of Texas-Tyler when you can apply to the University of Texas? You think to yourself basically that if I can get in then i'll make D's and C's but i'll get my degree from a big name school.
    That is if they accept you.

― Charles Dickens