Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Violent anti-choice rhetoric must end, or anti-abortion violence never wil

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    59,859
    Thanks
    6,967
    Thanked 8,651 Times in 6,021 Posts
    Groans
    5,401
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,324 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Violent anti-choice rhetoric must end, or anti-abortion violence never wil

    Violent anti-choice rhetoric must end, or anti-abortion violence never will

    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ore-baby-parts

    Words matter. When we dehumanize people – when we call them demons, monsters, and murderers – we make it easier for others to do them harm. Let’s not pretend that we don’t know that.

    How we talk about abortion matters. We know it, and anti-choice extremists and politicians know it. Anti-abortion activists are not making WANTED posters or revealing doctor’s addresses for fun. They’re doing it to harass and intimidate, and they’re doing it knowing the long history of violent fanatics using their rhetoric to justify crimes against providers and clinics.

    According to an anonymous police source, after Friday’s attack on the Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood, the alleged perpetrator made a comment in its wake about “no more baby parts”. He specifically targeted the facility.

    The shooting may be the most horrifically violent attack on a clinic in the country’s history, but it was far from the first. There have been four arson attacks against centers that provide abortions just since July, when David Daleiden and the euphemistically named Center for Medical Progress began releasing deceptively edited videos of Planned Parenthood employees discussing fetal tissue donation. Or, as anti-abortion activists and politicians have referred to it, “baby parts”.

    The attack in Colorado, which left three people dead and nine wounded, was shocking, but it was also the predictable result of a culture that demonizes abortion, uses fantastical and false rhetoric about Planned Parenthood and allows politicians and activists to make false representations about women’s reproductive health.


    In August, US district judge William Orrick blocked the release of more videos from Daleiden citing the “history of violence” against abortion providers. When 32 lawyers from across the country petitioned California’s attorney general, Kamala Harris, to conduct her investigation into Daleiden quickly because of “a real threat to abortion provider safety”, they wrote about how doctors and staffers are stalked and receive death threats, and how this targeted harassment led to the murders of eight doctors since 1993.

    Planned Parenthood was cleared of any wrongdoing by every state that investigated it after the videos were released, yet its president, Cecile Richards, was still made to testify in front of the House this September in a sham of a hearing where Republicans grilled Richards on everything from musical acts at organizational events to her personal salary.

    After the hearing, the FBI warned that increased attacks on abortion clinics were coming. An FBI intelligence assessment report noted, “It is likely criminal or suspicious incidents will continue to be directed against reproductive health care providers, their staff and facilities.”

    Vicki Saporta, president of the National Abortion Federation, told a reporter just last month that, since the videos’ release, “the intensity and volume” of hate speech directed at clinics was “unprecedented”.

    “People have also been calling clinics and making threats to murder all the doctors or to wipe out all the staff,” she said.

    The culture of hate against Planned Parenthood – an organization that serves mostly low-income women and provides legal, safe medical services – is so extreme that some felt it entirely appropriate to express their glee over the shootings on Friday, claiming that the people hurt had it coming. And while the gunman was still in the building, Representative Adam Kinzinger, a Republican from Illinois, went on CNN to criticize the organization, saying, “We saw those barbaric videos, and that was something many of us have a legitimate concern about.”

    Even those defending the organization fell into the trap of stigmatizing abortion, tweeting corrections at media organizations that called the Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs an “abortion clinic” or noting that abortions are a small part of the organization’s work. While it’s true that Planned Parenthood offers a variety of services, I think it’s safe to say the attacker wasn’t there because he was angry about pap smears.

    We must demand that the violent radical language and lies about abortion stop.

    People disagree about the morality of abortion, but the doctors who provide them aren’t evil: they are doing what they think is right and good for their patients. (That hasn’t stopped some conservative media, even in the wake of this tragedy, from calling them “demonic.”) The women who go to Planned Parenthood, whether for a checkup or an abortion, aren’t callous beasts: they’re people trying to do the best they can for their lives and families.

    As we find out more about the shooter, people will claim – as they often do – that he was a lone wolf, that he was mentally unstable and that he is not at all representative of those who disagree with abortion. Republican politicians will eventually take great pains to condemn the shooter’s attack, while ignoring all of the lies, language and culture of misogyny that contributes to this kind of violence.

    Some people are already telling the truth, though. Vicki Cowart, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood Rocky Mountains released a statement that eyewitnesses confirm the attacker “was motivated by opposition to safe and legal and abortion”. The attorney general, Loretta Lynch, called the shooting a “crime against women” getting care at Planned Parenthood.

    We can all tell the truth about this attack; we don’t need a police press conference to confirm the shooter’s motive. We know why this happened. Clinic workers who put their lives on the line every day know why this happened. Because of hate, because of lies, and because words matter.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

  2. The Following User Groans At Never forget Christchurch For This Awful Post:

    ChoppedLiver (11-29-2015)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Never forget Christchurch For This Post:

    Leonthecat (11-29-2015)

  4. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    59,859
    Thanks
    6,967
    Thanked 8,651 Times in 6,021 Posts
    Groans
    5,401
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,324 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    The Republican party terrorist organization is ultimately responsible for the murder of these three individuals, and should bear that responsibility.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

  5. The Following User Groans At Never forget Christchurch For This Awful Post:

    ChoppedLiver (11-29-2015)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Never forget Christchurch For This Post:

    Leonthecat (11-29-2015)

  7. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West end Of The Erie Canal
    Posts
    2,097
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 639 Times in 525 Posts
    Groans
    66
    Groaned 365 Times in 322 Posts

    Default

    Thank you for that vitriol, Komrade Bolshevik. You and your pro-abort ilk are worse than Hitler.

    THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY

  8. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    59,859
    Thanks
    6,967
    Thanked 8,651 Times in 6,021 Posts
    Groans
    5,401
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,324 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    Thank you for that vitriol, Komrade Bolshevik. You and your pro-abort ilk are worse than Hitler.
    That you for your input, terrorist scum.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

  9. The Following User Groans At Never forget Christchurch For This Awful Post:

    ChoppedLiver (11-29-2015)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Never forget Christchurch For This Post:

    Leonthecat (11-29-2015)

  11. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Realville
    Posts
    30,165
    Thanks
    1,375
    Thanked 5,800 Times in 4,713 Posts
    Groans
    745
    Groaned 2,445 Times in 2,268 Posts

    Default Violent anti-choice rhetoric must end, or anti-abortion violence never wil

    How many people that worked in the abortion mill were physically harmed?

  12. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    23,013
    Thanks
    1,050
    Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
    Groans
    2,732
    Groaned 648 Times in 283 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    How many people that worked in the abortion mill were physically harmed?
    It wasn't for lack of your boy trying.

    The organization has strict security practices that are similar to those followed in Colorado Springs.

    The staff practices shelter and evacuation drills in case of any danger.

    Although all victims had not been identified as of Saturday, Planned Parenthood President and CEO Sarah Stoesz credits those safety practices with keeping employees in Colorado Springs safe.

    In other words, they were ready for you. Your boy failed.


    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/11/28/minn-planned-parenthood-centers-undeterred-by-colo-shootings/

  13. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Realville
    Posts
    30,165
    Thanks
    1,375
    Thanked 5,800 Times in 4,713 Posts
    Groans
    745
    Groaned 2,445 Times in 2,268 Posts

    Default Violent anti-choice rhetoric must end, or anti-abortion violence never wil

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion Troll View Post
    It wasn't for lack of your boy trying.

    The organization has strict security practices that are similar to those followed in Colorado Springs.

    The staff practices shelter and evacuation drills in case of any danger.

    Although all victims had not been identified as of Saturday, Planned Parenthood President and CEO Sarah Stoesz credits those safety practices with keeping employees in Colorado Springs safe.

    In other words, they were ready for you. Your boy failed.


    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/11/28/minn-planned-parenthood-centers-undeterred-by-colo-shootings/
    You still are flailing?

    You still think he attacked the abortion mill?

    How sweet

  14. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    16,301
    Thanks
    8,930
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Lose Always View Post
    You still are flailing?

    You still think he attacked the abortion mill?

    How sweet
    Rumplestiltskin Lol

  15. The Following User Groans At Leonthecat For This Awful Post:

    ChoppedLiver (11-29-2015)

  16. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    23,013
    Thanks
    1,050
    Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
    Groans
    2,732
    Groaned 648 Times in 283 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    You still are flailing? You still think he attacked the abortion mill? How sweet
    Still claiming that he was robbing a bank and just happened to run into the Planned Parenthood office?

  17. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,306
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 870 Posts
    Groans
    24
    Groaned 327 Times in 263 Posts

    Default

    Why does the government not just ban abortion clinics and the problem would be solved???


  18. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    23,013
    Thanks
    1,050
    Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
    Groans
    2,732
    Groaned 648 Times in 283 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StormX View Post
    Why does the government not just ban abortion clinics and the problem would be solved???
    Or they could just ban guns and leave you with nothing to post about?



  19. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    16,301
    Thanks
    8,930
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StormX View Post
    Why does the government not just ban abortion clinics and the problem would be solved???
    Why does the government not just ban racists like you, my racist friend?

  20. The Following User Groans At Leonthecat For This Awful Post:

    ChoppedLiver (11-29-2015)

  21. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    71,584
    Thanks
    12,501
    Thanked 12,943 Times in 10,902 Posts
    Groans
    13,883
    Groaned 1,658 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Underworld King Star View Post
    Violent anti-choice rhetoric must end, or anti-abortion violence never will

    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ore-baby-parts

    Words matter. When we dehumanize people – when we call them demons, monsters, and murderers – we make it easier for others to do them harm. Let’s not pretend that we don’t know that.

    How we talk about abortion matters. We know it, and anti-choice extremists and politicians know it. Anti-abortion activists are not making WANTED posters or revealing doctor’s addresses for fun. They’re doing it to harass and intimidate, and they’re doing it knowing the long history of violent fanatics using their rhetoric to justify crimes against providers and clinics.

    According to an anonymous police source, after Friday’s attack on the Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood, the alleged perpetrator made a comment in its wake about “no more baby parts”. He specifically targeted the facility.

    The shooting may be the most horrifically violent attack on a clinic in the country’s history, but it was far from the first. There have been four arson attacks against centers that provide abortions just since July, when David Daleiden and the euphemistically named Center for Medical Progress began releasing deceptively edited videos of Planned Parenthood employees discussing fetal tissue donation. Or, as anti-abortion activists and politicians have referred to it, “baby parts”.

    The attack in Colorado, which left three people dead and nine wounded, was shocking, but it was also the predictable result of a culture that demonizes abortion, uses fantastical and false rhetoric about Planned Parenthood and allows politicians and activists to make false representations about women’s reproductive health.


    In August, US district judge William Orrick blocked the release of more videos from Daleiden citing the “history of violence” against abortion providers. When 32 lawyers from across the country petitioned California’s attorney general, Kamala Harris, to conduct her investigation into Daleiden quickly because of “a real threat to abortion provider safety”, they wrote about how doctors and staffers are stalked and receive death threats, and how this targeted harassment led to the murders of eight doctors since 1993.

    Planned Parenthood was cleared of any wrongdoing by every state that investigated it after the videos were released, yet its president, Cecile Richards, was still made to testify in front of the House this September in a sham of a hearing where Republicans grilled Richards on everything from musical acts at organizational events to her personal salary.

    After the hearing, the FBI warned that increased attacks on abortion clinics were coming. An FBI intelligence assessment report noted, “It is likely criminal or suspicious incidents will continue to be directed against reproductive health care providers, their staff and facilities.”

    Vicki Saporta, president of the National Abortion Federation, told a reporter just last month that, since the videos’ release, “the intensity and volume” of hate speech directed at clinics was “unprecedented”.

    “People have also been calling clinics and making threats to murder all the doctors or to wipe out all the staff,” she said.

    The culture of hate against Planned Parenthood – an organization that serves mostly low-income women and provides legal, safe medical services – is so extreme that some felt it entirely appropriate to express their glee over the shootings on Friday, claiming that the people hurt had it coming. And while the gunman was still in the building, Representative Adam Kinzinger, a Republican from Illinois, went on CNN to criticize the organization, saying, “We saw those barbaric videos, and that was something many of us have a legitimate concern about.”

    Even those defending the organization fell into the trap of stigmatizing abortion, tweeting corrections at media organizations that called the Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs an “abortion clinic” or noting that abortions are a small part of the organization’s work. While it’s true that Planned Parenthood offers a variety of services, I think it’s safe to say the attacker wasn’t there because he was angry about pap smears.

    We must demand that the violent radical language and lies about abortion stop.

    People disagree about the morality of abortion, but the doctors who provide them aren’t evil: they are doing what they think is right and good for their patients. (That hasn’t stopped some conservative media, even in the wake of this tragedy, from calling them “demonic.”) The women who go to Planned Parenthood, whether for a checkup or an abortion, aren’t callous beasts: they’re people trying to do the best they can for their lives and families.

    As we find out more about the shooter, people will claim – as they often do – that he was a lone wolf, that he was mentally unstable and that he is not at all representative of those who disagree with abortion. Republican politicians will eventually take great pains to condemn the shooter’s attack, while ignoring all of the lies, language and culture of misogyny that contributes to this kind of violence.

    Some people are already telling the truth, though. Vicki Cowart, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood Rocky Mountains released a statement that eyewitnesses confirm the attacker “was motivated by opposition to safe and legal and abortion”. The attorney general, Loretta Lynch, called the shooting a “crime against women” getting care at Planned Parenthood.

    We can all tell the truth about this attack; we don’t need a police press conference to confirm the shooter’s motive. We know why this happened. Clinic workers who put their lives on the line every day know why this happened. Because of hate, because of lies, and because words matter.
    He was probably a liberal who went there for "baby parts" and when he was arrested he was complaining because there were "...no more baby parts...”.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    With the right wing politically motivated mcmorons in the tank for Trump, all Biden has to do is stay the course.
    All those new voters coming across the borer and heading for FL, WI, MI, and PA will make the GOP effort worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    The twenty thousand illegals deported this year on the ICE raids will be about 2% of all them here now and not counting those coming across the border, and heading for FL, WI, MI, and PA. Trump does not stand a chance.

  22. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West end Of The Erie Canal
    Posts
    2,097
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 639 Times in 525 Posts
    Groans
    66
    Groaned 365 Times in 322 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Underworld King Star View Post
    That you for your input, terrorist scum.
    You're the totalitarian and an enemy of America, Komrade.

    THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Boris The Animal For This Post:

    ChoppedLiver (11-29-2015)

  24. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    59,859
    Thanks
    6,967
    Thanked 8,651 Times in 6,021 Posts
    Groans
    5,401
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,324 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    You're the totalitarian and an enemy of America, Komrade.
    You're a traitor to America, I am a true patriot and a constitutionalist looking to retake my country from enemy rightists like you seeking to destroy it from within.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

  25. The Following 2 Users Groan At Never forget Christchurch For This Awful Post:

    Boris The Animal (11-29-2015), ChoppedLiver (11-29-2015)

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-Contraception Rhetoric At GOP's 'Freedom' Summit
    By Timshel in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 08:41 AM
  2. Hello pro-violence, anti-humans
    By Never forget Christchurch in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
  3. The Face of the Anti-Choice Pharmacy Movement
    By Cypress in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 12:35 AM
  4. Ron Paul is anti abortion?
    By evince in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-13-2007, 12:14 AM
  5. When Anti-Choice women decide to Choose
    By Cypress in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •