Thread: Republican David Frum: Trump Is Preparing for the Worst

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Republican David Frum: Trump Is Preparing for the Worst

......This time, though, Trump is not claiming that “all taxes were paid” or that “it was a perfect tax return.” He’s readying his supporters for bad revelations about his company’s taxes and directing them to a fallback line that singling him out as a tax scofflaw is politically unfair.

That line of defense may well rally Trump’s supporters. It will not do him much good in court. It’s impossible for tax collectors to scrutinize every return. Selecting high-profile evaders and holding them to account is how tax laws are enforced. And if a former president numbers among those high-profile evaders, that makes the case for targeting him stronger, not weaker. It sends the message that the tax authorities most want to send: Everybody has to pay, especially powerful politicians. In 1974, former President Richard Nixon faced a review of his taxes that ultimately presented him with a bill equal to half his net worth at the time. Members of Congress have faced indictment for tax evasion, as have high-profile state and local officials.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...w-york/619340/

I'd love to be a fly on the wall wherever Trump is hiding, manbaby's rage tantrum must be a doozy!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    ......This time, though, Trump is not claiming that “all taxes were paid” or that “it was a perfect tax return.” He’s readying his supporters for bad revelations about his company’s taxes and directing them to a fallback line that singling him out as a tax scofflaw is politically unfair.

That line of defense may well rally Trump’s supporters. It will not do him much good in court. It’s impossible for tax collectors to scrutinize every return. Selecting high-profile evaders and holding them to account is how tax laws are enforced. And if a former president numbers among those high-profile evaders, that makes the case for targeting him stronger, not weaker. It sends the message that the tax authorities most want to send: Everybody has to pay, especially powerful politicians. In 1974, former President Richard Nixon faced a review of his taxes that ultimately presented him with a bill equal to half his net worth at the time. Members of Congress have faced indictment for tax evasion, as have high-profile state and local officials.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall wherever Trump is hiding, manbaby's rage tantrum must be a doozy!
    I'm sure that Trump knows that his goose is cooked, and Trump is putting on spectacular comedy show in private with his temper tantrums; I to, would just love to see this performance.
    Lock Him Up

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

reagansghost (07-02-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I'm sure that Trump knows that his goose is cooked, and Trump is putting on spectacular comedy show in private with his temper tantrums; I to, would just love to see this performance.
    heard some interesting comments on Morning Joe (ex-staunch Republican).........Don's criminal twisted offspring are in the bullseye, TrumpCo indictments DIRECTLY implicate them is some serious felonies, they're not taking a limo out of this mess

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

heard some interesting comments on Morning Joe (ex-staunch Republican).........Don's criminal twisted offspring are in the bullseye, TrumpCo indictments DIRECTLY implicate them is some serious felonies, they're not taking a limo out of this mess
    They all got away with their criminal activities for long enough, so this serves them right, and I look forward to the collapse of the Trump criminal empire, and I wish them a life of poverty when they get out of jail.
    Lock Him Up

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 49 Times in 45 Posts

I'VE POSTED SOME TERRIBLE THINGS ABOUT
    DONALD TRUMP

I JUST WANTED TO SAY TO EVERYONE
    THAT I MEANT ALL OF IT.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,147 Times in 33,852 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

I’m so old enough to remember Lenona Hemsley and how Trump criticized her for tax evasion.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-665abe861358/

“Donald J. Trump has shaken the onyx and marble foundations of the hotel world by calling his equally overpublicized rival, Leona Helmsley, a "disgrace to humanity." In a deliciously vitriolic letter to the self-proclaimed Queen of the Helmsley hotel empire, The Donald (as he is called by his relentlessly glamorous wife Ivana) displays a previously hidden capacity for venom by slicing The Leona into tiny little pieces. "Without the veil of Harry Helmsley, you would be a non-entity. You would not be able to randomly fire and abuse people in order to make yourself happy,"

Isn’t it ironic!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-02-2021), Micawber (07-02-2021), reagansghost (07-02-2021)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder if these subhuman fascist scum will go to war again, this time to protect Orange clown's right to serially cheat on taxes.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I wonder if these subhuman fascist scum will go to war again, this time to protect Orange clown's right to serially cheat on taxes.
    for sure right wing militias and lone wolf domestic terrorists as will act out, more American Taliban activity that needs to be stamped out

time for judges to start handing down actual terrorist-grade sentences and the FBI to hunt them down BEFORE they kill more citizens

11. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-02-2021)