Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Whistle Politics

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

I'm glad to see so many views on this thread, an important topic that once again reared its ugly head in this election.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngu...umpian-losers/

https://aeon.co/ideas/why-the-nazis-...or-inspiration

"White men went 63 percent for Trump versus 31 percent for Clinton, and white women went 53-43 percent. Among college-educated whites, only 39 percent of men and 51 percent of women voted for Clinton." https://newrepublic.com/article/1387...-working-class

"The main hypothesis concerning group-think is this: the more amiability and espirt de corps among the members of an in-group of policymakers the greater the danger that independent critical thinking will be replaced by groupthink, which is likely to result in irrational and the dehumanizing actions directed at out-groups." Irving L. Janis in 'Sanctions for Evil'
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Check out thecritique this month, excellent piece on last election etc. This editorial was one part of the coverage.

"Given the reality of its particular past, however, the obstinacy of white superiority seems inevitable for America’s foreseeable future."

"If you weren’t an Afro-pessimist or a racial realist before the 2016 U.S. presidential election, then you might be now. By Afro-pessimism and racial realism, I mean the general idea that racism has been so indelibly dyed into the fabric of the United States that it likely is permanent. We can’t seem to scrub it out, no matter which laws, civil rights movements, good intentions, protests, or other anti-racist elbow-grease we bring to the task. This isn’t an abstract, ahistorical claim. It takes the concrete details of history very seriously. In fact, doing so is precisely what points to the plausibility of Afro-pessimism and racial realism."

http://www.thecritique.com/articles/...afropessimism/

“What would you say to a soft, brown face, aureoled in a thousand ripples of gray-black hair, which knells suddenly: ‘Do you trust white people?’ You do not and you know that you do not, much as you want to; yet you rise and lie and say you do; you must say it for her salvation and the world’s; you repeat that she must trust them, that most white folks are honest, and all the while you are lying and every level, silent eye there knows you are lying, and miserably you sit and lie on, to the greater glory of God”. W.E.B. Du Bois, 'Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil'
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I came across this quote recently and it asks a question few ever think of - why? Also I am reading 'White Trash' and learned that even white trash were once called the N word. Fascinating read.

"What white people have to do is try and find out in their own hearts why it was necessary to have a ‘nigger’ in the first place, because I’m not a nigger, I’m a man. But if you think I’m a nigger, it means you need him. The question you’ve got to ask yourself, is, if you invented him, you the white people invented him, then you’ve got to find out why. And the future of the country depends on that, whether or not it is able to ask that question.” Baldwin

http://contemporarycondition.blogspo...blackness.html

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One of my favorite writers on topic.

'The American civil war didn't end. And Trump is a Confederate president'

"In the 158th year of the American civil war, also known as 2018, the Confederacy continues its recent resurgence. Its victims include black people, of course, but also immigrants, Jews, Muslims, Latinos, trans people, gay people and women who want to exercise jurisdiction over their bodies."