Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Announces $15 Minimum Wage, Highest In The U.S.!!!

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonestorm View Post
    If your grammar teacher couldn't fix it, I'm not likely to either. But, I'll continue to do it.

It wasn't a paraphrase. You purported to quote someone.
    Which doesn't change the accuracy of meaning. As I said, I don't care how pedantic you are in correcting simple grammar, pretending it is a meaningful rebuttal of the point is just laziness on your part. It isn't, in fact that kind of nonsense is a non sequitur, a logical fallacy.

I'd answer your question if it was comprehensible, but it isn't. Answer this: if the cards can be used to take out cash, who gives a shit where the cash is accessed?
    It was comprehensible, if you made any effort.

And I'll answer your question, as I did before, I don't think they should be able to get cash from these cards at all, let alone using the excuse that cards that are supposed to limit HOW you can spend the money need to be accessible in areas where none of the items you are limited to can be found.

For instance in magical PoorPeoplistan where the MJ shops and strip clubs are plentiful but there are no grocery stores why should a card limited to specifically grocery items be accessible at all?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Which doesn't change the accuracy of meaning. As I said, I don't care how pedantic you are in correcting simple grammar, pretending it is a meaningful rebuttal of the point is just laziness on your part. It isn't, in fact that kind of nonsense is a non sequitur, a logical fallacy.
    It's pretty simple, Damo. If you put words in quotes, I'm going to assume you are quoting someone and will continue to ask for the source of the quote.

It was comprehensible. And I'll answer your question, as I did before, I don't think they should be able to get cash from these cards.
    I couldn't understand it. Maybe try again. And you're not answering my question. You're answering a different question.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's pretty simple, Damo. If you put words in quotes, I'm going to assume you are quoting someone and will continue to ask for the source of the quote.
    Which again is a lazy. It's silly.

I couldn't understand it. Maybe try again. And you're not answering my question. You're answering a different question.
    I answered your question. I don't think they should be able to get cash from them, then I gave you the reason I think that. You should make an attempt to engage your brain while you read in some way other than OCD grammar nazi "witticisms".

I don't think they should be able to get cash from these cards at all, let alone using the excuse that cards that are supposed to limit HOW you can spend the money need to be accessible in areas where none of the items you are limited to can be found.

For instance in magical PoorPeoplistan where the MJ shops and strip clubs are plentiful but there are no grocery stores. In such a pakce why should a card limited to specifically grocery items be accessible at all?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Which again is a lazy. It's silly.
    Using quotation marks when you ain't quoting is silly.

I answered your question. I don't think they should be able to get cash from them, then I gave you the reason I think that. You should make an attempt to engage your brain while you read in some way other than OCD grammar nazi "witticisms".

I don't think they should be able to get cash from these cards at all, let alone using the excuse that cards that are supposed to limit HOW you can spend the money need to be accessible in areas where none of the items you are limited to can be found.

For instance in magical PoorPeoplistan where the MJ shops and strip clubs are plentiful but there are no grocery stores. In such a pakce why should a card limited to specifically grocery items be accessible at all?
    The cards can used at ATMs to access cash. Take that as a given. That's the world as it exists. Given that the cards can be used to access cash at ATMs, who gives a shit where the ATM is located?

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Using quotation marks when you ain't quoting is silly.

The cards can used at ATMs to access cash. Take that as a given. That's the world as it exists. Given that the cards can be used to access cash at ATMs, who gives a shit where the ATM is located?
    The people whose money it is care. When somebody is taking money from others because of "need" they should not get the option to spend it on strippers and pot. If it was their money to begin with, and not given to as a "hand up" I wouldn't give a rip where they spent money.

And the answer is: I don't think they should be able to withdraw money from these cards. Who gives? Pretty much everybody, except people who think that the only way they can access cash they shouldn't be able to access in the first place is at MJ stores and strip clubs.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Plunkett View Post
    I remember when Jack rolled out the electronic machines. Not sure if they're still in place.
    They are at all the JIBs that I know of.... I prefer to order there.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The people whose money it is care. When somebody is taking money from others because of "need" they should not get the option to spend it on strippers and pot. If it was their money to begin with, and not given to as a "hand up" I wouldn't give a rip where they spent money.

And the answer is: I don't think they should be able to withdraw money from these cards. Who gives? Pretty much everybody, except people who think that the only way they can access cash they shouldn't be able to access in the first place is at MJ stores and strip clubs.

But they can withdraw money with the cards. Restricting which ATMs they can use to do so doesn't restrict what they spend the money on. So, again, why does it matter if a waitress at a strip club withdraws cash from an ATM at her work instead of at a bank? And what's to stop a strip club patron from stopping at his local bank and taking out cash and heading over to strip club to make it rain?

It's stupid. If you want to prevent people from accessing cash, do that. Restricting where the cash can be accessed is just asinine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonestorm For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-02-2014)

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But they can withdraw money with the cards. Restricting which ATMs they can use to do so doesn't restrict what they spend the money on. So, again, why does it matter if a waitress at a strip club withdraws cash from an ATM at her work instead of at a bank? And what's to stop a strip club patron from stopping at his local bank and taking out cash and heading over to strip club to make it rain?

It's stupid. If you want to prevent people from accessing cash, do that. Restricting where the cash can be accessed is just asinine.
    Interesting that a person who thinks that it is a good thing to limit rounds in a magazine can't understand that the extra steps may determine how the money is spent...

Although, again: The right thing to do would be to simply not allow them to withdrawal cash at all as there is no way to stop abuse of the system if there is no check on the system. The left seems to have no limit on what they will say or do to buy votes. When you are spending the money of others you should be more thrifty.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

It may surprise you that most of the people who eat the food don't work there.

Yes but they most likely work in jobs that are similarly threatened by technology, not really that hard to understand I think.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    It probably won't surprise you to know that most fast food is eaten by people in low paying jobs, so where do they get the money when they are all made redundant by technology?
    citation needed. It sounds like a baseless meme you're passing as fact. Please cite the studies that document the incomes of fast food customers

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Pearse View Post
    I will. Because when I ask for no pickles, I can finally expect not to have fucking pickles.
    Pickled what? Do you mean gherkins?

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    citation needed. It sounds like a baseless meme you're passing as fact. Please cite the studies that document the incomes of fast food customers
    Don't be stupid!!

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Interesting that a person who thinks that it is a good thing to limit rounds in a magazine can't understand that the extra steps may determine how the money is spent...

Although, again: The right thing to do would be to simply not allow them to withdrawal cash at all as there is no way to stop abuse of the system if there is no check on the system. The left seems to have no limit on what they will say or do to buy votes. When you are spending the money of others you should be more thrifty.

More "sarcasm" I see.

16. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sure. If that's what you want to believe. There will always be plenty of poor people we give money to that will spend money at the local burger joint as well as people who earn money who spend it there. Even if they have to order through a touch screen. The only thing this does, is take away jobs from people you believe need them the most.
    Look it is very simple, at least to me anyway, to run a fast food outlet successfully you need a lot of customers and they are mostly drawn from the lower paid echelons of society. Automating their jobs and not replacing them with anything is going to cause the business model they rely on to fail. That seems fairly uncontroversial to me at least. I know it will happen anyway but ultimately they are cutting their own throats.