Members banned from this thread: evince and Tor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Physical Society Sees The Light: Will It Reject Climate Alarmism?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default American Physical Society Sees The Light: Will It Reject Climate Alarmism?

The American Physical Society (APS) has signalled a dramatic turnabout in its position on "climate change" by appointing three notorious climate skeptics to its panel on public affairs (POPA).

They are:

Professor Richard Lindzen, formerly Alfred P Sloan Professor of Meteorology at Massachussetts Institute of Technology (MIT), a highly regarded physicist who once described climate change alarmism on The Larry King Show as "mainly just like little kids locking themselves in dark closets to see how much they can scare each other and themselves."

John Christy, Professor of Atmospheric Science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, who has written: "I'm sure the majority (but not all) of my IPCC colleagues cringe when I say this, but I see neither the developing catastrophe nor the smoking gun proving that human activity is to blame for most of the warming we see."

Judith Curry, Chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech, a former Warmist (and still a self-described "luke warmer") who has infuriated many of her more extremist colleagues by defending skeptics and by testifying to the US House Subcommittee on the Environment that the uncertainties in forecasting climate science are much greater than the alarmists will admit.

As Anthony Watts has noted, this is news guaranteed to make a Warmist's head explode.

The reason it's so significant is that it comes only three years after one of the APS's most distinguished members - Professor Hal Lewis - resigned in disgust at its endorsement of what he called "the global warming scam."

Disturbed by an "appallingly tendentious APS statement on Climate Change" which "was apparently written in a hurry by a few people over lunch, and is certainly not representative of the talents of APS members", Lewis went public with his letter of resignation to the APS's then President Curtis G Callan Jr. (Callan's replacement Malcolm Beasley appears to be of a more skeptical bent. When he wrote earlier this year to President Obama congratulating him on his support for "science", he studiously avoided any mention of the president's war on climate change)
    It began:
    Dear Curt:
    When I first joined the American Physical Society sixty-seven years ago it was much smaller, much gentler, and as yet uncorrupted by the money flood (a threat against which Dwight Eisenhower warned a half-century ago). Indeed, the choice of physics as a profession was then a guarantor of a life of poverty and abstinence—it was World War II that changed all that. The prospect of worldly gain drove few physicists. As recently as thirty-five years ago, when I chaired the first APS study of a contentious social/scientific issue, The Reactor Safety Study, though there were zealots aplenty on the outside there was no hint of inordinate pressure on us as physicists. We were therefore able to produce what I believe was and is an honest appraisal of the situation at that time. We were further enabled by the presence of an oversight committee consisting of Pief Panofsky, Vicki Weisskopf, and Hans Bethe, all towering physicists beyond reproach. I was proud of what we did in a charged atmosphere. In the end the oversight committee, in its report to the APS President, noted the complete independence in which we did the job, and predicted that the report would be attacked from both sides. What greater tribute could there be?

How different it is now. The giants no longer walk the earth, and the money flood has become the raison d'être of much physics research, the vital sustenance of much more, and it provides the support for untold numbers of professional jobs. For reasons that will soon become clear my former pride at being an APS Fellow all these years has been turned into shame, and I am forced, with no pleasure at all, to offer you my resignation from the Society.
    Lewis went on to describe global warming as "the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist." Yet when Lewis had gathered two hundred plus signatures from fellow members to protest against the APS's position, they found - "Constitution be damned" - that the Council simply refused to accept their petition.

He concluded:
    This scheming at APS HQ is so bizarre that there cannot be a simple explanation for it. Some have held that the physicists of today are not as smart as they used to be, but I don't think that is an issue. I think it is the money, exactly what Eisenhower warned about a half-century ago. There are indeed trillions of dollars involved, to say nothing of the fame and glory (and frequent trips to exotic islands) that go with being a member of the club. Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst. When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of the financial penalty for doing otherwise. As the old saying goes, you don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing. Since I am no philosopher, I'm not going to explore at just which point enlightened self-interest crosses the line into corruption, but a careful reading of the ClimateGate releases makes it clear that this is not an academic question.
    It is inconceivable, given the new panel's constitution, that when the APS releases its new position statement on climate change later this year it will be anything other than broadly skeptical of Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming.

This will mark a major victory for climate skeptics. Up until now, one of the most effective weapons in the climate alarmists' armoury has been to declare that all the world's major scientific institutions subscribe to the Man-Made Global Warming "Consensus."

These include: Academia Brasiliera de Ciencas; Academia Mexicana de Ciencas; Academie des Sciences (France); Academy of Science of South Africa; Accademia dei Lincei (Italy); American Association for the Advancement of Science; American Astronomical Society; American Chemical Society; American Geophysical Union; American Institute of Physics; American Meteorological Society; Australian Bureau of Meteorology; Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society; British Antarctic Survey; Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences; Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society; Chinese Academy of Sciences; Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina (Germany); Environmental Protection Agency; European Federation of Geologists; European Geosciences Union; European Physical Society; Federation of American Scientists; Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies; Geological Society of America; Geological Society of Australia; Geological Society of London; Indian National Science Academy; International Union for Quaternary Research; International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics; National Academy of Sciences; National Center for Atmospheric Research; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; Royal Meteorological Society; Royal Society of Canada; Royal Society; Science Council of Japan.

If that list looks impressive, perhaps it's worth reminding ourselves of Hal Lewis's theory as to why so many scientific institutions have fallen for the scam.
    There are indeed trillions of dollars involved, to say nothing of the fame and glory (and frequent trips to exotic islands) that go with being a member of the club. Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst.
    Yes the American Physical Society's change of heart is significant but we've a long way to go before that oil tanker turns round. Or, as Churchill might have said: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...ming-Consensus
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-22-2014 at 03:39 AM.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

More from Anthony Watts:

That noise you can hear in the distance is the sound of John Cook’s, Dana Nuccitelli’s, and Joe Romm’s heads exploding

Posted on March 20, 2014 by Anthony Watts

Lindzen, Christy and Curry appointed to APS climate statement review panel

Simon from Australian Climate Madness reports:
    The American Physical Society, which previously issued a highly alarmist statement regarding climate change, is to review it, and has appointed three climate realists to [address] the panel of six.
    Here is the press release, which somehow escaped everyone’s a number of climate skeptic bloggers notice until now.

APS to Review Statement on Climate Change

February 20, 2014
    A subcommittee of POPA is reviewing the APS statement on climate change in accordance with the policy to review official statements every five years. Preparations are under way by the APS Panel on Public Affairs (POPA) to review and possibly update the society’s statement on climate change. In the coming months, the APS membership will have a chance to weigh in on any proposed revisions before the society adopts a final draft.

“We intend to keep the membership informed at every stage in this process,” said Robert Jaffe a physicist at MIT and Chair of POPA. “We’re quite eager to make sure that the revision of the climate change statement is done in the most open and orderly way.”

The subcommittee of POPA that is conducting the review posted its background and research materials to the APS website, along with its charge. The research materials include the transcripts of the subcommittee’s January workshop, biographical information on outside climate experts who participated in the workshop, and their slide presentations. These materials are now available online.

The standing policy of the society is to review its statements every five years. The society first adopted the climate change statement seven years ago, but appended an addendum in 2010. The review also coincides with the release of the latest report on the physical science basis of climate change from the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
    The months-long process started last year with the formation of the subcommittee and a steering committee, which is guiding the statement review subcommittee through the review process. In addition to weighing the opinions of experts from its workshop, the review subcommittee is researching information related to climate change and reviewing the roughly 1,500-page climate change report by the IPCC.

If a new statement is drafted, it will be submitted to the full POPA committee in June. Once approved by POPA, it will go to the APS executive board for a vote. If approved there, the proposed statement will be posted on the society’s website for members to read and comment on, likely sometime later in 2014.

Once all of the comments have been collected, POPA will again review the statement and may revise it further based on members’ input. It will then go to the executive board and the full council for a vote on whether the statement should be officially adopted in its final form.

“We’re not rushing this. Climate science and climate change will be around a long time and we want to get this right before sending it out to the membership for review and comment,” Jaffe said.

Source: http://www.aps.org/publications/apsn...mentreview.cfm
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-22-2014 at 06:44 AM.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,664 Times in 7,361 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post

The American Physical Society (APS) has signalled a dramatic turnabout in its position on "climate change" by appointing three notorious climate skeptics to its panel on public affairs (POPA).

They are:

Professor Richard Lindzen, formerly Alfred P Sloan Professor of Meteorology at Massachussetts Institute of Technology (MIT), a highly regarded physicist who once described climate change alarmism on The Larry King Show as "mainly just like little kids locking themselves in dark closets to see how much they can scare each other and themselves."

John Christy, Professor of Atmospheric Science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, who has written: "I'm sure the majority (but not all) of my IPCC colleagues cringe when I say this, but I see neither the developing catastrophe nor the smoking gun proving that human activity is to blame for most of the warming we see."

Judith Curry, Chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech, a former Warmist (and still a self-described "luke warmer") who has infuriated many of her more extremist colleagues by defending skeptics and by testifying to the US House Subcommittee on the Environment that the uncertainties in forecasting climate science are much greater than the alarmists will admit.

As Anthony Watts has noted, this is news guaranteed to make a Warmist's head explode.

The reason it's so significant is that it comes only three years after one of the APS's most distinguished members - Professor Hal Lewis - resigned in disgust at its endorsement of what he called "the global warming scam."

Disturbed by an "appallingly tendentious APS statement on Climate Change" which "was apparently written in a hurry by a few people over lunch, and is certainly not representative of the talents of APS members", Lewis went public with his letter of resignation to the APS's then President Curtis G Callan Jr. (Callan's replacement Malcolm Beasley appears to be of a more skeptical bent. When he wrote earlier this year to President Obama congratulating him on his support for "science", he studiously avoided any mention of the president's war on climate change)
    It began:
    Dear Curt:
    When I first joined the American Physical Society sixty-seven years ago it was much smaller, much gentler, and as yet uncorrupted by the money flood (a threat against which Dwight Eisenhower warned a half-century ago). Indeed, the choice of physics as a profession was then a guarantor of a life of poverty and abstinence—it was World War II that changed all that. The prospect of worldly gain drove few physicists. As recently as thirty-five years ago, when I chaired the first APS study of a contentious social/scientific issue, The Reactor Safety Study, though there were zealots aplenty on the outside there was no hint of inordinate pressure on us as physicists. We were therefore able to produce what I believe was and is an honest appraisal of the situation at that time. We were further enabled by the presence of an oversight committee consisting of Pief Panofsky, Vicki Weisskopf, and Hans Bethe, all towering physicists beyond reproach. I was proud of what we did in a charged atmosphere. In the end the oversight committee, in its report to the APS President, noted the complete independence in which we did the job, and predicted that the report would be attacked from both sides. What greater tribute could there be?

How different it is now. The giants no longer walk the earth, and the money flood has become the raison d'être of much physics research, the vital sustenance of much more, and it provides the support for untold numbers of professional jobs. For reasons that will soon become clear my former pride at being an APS Fellow all these years has been turned into shame, and I am forced, with no pleasure at all, to offer you my resignation from the Society.
    Lewis went on to describe global warming as "the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist." Yet when Lewis had gathered two hundred plus signatures from fellow members to protest against the APS's position, they found - "Constitution be damned" - that the Council simply refused to accept their petition.

He concluded:
    This scheming at APS HQ is so bizarre that there cannot be a simple explanation for it. Some have held that the physicists of today are not as smart as they used to be, but I don't think that is an issue. I think it is the money, exactly what Eisenhower warned about a half-century ago. There are indeed trillions of dollars involved, to say nothing of the fame and glory (and frequent trips to exotic islands) that go with being a member of the club. Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst. When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of the financial penalty for doing otherwise. As the old saying goes, you don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing. Since I am no philosopher, I'm not going to explore at just which point enlightened self-interest crosses the line into corruption, but a careful reading of the ClimateGate releases makes it clear that this is not an academic question.
    It is inconceivable, given the new panel's constitution, that when the APS releases its new position statement on climate change later this year it will be anything other than broadly skeptical of Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming.

This will mark a major victory for climate skeptics. Up until now, one of the most effective weapons in the climate alarmists' armoury has been to declare that all the world's major scientific institutions subscribe to the Man-Made Global Warming "Consensus."

These include: Academia Brasiliera de Ciencas; Academia Mexicana de Ciencas; Academie des Sciences (France); Academy of Science of South Africa; Accademia dei Lincei (Italy); American Association for the Advancement of Science; American Astronomical Society; American Chemical Society; American Geophysical Union; American Institute of Physics; American Meteorological Society; Australian Bureau of Meteorology; Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society; British Antarctic Survey; Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences; Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society; Chinese Academy of Sciences; Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina (Germany); Environmental Protection Agency; European Federation of Geologists; European Geosciences Union; European Physical Society; Federation of American Scientists; Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies; Geological Society of America; Geological Society of Australia; Geological Society of London; Indian National Science Academy; International Union for Quaternary Research; International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics; National Academy of Sciences; National Center for Atmospheric Research; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; Royal Meteorological Society; Royal Society of Canada; Royal Society; Science Council of Japan.

If that list looks impressive, perhaps it's worth reminding ourselves of Hal Lewis's theory as to why so many scientific institutions have fallen for the scam.
    There are indeed trillions of dollars involved, to say nothing of the fame and glory (and frequent trips to exotic islands) that go with being a member of the club. Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst.
    Yes the American Physical Society's change of heart is significant but we've a long way to go before that oil tanker turns round. Or, as Churchill might have said: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...ming-Consensus

Breitbart?

Are you really that desperate?

...that's too bad.

In early 2014, it was reported that the Society signaled an impending change in its position by appointing three noted skeptics to its Panel of Public Affairs (POPA): Richard Lindzen, John Christy and Judith Curry. Breaking the story, journalist James Delingpole noted, "It is inconceivable, given the new panel's constitution, that when the APS releases its new position statement on climate change later this year, it will be anything other than broadly skeptical of Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming. This will mark a major victory for climate skeptics." However, this story was speculation based on the incorrect claim that Lindzen, Christy and Curry had been "appointed" to the Panel on Public Affairs, when in fact they had only participated in a one-day workshop sponsored by one of the subcommittees and were not on the panel.
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Proven right again.....though its taken a few years.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    Breitbart?

Are you really that desperate?

...that's too bad.

In early 2014, it was reported that the Society signaled an impending change in its position by appointing three noted skeptics to its Panel of Public Affairs (POPA): Richard Lindzen, John Christy and Judith Curry. Breaking the story, journalist James Delingpole noted, "It is inconceivable, given the new panel's constitution, that when the APS releases its new position statement on climate change later this year, it will be anything other than broadly skeptical of Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming. This will mark a major victory for climate skeptics." However, this story was speculation based on the incorrect claim that Lindzen, Christy and Curry had been "appointed" to the Panel on Public Affairs, when in fact they had only participated in a one-day workshop sponsored by one of the subcommittees and were not on the panel.
    Jame Delingpole recently resigned from the Daily Telegraph and has now moved to Breitbart, if you are going to post something where is the link? I also posted the same story from WUWT.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Jame Delingpole recently resigned from the Daily Telegraph and has now moved to Breitbart, if you are going to post something where is the link? I also posted the same story from WUWT.
    I see that you went to Wikipedia to get that, the goto source of information for Desh. Here is the transcript of the APS climate change statement review workshop, the fact that Richard Lindzen, Judith Curry and John Christy were even invited to participate on the review panel represents a real sea change in their whole approach. I would draw your attention to what happened just over two years ago when after 67 years of membership, Nobel prize-winning physicist Harold Lewis resigned from the APS.

http://www.examiner.com/article/phys...global-warming

http://www.aps.org/policy/statements...transcript.pdf

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 90 Posts

Any one who doesnt beleive that climate change is a fact by now is blind as a bat and stupid as a turkey.
    Peace Love and Light Wanderingbear

http://www.hippieland.net

9. The Following User Groans At wanderingbear For This Awful Post:

The Dude (03-24-2014)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wanderingbear For This Post:

ZappasGuitar (03-23-2014)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I see that you went to Wikipedia to get that, the goto source of information for Desh. Here is the transcript of the APS climate change statement review workshop, the fact that Richard Lindzen, Judith Curry and John Christy were even invited to participate on the review panel represents a real sea change in their whole approach. I would draw your attention to what happened just over two years ago when after 67 years of membership, Nobel prize-winning physicist Harold Lewis resigned from the APS.

http://www.examiner.com/article/phys...global-warming

http://www.aps.org/policy/statements...transcript.pdf
    Lots of people cite wikipedia, was their some inaccuracy in what I posted?

I imagine they asked the three skeptics you mentioned to join the panel, because to do so takes the wind out of the sails of those who try to use claims of partisanship to discredit the findings of the panel.

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 729 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 152 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingbear View Post
    Any one who doesnt beleive that climate change is a fact by now is blind as a bat and stupid as a turkey.
    Or paid off by big oil
    War Is Peace
    Freedom Is Slavery
    Ignorance Is Strength

George Orwell

13. The Following User Groans At Crashk For This Awful Post:

The Dude (03-24-2014)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crashk For This Post:

wanderingbear (03-24-2014)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Crashk View Post
    Or paid off by big oil
    That's what it is for a great many people.

They are so self absorbed, they couldn't care less what happens to those who come after them, as long as they can live the life they want.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ZappasGuitar For This Post:

The Dude (03-24-2014)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's what it is for a great many people.

They are so self absorbed, they couldn't care less what happens to those who come after them, as long as they can live the life they want.
    Of course there are just a few inconvenient facts such as there have been any warming for 17 years, refute that if you can.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

The Dude (03-24-2014)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course there are just a few inconvenient facts such as there have been any warming for 17 years, refute that if you can.
    Warming is just one of HUNDREDS of negative impacts associated with dumping hundreds of BILLIONS of TONS of pollutants into our atmosphere ever year.

But no matter, let's keep quibbling over the details while we go right on polluting, because your claim means there's nothing wrong with humanity just continuing with the status quo, right?

20. The Following User Groans At ZappasGuitar For This Awful Post:

The Dude (03-24-2014)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Lots of people cite wikipedia, was their some inaccuracy in what I posted?

I imagine they asked the three skeptics you mentioned to join the panel, because to do so takes the wind out of the sails of those who try to use claims of partisanship to discredit the findings of the panel.

You can imagine all you want those sceptics, as you term them, are top notch scientists and not cranks as you would no doubt like to characterise them. I can see that you've never taken a science subject to any great degree otherwise you would know that the basic requirement of all serious scientists is to be a sceptic, to be otherwise is to be a hack and a time server. Those three have all contributed to the IPCC in the past as well, I wonder if you knew that? Professor Richard Lindzen of MIT has published over 240 papers in a long and distinguished career, you only have to look at his CV to see that he is a top flight scientist. He was also the lead author of the 2001 report of the IPCC, I'll bloody guarantee that you didn't know that either.

http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen/CV.pdf
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-23-2014 at 02:01 PM.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Warming is just one of HUNDREDS of negative impacts associated with dumping hundreds of BILLIONS of TONS of pollutants into our atmosphere ever year.

But no matter, let's keep quibbling over the details while we go right on polluting, because your claim means there's nothing wrong with humanity just continuing with the status quo, right?
    You are like so many that cannot demonstrate any objectiveness on this subject. When have I, or anybody else for that matter, spoke about ignoring pollution? This constant need to conflate two different issues is just emotional claptrap. Of course I could say that the answer is to back nuclear power and fracked gas power stations but no doubt you are against that as well. As nearly 50% of your electricity comes from coal there is plenty of scope to clean up pollutants by replacing them with clean gas and nuclear power.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-23-2014 at 01:58 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

The Dude (03-24-2014)