Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Conservatives Outraged!

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    odd... maybe I totally misread you. I thought you said, and, when you said that, I inferred that you were suggesting that the movie was NOT accurate as far as portraying real life. Is it your contention, instead, that every movie ever produced is ACCURATE when it comes to portraying real life? If so, I can imagine that the Wizard of Oz must have given you some serious nightmares. Did you ever wonder why there were no flying monkeys at the zoo?
    I didn't have the heart to inform him that "The Wizard of Oz" was not really portraying real life, as he thinks.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

what was inaccurate about 12 years a slave? what was stylized and invented by Hollywood? Did you see the movie? yes or no?

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

what was inaccurate about 12 years a slave? what was stylized and invented by Hollywood? Did you see the movie? yes or no?
    What is accurate about your posts?

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Getting back to the thread, here is some very good reading about life as a slave from real people that lived it....

"Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves," offers a sobering look at life after slavery, including 500 black-and-white photographs.

Voices and Faces from the Collection

This ain't Hollywood, this ain't fiction, and it is worth the time to read ....

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    "12 Years a Slave" wasn't a work of fiction.

And it's a movie about a personal story. I never heard anyone say that it's supposed to give a full, comprehensive overview of slavery.
    so before we leave... is it fair to say that you think that 12 years a slave is as stylized a version of reality as a 007 movie?
    So now you wanna take a line out of my post and imply I was saying "12 Years a Slave" was a work of fiction?....Really ?

My post clearly has links to the narratives of some people that were actually slaves...thus, This ain't Hollywood, this ain't fiction....

THIS, meaning the material in the links are not
    pretentious nor understated recreations of anything, as might be found in movies or fiction novels ...just very real

I know if there any possibility of mis-characterizing my post, you would be the one to do it...
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It seems to be just like every movie ever produced as far as portraying real life.....

explain what this means.... does every other movie ever produced portray real life accurately? Is THAT what this is supposed to mean? Or, are you saying that every other movie ever produced portrays real life Inaccurately? What is your point here and then, if your point is the latter, please tell me what part of THIS particular movie you felt WAS portrayed inaccurately. Straighten me out here... I am confused by this post of yours, and you have yet to explain it. If this movie is like every other movie ever produced, is it accurate or inaccurate?

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

explain what this means.... does every other movie ever produced portray real life accurately? Is THAT what this is supposed to mean? Or, are you saying that every other movie ever produced portrays real life Inaccurately? What is your point here and then, if your point is the latter, please tell me what part of THIS particular movie you felt WAS portrayed inaccurately. Straighten me out here... I am confused by this post of yours, and you have yet to explain it. If this movie is like every other movie ever produced, is it accurate or inaccurate?

I did not see the movie nor read the memoirs
    of Mr. Northup so I cannot personally judge how
    accurate it is....but I know others have and said it's
    story line is accurate to the memoirs......

but it is a movie....the lines spoken and words used, are script written,
    meanness, kindness, pain, sorrow, joy, suffering, etc., that is depicted, is by necessity, subjective, and scenes and settings are replications of an earlier time.

Every movie contains these things as it must, when trying to re-create real life, especially of a hundred years ago....
    we are limited in our ability to be accurate except in a general sense.... just because of who we are today
    ....my links above do not have these disadvantages. They are the words of real people in their very own words....

just added the last line.
    Last edited by NOVA; 03-11-2014 at 05:56 PM.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I could swear Mr. Bojangles hisself just tap danced right across the board!

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Its been 50+ years so I don't remember much about it except the music....

So there were flying monkeys huh.....are you sure it wasn't' squirrels ?
    So you were lying when you said you never considered whether flying monkeys were real or not.

It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    So you were lying when you said you never considered whether flying monkeys were real or not.

No shit for brains....you got it all wrong as usual....

what I said was " oddly enough, I haven't ever wondered about flying monkeys anywhere, in the zoo, in the wild, or even in outer space."

I did not say anything about if flying monkeys were real or not....you and maineman must think so, after all, you saw it in a movie...a movie about the 'real life' of residents of Oz.

Why can't you morons learn to read....fuck, it ain't that hard.

btw.....can you fly ?

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

No shit for brains....you got it all wrong as usual....

what I said was " oddly enough, I haven't ever wondered about flying monkeys anywhere, in the zoo, in the wild, or even in outer space."

I did not say anything about if flying monkeys were real or not....you and maineman must think so, after all, you saw it in a movie...a movie about the 'real life' of residents of Oz.

Why can't you morons learn to read....fuck, it ain't that hard.

btw.....can you fly ?
    I am a Space Monkey. Of course I fly, moron.

It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    What Hollywood needs to do in order to be "fair" to the "other side" of the slavery "debate" is release a film where all the male slaves are knee-deep in watermelon and song and can't believe their good luck! while the women walk around all long-haired and fine and really appreciative of the opportunity to fuck all their white masters. You could cut from a man dancing around a cotton field with a "man I can't believe my good luck" grin on his face to a woman leaping out of her master's bed, putting flowers in her hair, and thanking him for a great fuck!
    The first sentence made me chuckle

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the main problem I have with an type of 'romaticising' slavery is that people who do such are trying to "water down" the level of evil that was displayed by early settlers and slave owners. I think this is the same attitude that I believe "duck dynasty" had when he made the comment of how happy blacks were where he lived during the Jim Crow era.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

maineman (03-14-2014), Phantasmal (03-14-2014), Rune (03-15-2014)

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Belieber View Post
    12 Years a Slave was a good movie. I bet Maineman fantasized about owning a few slaves while watching this movie.
    You're a sick bugger, inew?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

Rune (03-15-2014)

16. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts

Are you have trouble with reading comprehension again, fool ?

WTF did you think I said in my post that caused that idiotic response....?

This movie is Hollywood's attempt to show real life...

My links show the real thing, didn't you like them or what ?

So; what's your point there? Horses were well cared for too you know. Of course an Irishman at the time had no value whatsoever and were given jobs that masters would not let their slaves do becasue of the dangers involved.

So, what are you trying to say with those pictures?
    Thomas Jefferson (to Richard Price) January 8. 1789 "...wherever the people are well informed they can be trusted with their own government..."

17. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts

Anybody here ever see Mandingo?
    Thomas Jefferson (to Richard Price) January 8. 1789 "...wherever the people are well informed they can be trusted with their own government..."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jet57 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-14-2014), Phantasmal (03-14-2014)