Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Conservatives Outraged!

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,806 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 431 Times in 393 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Devil View Post
    I think you missed the entire point. I'm not denying that there were SOME whites that were struggling during slavery times, sure, but the point is their social condition whether they were impoverished or not were a lot better than black slaves end of story you cannot provide a counter to that because that is how history sees it. This is why you have social programs for minority students today because of past discrimination, and because there were opportunities not afforded to blacks despite their academic accomplishments, and it is because of past and contemporary racism is why we continually have this problem today.
    I would probably say MOST, instead of SOME, inner city whites.

I think your viewpoint is too simplistic. If a slave died at work, his wife and children would be cared for... and could hope for better times. A factory worker's widow and children had nothing to look forward to except homelessness, misery, and starvation.

The white man's "freedom" was an illusion.

And now subsequent generations of those downtrodden white folks are compelled to foot the bill for slavery from long ago...slavery they were drafted to fight against, leave their own impoverished families behind, and which hundreds of thousands of them never returned to.
    RaiderNation <==== Likes getting mounted by randy mules lubed up by Voted4Reagan

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taft2016 View Post

I think your viewpoint is too simplistic. If a slave died at work, his wife and children would be cared for... and could hope for better times. A factory worker's widow and children had nothing to look forward to except homelessness, misery, and starvation.

And now subsequent generations of those downtrodden white folks are compelled to foot the bill for slavery from long ago...slavery they were drafted to fight against, leave their own impoverished families behind, and which hundreds of thousands of them never returned to.
    This!

It's really the untold story of slavery. I am sure Michael McMoore will be making a movie about it anytime now.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    it was the depiction of two slave owners and their relationships with their property. Was it accurate or not?
    Accurate in which sense? The sense of the story told by the movie? Or an accurate portrayal of every slave-master relationship?
    RaiderNation <==== Likes getting mounted by randy mules lubed up by Voted4Reagan

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Devil View Post
    Whites were not allowed to use blacks only bathroom because that is the rules whites designed it. You think blacks who were forced to use a "colored only" bathroom is going to tell a white person to not use their restroom? There was a lot of fear in those times because blacks had no representative power. Not only that they were afraid to end up like Emmitt Till.
    So there was never a case where a white lady had a young child with her and the white bathroom was taken, and it being an emergency, she looked over at the blacks only bathroom and wished she could take her young child in there? Never?

5. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Accurate in which sense? The sense of the story told by the movie? Or an accurate portrayal of every slave-master relationship?
    how in the world could a movie that depicted the relationship between two slave owners and their property possibly be an accurate portrayal of every slave-master relationship? Can you possibly imagine what a totally ridiculous, tap dancing sort of question that is????

Is the Sound of Music an accurate portrayal of every single family musical act in the history of show business?

Is Apollo 13 an accurate portrayal of every single manned space flight ever?

moron.

6. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

how in the world could a movie that depicted the relationship between two slave owners and their property possibly be an accurate portrayal of every slave-master relationship? Can you possibly imagine what a totally ridiculous, tap dancing sort of question that is????

Is the Sound of Music an accurate portrayal of every single family musical act in the history of show business?

Is Apollo 13 an accurate portrayal of every single manned space flight ever?

moron.
    And that's the moronic question you presented me before moving the goal posts, isn't it? Moron.

I don't even know what you mean by "accurate" for God's sake.

Are you saying the average slave in the United States was stolen from a "freed" status and then forced into slavery?

I'd like to see you provide some history to prove that...

If that's not what you're saying, WTF are you babbling about?

7. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

the movie was an adaptation of a non-fiction piece of literature. So... do you think that the author accurately portrayed life as a slave in the south, and do you think that the director and producer of the film accurately transcribed the work from page to screen? Or do you think the whole thing was hyped... from the author exaggerating his treatment to the filmmakers exaggerating his writing?

8. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    The conservatives on this thread are wonderful.

Who else thinks that Granule's avatar looks like something from the middle ages? It just looks so appropriate.
    Now the little creep is going after my avatar. lol.

9. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries

You said "if a slave died at work his wife and children would be cared for...." Really? So I guess living in horse stables is a type of living that serves the comfort of those whom the master means to rule. Black women were raped by their masters and their children raised in a clashing system of injustice and racism. I really think history does not share your above opinion and in fact since we are on the subject of illusion I think your view is quite illusory if you asked me. Never in my life have I heard anyone trying to argue such as futile point such as yours when it comes to the comparison of slavery and impoverished whites. But please continue with your argument because your comparison of the poor white man and the slave is poor.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

Rune (03-16-2014)

11. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

the movie was an adaptation of a non-fiction piece of literature. So... do you think that the author accurately portrayed life as a slave in the south, and do you think that the director and producer of the film accurately transcribed the work from page to screen? Or do you think the whole thing was hyped... from the author exaggerating his treatment to the filmmakers exaggerating his writing?
    It was made to activate leftist operatives. Take Dearthla, for example. The little tool probably ran straight from the theater to JPP where she could start this thread and point her skanky finger at Conservatives.

12. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Excellent question maineman!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

maineman (03-15-2014)

14. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    It was made to activate leftist operatives. Take Dearthla, for example. The little tool probably ran straight from the theater to JPP where she could start this thread and point her skanky finger at Conservatives.
    why am I not surprised that you completely avoided answering the questions posed?

15. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

the movie was an adaptation of a non-fiction piece of literature. So... do you think that the author accurately portrayed life as a slave in the south
    No. I already said, the average slave in the south wasn't stolen from a freed status within the USA and forced into a slavery status. So it wasn't an accurate portrayal of life as a slave in the south.

As for the portrayal of this individual story, I don't know. I haven't delved into the history of it.

History vs. Hollywood History is interesting. You should try it sometime.

I recall carefully reading through the voluminous memoirs of General PGT Beauregard. Buried deep inside it, about 3 or 4 sentences mention an engagement between his troops and a colored regiment at James Island, who broke ranks and ran when the battle got underway. And that's all there was about that.

What was that? That was the first engagement of the Massachusetts 54th, so exalted in the film "Glory." The film actually shows the 54th driving off the Confederates and winning the engagement. So Hollywood History isn't above changing the winner/loser count to further a political agenda.

Was that really necessary to do? It was common on both sides throughout the war for brand new regiments to break ranks and flee in their first engagements. It was no great disgrace, and the troops usually redeemed themselves in later battles.

Which the 54th did. They redeemed themselves valiantly at Battery Wagner.

The moral is, if you rely on Hollywood and politicians for your history... you're not getting history. You're getting entertainment and spin.
    Last edited by Taft2016; 03-15-2014 at 06:20 PM.

16. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FactsMac View Post
    So there was never a case where a white lady had a young child with her and the white bathroom was taken, and it being an emergency, she looked over at the blacks only bathroom and wished she could take her young child in there? Never?
    I don't know. I was never born in that time, as I was born in 1982. If you have proof that whites were forbidden by blacks to use "colored only" restrooms by all means please display your proof.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

Rune (03-16-2014)

18. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Taft it really bothers me that you really are arguing about the poor white man vs the black slave and truly believe the black slave's position was better than the poor white man's.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

Rune (03-16-2014)