Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default ADHD doesn't exist and drugs do more harm than good

• After 50 years in practice Dr Saul says there is no such thing as ADHD
    • Improving your diet, exercising and sleeping more can alleviate symptoms

By Dr Richard Saul

PUBLISHED: 00:26, 11 March 2014 | UPDATED: 08:23, 11 March 2014

Distracted, fidgeting and squirming in his seat, the 13-year-old boy in my consulting room was exhibiting all the classic signs of an attention disorder. His desperate mother hoped that I could do something for her son, who had become sluggish and unfocused at school, did not seem to care that his academic performance was declining, and claimed to feel 'too tired' for sport, which he used to enjoy. He had been diagnosed with ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - and been taking medication for a year but, to the despair of his teachers and mother, his behaviour had not improved at all.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz2veUVfRst

2. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (03-11-2014)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Truth Detector (03-11-2014)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

Deficit parents exist as the sole cause!
    Many parents are using the kids to get the drugs.
    By the millions

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Deficit parents exist as the sole cause!
    Many parents are using the kids to get the drugs.
    By the millions
    It's a very abused drug, and you're right about a lot of parents using it to get drugs for themselves. But that doesn't mean ADHD doesn't exist. I'm going to start calling Tom the Jenny Mccarthy of JPP.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Annie (03-11-2014), The Dude (03-11-2014), Timshel (03-11-2014)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,361 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I can tell you I have it. I was diagnosed my junior year in high school and first took medication my senior year in college. Made all the difference in the world to me. My uncle has ADD and so does my grandfather.

Now I realize there are many hyper (normal) kids who instantly get diagnosed with ADHD and are put on medication to try and calm them down and that over diagnosis seems to be a problem. But to say it doesn't exist?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Annie (03-11-2014), christiefan915 (03-11-2014)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I can tell you I have it. I was diagnosed my junior year in high school and first took medication my senior year in college. Made all the difference in the world to me. My uncle has ADD and so does my grandfather.

Now I realize there are many hyper (normal) kids who instantly get diagnosed with ADHD and are put on medication to try and calm them down and that over diagnosis seems to be a problem. But to say it doesn't exist?

From the article.

Distracted, fidgeting and squirming in his seat, the 13-year-old boy in my consulting room was exhibiting all the classic signs of an attention disorder. His desperate mother hoped that I could do something for her son, who had become sluggish and unfocused at school, did not seem to care that his academic performance was declining, and claimed to feel 'too tired' for sport, which he used to enjoy. He had been diagnosed with ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - and been taking medication for a year but, to the despair of his teachers and mother, his behaviour had not improved at all.

I was not at all surprised. Why? Because, after 50 years of practising medicine and seeing thousands of patients demonstrating symptoms of ADHD, I have reached the conclusion there is no such thing as ADHD. This so-called condition has apparently spread like wildfire across the globe in recent years, with a huge increase in its diagnosis and medication. More than 4 per cent of adults and 11 per cent of children in the U.S. have been diagnosed with ADHD - a leap of more than 40 per cent in the past decade. It's now the most common mental health disorder in the UK and affects around 2 to 5   per cent of school-age children.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

Bullshit. You probably just needed more iron, or more sleep, or maybe glasses or hearing aids. Or maybe you suffered from depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Sensory Processing Disorder, Tourette's Syndrome or OCD. But it wasn't ADHD.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonestorm For This Post:

The Dude (03-11-2014)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonestorm View Post
    Bullshit. You probably just needed more iron, or more sleep, or maybe glasses or hearing aids. Or maybe you suffered from depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Sensory Processing Disorder, Tourette's Syndrome or OCD. But it wasn't ADHD.
    You left out the most plausible... he grew up in Ohio... thus he was prone to chasing cars, tennis balls, frisbees and he really really flipped out over shiny objects.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.2 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (03-12-2014)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

It's a whimsy kid pill!
    Listen just cause rainbows don't shoot out of your ass daily!
    Doesn't mean you need a drug.

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    You left out the most plausible... he grew up in Ohio... thus he was prone to chasing cars, tennis balls, frisbees and he really really flipped out over shiny objects.
    Unfortunately in the past it's been found some Michigan water has somehow found it's way into the Ohio water stream and I was a victim of drinking it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (03-11-2014), The Dude (03-11-2014)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Default ADHD doesn't exist and drugs do more harm than good

Agree with OP. Made up disease used by teachers and parents to absolve them of responsibility.

Sad what they have created. Drug addled yutes that can't care for themselves. All the better for the gobblement to coddle.

I weep for the future of our once great country

18. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Truth Detector (03-11-2014)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

ADD and ADHD do exist. Are they over diagnosed and are the drugs over prescribed? Yes.

Truth is that most boys are much more 'fidgety' than most girls, that's normal and nothing maturity won't take care of. Too many teachers and some parents are looking for ways to medically make boys' behaviors more 'manageable' like girls. Not a good idea.

Some boys, more girls like to 'day dream' and it's often difficult to get their attention. Again, not usually something that calls for medication, but rather preferential seating and extra curricular activities that they are really interested in. Channeling the 'day dreaming' into reading choices and writing exercises is one way to 'use up' that tendency, leaving them able to deal with the more mundane subjects that are difficult for them to concentrate on.

Then there are those kids whom are overwhelmed and overwhelming in their activity levels and/or focusing issues. Stimulants tend to help, drastically. Whether or not they are 'effective' can be noticed within 24 hours of administering. Fine tuning the levels can take months, but is very beneficial academically, socially, and for home environment.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
    This is known as “bad luck.” - Robert Heinlein

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Post:

Cancel 2016.11 (03-11-2014), christiefan915 (03-11-2014), reverendlionelblair (03-12-2014)

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well, you've been cured by the internet now Cawacko! You stupid dummy, running around claiming you have something that doesn't even exist all these years.

Little known fact of modern life; when you think you have a condition, or, even like if you fall and break a leg, consult dudes on the internet because it very likely could be you didn't break your leg at all. Tom is going to start a new blog "Ask Jenny". In the future, take your medical concerns there before making a damned fool of yourself by consulting some doctor, who could even be a lady doctor and then you are really fucked.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    ADD and ADHD do exist. Are they over diagnosed and are the drugs over prescribed? Yes.

Truth is that most boys are much more 'fidgety' than most girls, that's normal and nothing maturity won't take care of. Too many teachers and some parents are looking for ways to medically make boys' behaviors more 'manageable' like girls. Not a good idea.

Some boys, more girls like to 'day dream' and it's often difficult to get their attention. Again, not usually something that calls for medication, but rather preferential seating and extra curricular activities that they are really interested in. Channeling the 'day dreaming' into reading choices and writing exercises is one way to 'use up' that tendency, leaving them able to deal with the more mundane subjects that are difficult for them to concentrate on.

Then there are those kids whom are overwhelmed and overwhelming in their activity levels and/or focusing issues. Stimulants tend to help, drastically. Whether or not they are 'effective' can be noticed within 24 hours of administering. Fine tuning the levels can take months, but is very beneficial academically, socially, and for home environment.
    I daydreamed my way through school, and still spend a good part of my day that way.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Annie (03-11-2014), christiefan915 (03-11-2014), Minister of Truth (03-12-2014)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    • After 50 years in practice Dr Saul says there is no such thing as ADHD
    • Improving your diet, exercising and sleeping more can alleviate symptoms

By Dr Richard Saul

PUBLISHED: 00:26, 11 March 2014 | UPDATED: 08:23, 11 March 2014

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz2veUVfRst
    Great article; too bad much of it will fall on deaf ears because labeling societal behavior as a symptom andrescribing a pill is so much easier than actually finding the source of problems and correctly addressing them.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Well, you've been cured by the internet now Cawacko! You stupid dummy, running around claiming you have something that doesn't even exist all these years.

Little known fact of modern life; when you think you have a condition, or, even like if you fall and break a leg, consult dudes on the internet because it very likely could be you didn't break your leg at all. Tom is going to start a new blog "Ask Jenny". In the future, take your medical concerns there before making a damned fool of yourself by consulting some doctor, who could even be a lady doctor and then you are really fucked.
    I've actually sat at two different dinners with people I've just met who have claimed that ADD doesn't exist and I don't have it. Kind of interesting dynamic I thought that they wanted to argue to my face it was all made up like I was a personal affront to their belief system or something. Regardless I know it's in my family and for me taking medication has made all the positive difference in the world.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Annie (03-11-2014), christiefan915 (03-11-2014)