Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should credit scores be free?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Should credit scores be free?

I'm generally not a fan of new regulations but I find this one intriguing. Credit scores play such an important role in determining one's ability to get a loan and it has been shown a number of them have mistakes on them that it should be easier for consumers to check their scores and correct any errors.

I know there would be challenges in setting this system up but this is one that could have big benefits. Thoughts?

US says banks should give consumers credit scores for free

The nation's top financial consumer protection regulator called on banks to give people free access to their credit scores, a move that would shake up the entire credit reporting industry.

Richard Cordray, head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, called for free sharing of credit scores after the CFPB released a report on the prevalence of errors in credit reports and scores.

Consumers are allowed one free look at their credit reports annually at AnnualCreditReport.com, but credit scores generally cost money. And while the scores are based on the data contained in credit reports, few consumers take advantage of the free offer. Only one-fifth of U.S. adults look at their credit reports every year, the bureau said.

Cordray said that disclosing credit scores to consumers would make them more likely to spend time examining their credit report, particularly if the scores are low. In a letter dated Feb. 10 and released Thursday, he called on credit card issuers to make scores available to consumers, potentially as part of monthly bills.

"We need to get more Americans to pay closer attention to their credit standing, which would benefit lenders, consumers, and the national economy. You can now, relatively easily, help us achieve this goal," Cordray wrote to the banks.

"Although credit scores provide just a partial picture of one's finances, this could raise awareness of credit issues and prompt busy Americans to review their credit standing. If scores are lower than expected, more consumers may take the initiative to request their credit reports, address concerns, investigate errors or fraud-related entries, and improve negative aspects of their credit usage," he said.

The request comes as the CFPB released the latest in a long string of government and private reports calling attention to credit report errors. The agency said it received 31,000 complaints about credit reporting agencies between October 2012 and February 2014, with three-quarters of them related to incorrect information.

Many consumers confuse credit reports and credit scores, and they are equally confused about what they are entitled to see and when. Consumers can see their credit scores in a number of ways. For example, when they apply for a mortgage, lenders must reveal the scores they used in their credit determination.

Consumers also can buy scores through a variety of companies, such as credit monitoring services. A few websites, including Credit.com and Credit Karma, offer free credit scores in exchange for an email address. Discover Card has just began sharing scores with consumers.

Making free credit scores a reality poses many challenges. For one, short of a new federal law, the banking industry would have to sign on to the idea, and the immediate reaction from the American Bankers Association was not positive.

"There are a variety of ways banks work to educate their customers and help them make the right choices," Ken Clayton, the ABA's chief counsel, wrote in response to an inquiry. "It seems inappropriate for a government agency to endorse one 'good idea' as a best practice and seek to impose it on everyone. ... Attempts to dictate one result once again opens the bureau to criticism that it is picking winners and losers, and is overreaching in its efforts to micromanage the marketplace."

John Ulzheimer, a credit expert at Credit Sesame, said though he admires the CFPB for trying, credit card issuers are not in the best position to offer the scores to the public.

"It certainly would increase their costs," said Ulzheimer, who was previously with Fair Issac, the firm that invented the credit score. "There would be programming costs, and they'd have to deal with the customer service issues when consumers have questions about the scores."

The banking industry will also fight the idea, Ulzheimer said.

"I think they are not terribly pleased with that letter and that press release today," he said. "The bureaus will not be very happy about this."

Giving away scores would ruin a lot of business models. Free scores are the most attractive part of many $10-per-month credit monitoring services.

More obstacles

Credit card issuers cannot just give away scores, which are generally governed by nondisclosure agreements. New agreements would have to be signed.

There's also the important point that consumers may have dozens of scores, which are not all created equal. Many banks, insurers and other entities create their own score. Which would the CFPB require banks to provide?

Cordray said the rewards outweigh the disadvantages, howerver, and that consumers need full access to scores to have a fuller picture of their financial standing.

"Credit reports and scores can determine the terms of people's mortgages, whether they qualify for auto loans or if they are eligible for different credit cards," Cordray said. "Making consumers' credit scores freely available on their monthly statement or online makes it easier for them to spot problems with their credit report."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101453730

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why should banks have to buy your score and then give it to you ? You can already get one free each year. If you're going to muck with the program then perhaps expand so the three s oring entities all have to pony your score up. Leave the banks out of it. Actually adding banks sounds lkke a back door way for them to get your score without your permission for marketing/blacklisting.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

The Dude (02-28-2014)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 698 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

I think we should be allowed a free score a month. At the very least a free score each fiscal quarter when the scores update.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Post:

żĄ EL PADRO?! (02-28-2014)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

1 per year is cool!
    What dumbass would have a low score anyway!

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're generally not a fan of regulation? Do you eat meat?
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You have to really enjoy being a slave to argue that you are not entitled to see the information financial institutions are compiling about you. I love these kinds of threads as righties race in to see who can writhe on the ground more slavishly. Carry on.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

9. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2016.11 For This Awful Post:

The Dude (02-28-2014)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Phantasmal (02-28-2014)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Righty 1: I have no right to see anything the banks say about me!

Righty 2: I want to be charged 5,000 dollars for each credit report!

Righty 3: I want to be forced to pay 10 thousand!

Righty 4: I think I should be put in prison for requesting my credit score!

Righty 5: I want to be executed for it!

12. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2016.11 For This Awful Post:

The Dude (02-28-2014)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (03-01-2014), Phantasmal (02-28-2014)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You fucking ass-kissing imbeciles.

15. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2016.11 For This Awful Post:

The Dude (02-28-2014)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Space Monkey (02-28-2014), zappasguitar (02-28-2014)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What a partisan hack!

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twerk Master Miley View Post
    I think we should be allowed a free score a month. At the very least a free score each fiscal quarter when the scores update.
    More importantly, I think they should have to explain how they calculate their scores.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plumber Joe For This Post:

/MSG/ (02-28-2014), Phantasmal (02-28-2014)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are there that many retarded financially stunted people out there!

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    1 per year is cool!
    1) There are people whose credit score went to hell after the housing bust

2) There are people who maxed out their credit cards to raise capital to start a business that didn't succeed. I'm not going to hate on an entrepreneur who tried and failed.

3) Some young folks have almost no financial education and don't really understand what they are doing when they are young and run themselves into debt and bad credit.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    You're generally not a fan of regulation? Do you eat meat?
    Yes, I should have stated my comment more clearly. I feel we are overregulated and many regulations have good intentions but the (negative) unintended consequences overwhelm the original purpose. Thus I tend to take a more skeptical viewpoint at new proposed regulations. That doesn't mean I'm against all of them because I'm not. It's just how I view them.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Righty 1: I have no right to see anything the banks say about me!

Righty 2: I want to be charged 5,000 dollars for each credit report!

Righty 3: I want to be forced to pay 10 thousand!

Righty 4: I think I should be put in prison for requesting my credit score!

Righty 5: I want to be executed for it!
    You creating this conversation in your head or you have claimed to see it somewhere?

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    one who had a false report and was unaware of it. Thats the only real point in getting one at all.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.