Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Cosby has done it again...

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 306 Times in 291 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    So the white women discount what a black man who grew up in a seriously racist America has to say because he was 'middle class black'. That makes total sense
    Cosby wants to have it both ways; he wants to eschew identity politics as it applies to Africa but then he says this:

We, as black folks have to do a better job.
    Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.
    We have to start holding each other to a higher standard..
    We cannot blame the white people any longer.'

So what is he doing with this, if he isn't going right back to that identity politics rooted in African imagery that he just said shouldn't be part of the conversation!
    In Solidarity with Darla, women and rape victims all over the world I too am changing my signature!

" 'I wonder if you were aware that she was not a virgin? There was this narrative that she was an innocent 13 yo when in actual fact she was anything but...this puts a fresh perspective on events[,]' TOM PRENDERGAST about a 13 yo rape victim. The 'events' being, she was drugged, then raped vaginally, orally and anally by a 43 yo man."

How do you like them apples, tommy?

2. The Following User Groans At Dantès For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-06-2014)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dantès For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-05-2014)

4. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So the white women discount what a black man who grew up in a seriously racist America has to say because he was 'middle class black'. That makes total sense

Does he get to speak for the whole black community by virtue of his blackness or by virtue of his wealth or his success or by virtue of his television series. What allows him to speak for everyone and tell Black people how they should wear their hats!
    In Solidarity with Darla, women and rape victims all over the world I too am changing my signature!

" 'I wonder if you were aware that she was not a virgin? There was this narrative that she was an innocent 13 yo when in actual fact she was anything but...this puts a fresh perspective on events[,]' TOM PRENDERGAST about a 13 yo rape victim. The 'events' being, she was drugged, then raped vaginally, orally and anally by a 43 yo man."

5. The Following User Groans At Dantès For This Awful Post:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dantès For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-05-2014), Phantasmal (01-05-2014)

7. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,188 Times in 25,723 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

The man is stereotyping, period. Am I missing context or something? And this has nothing to do with "white women" (or white men) discounting what he says.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Dantès (01-05-2014), Phantasmal (01-05-2014)

9. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I'm saying that he wasn't speaking for the entire black community anymore than someone who considers white-trash hillbillies to be the entire white community.

He's making a huge generalization but no one wants to address that.
    If you mean that not every has no command of the language then fine and Dr Cosby would agree. If you dont realize that all too many either cannot speak otherwise or chose not to then you will, of course, have missed his point. And we all know there are whites, hispanics, asians etc who also have poor command of language but it is obviously important to the good doctor to effect positive change for those of his race both by personal example and shaming if needed. The president has chimed in on occasion aalong these lines. Is he out of line as well ? Perhaps if Jay Z or LeBron etal echoed these sentiments people would consider it. Till then, blacks hamstring themselves for no reason.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,049 Times in 1,996 Posts

I must have missed his claim to be speaking for the entire Black community.

Do you think he knows that's the exclusive domain of guilty white liberals?

11. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Much respect Prak for your love for white women

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

13. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

this has nothing to do with "white women" (or white men) discounting what he says.
    Cosby didn't grow up poor and isn't speaking from experience. So his opinion and $1 will buy a cup of coffee at McDonald's.

14. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The man is stereotyping, period. Am I missing context or something? And this has nothing to do with "white women" (or white men) discounting what he says.
    Stereotyping? I was lucky enough to grow up in a middle class family but I also grew up in Oakland and witnessed plenty of what he speaks about. He is not stereotyping. He's speaking about a specific group of people
    Last edited by cawacko; 01-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

16. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Huge generalization? He's speaking to a specific group of people and he has the gravitas to reach them. He cares and is trying to create positive change yet white women are hating on him for it?
    He appears to be saying that people who talk one way on the street can't also know and speak correct English in another situation. I think that is a general stereotype of Black youth and while it may apply to some, it certainly doesn't apply to all as he is here implying!!

17. The Following User Groans At Dantès For This Awful Post:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dantès For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-05-2014)

19. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Because Pantès grew up poor in the ghetto, don't 'cha know.

20. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stereotyping? I was lucky enough to grow up in a middle class family but I also grew up in Oakland and witnessed plenty of what he speaks about. He is not stereotyping. He's speaking about a specific group of people
    Right-o. And the fact is, if this is how you speak in public (he was referring to people he saw in public) then its moot if they can speak otherwise in private.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

21. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

With respect, Bill Cosby is not worthy to speak about the black community? That I find difficult to understand. And I don't mean this at you personally but white women are saying Bill Cosby can't speak about the black community?
    With respect, he isn't speaking "about the black community," he is telling the "black community" how to dress, how to wear their pants, hats, and so on. If a white man of equal wealth went into the "black community" and said the same things he would be run out of Brooklyn or the Bronx or Harlem. So back we come to these questions, what is it specifically that gives Cosby the right to speak in such terms about the "black community" is it his blackness, hie wealth, his success, his television series or his recognizable visage, his celebrity; what is it that lets him say how the black youth should wear their hats!

22. The Following User Groans At Dantès For This Awful Post:

23. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Only a guilty white liberal can lib-splain it...

24. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dantès View Post
    He appears to be saying that people who talk one way on the street can't also know and speak correct English in another situation. I think that is a general stereotype of Black youth and while it may apply to some, it certainly doesn't apply to all as he is here implying!!
    Umm, there are many who have both street and business smarts. He's speaking to the streets smarts only. One might think you would support that

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

26. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Right-o. And the fact is, if this is how you speak in public (he was referring to people he saw in public) then its moot if they can speak otherwise in private.
    He specifically says "They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English." How does he or you know this? You're confusing street corner talking between black youth; with all Black youth speaking in all other public places, which is the stereotype! Private doesn't enter into it. Certainly there are more public spaces than just street corners are their not, and certainly I have myself heard black youth on the bus carry on completely correct conversations with other passengers and then get off and see three other people and drop the English they were just speaking on the bus! So if I have had that experience why hasn't Cosby?

27. The Following User Groans At Dantès For This Awful Post: