Thread: Well Regulated Militia

1. #271 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,310 Times in 10,501 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralfy View Post
    Actually, they didn't, because several drafts were made and debates took place concerning ratification. Thus, precursors (not just one) were relevant.
    The final version is the only one that is relevant.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (03-18-2019)

3. #272 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,310 Times in 10,501 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Where did you get the idea that soldiers that time used only firearms as weapons?

The precursors did not become irrelevant because they became the basis for ratification debates. Read the section after the one you referred to earlier as "nice".

Infringement refers to complete restriction, abridgement to limitations.

Finally, 2A does not refer to a citizen militia.
    Where did I say they only carried firearms. But, in that regard, you are truly trying to stretch the 2nd to refer to swords. Especially in the context of its application today.

The only amendment that is relevant is the ratified version.

Infringement does not mean complete restriction. It means to limit, just as your synomym does.

The 2A does not specifically refer to a “citizen” militia. It merely refers to a militia. Was there a different militia than a citizen militia at the time? Do you wish to argue the difference between a standing army versus a militia at that time? If you do, you’ll be contradicting one of your earlier posts.

4. #273 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's right. Now, study the subsequent Militia Acts. This time, you will have to find them online and read them.
    All your attempts are accomplishing nothing; because 2A states that the right shall not be infringed and the SC has overruled several attempts by those trying to do so.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

5. #274 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

6. #275 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 15 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    The final version is the only one that is relevant.
    The point is understanding the intent of the final version. To do that, you need to see how it was drafted, the debates surrounding revisions, and how it became operational. You failed to do that, which explains your simplistic and wrong view of 2A and your inability to understand simple concepts, i.e., they are too "abstract" for you.

7. #276 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Where did I say they only carried firearms. But, in that regard, you are truly trying to stretch the 2nd to refer to swords. Especially in the context of its application today.

The only amendment that is relevant is the ratified version.

Infringement does not mean complete restriction. It means to limit, just as your synomym does.

The 2A does not specifically refer to a “citizen” militia. It merely refers to a militia. Was there a different militia than a citizen militia at the time? Do you wish to argue the difference between a standing army versus a militia at that time? If you do, you’ll be contradicting one of your earlier posts.
    You were referring to rocks, knives, and forks, which I did not even mention. Now, you imply in your first sentence that you did not mean only firearms, and yet in your next can't imagine soldiers using anything other than that. You can't even get your story straight.

You also can't follow my argument. The purpose of showing that there are earlier drafts and that debates surrounded revision is not to show that earlier versions matter but that your claim that 2A is simply about the right to bear arms is wrong. Do I have to explain that to you?

Infringement means a violation of a rule. That means when you infringe on the right to bear arms you don't allow it at all. In contrast, abridgment refers to limitations on the rule. Why is this point important? Because the right to bear arms was influenced by English common law, which in based on the NATURAL right to defend oneself. "Natural" means the right to defend oneself is FUNDAMENTAL, i.e., it takes place even WITHOUT a government, a Constitution, or 2A. That's why 2A DOESN'T GRANT the right to bear arms to citizens but PROTECTS it. That's because the right PREDATES 2A.

Does that mean that the right is inviolable in all circumstances? No. That's why, for example, citizens who are convicted and imprisoned are not allowed to bear arms. Fundamental rights cannot be infringed but may be abridged. The problem is that several confuse the two, thinking that a gun ban or gun control goes against 2A. It doesn't because rights may be limited. Given that, do you now understand the concept of a natural right and how it can be abridged?

First, you refer to a citizen militia, and now you contradict yourself by claiming that it merely refers to a militia. Even your second point is wrong! It doesn't merely refer to a militia. Do I need to explain that to you as well?

You don't even know that before 2A states had militias operating as slave patrols, among others? As for your last point, didn't I explain that in my earlier post?

8. #277 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    All your attempts are accomplishing nothing; because 2A states that the right shall not be infringed and the SC has overruled several attempts by those trying to do so.
    But I didn't claim otherwise! I'm talking about the first half of 2A, which is the topic of this thread.

You're not paying attention.

9. #278 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

10. #279 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But I didn't claim otherwise! I'm talking about the first half of 2A, which is the topic of this thread.

You're not paying attention.
    OH, I'm paying attention and all you're doing is trying to make a case where it's OK for the Government to take firearms from people who have committed no crime.
    The same Government that the 2A was designed to protect us from.

11. #280 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't see the difference between trolling using a new account or an old one for logical reasons.
    It was written to consider how you see the difference or not.

It was written for the purpose it was intended for.

Deal with it.

12. #281 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,634 Times in 10,060 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Why don't gun nuts get that the 2nd amendment very specifically infers that though the right to bear arms shall not be infringed that this right does not come without regulations? Do they just read only the part of the 2nd amendment that the like and not the whole thing?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

right of the people to keep and bear Arms

It does not say right of the Militia to keep and bear Arms

13. #282 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Good lord who drug up this 5 year old thread?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

14. #283 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    If you're going to apply originalist thinking to the Constitution, then you must apply that same originalist thinking to what "arms" meant back in the 18th century.

So people have the right to have muskets, but not handguns, semi-automatics, rifles, or shotguns.

Just muskets.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

15. #284 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    If you're going to apply originalist thinking to the Constitution, then you must apply that same originalist thinking to what "arms" meant back in the 18th century.

So people have the right to have muskets, but not handguns, semi-automatics, rifles, or shotguns.

Just muskets.
    Then get off your computer; because the 1st doesn't say anything about the internet.

<drops mic and walks off>