Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having free speech does not mean you are free from consequence

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Having free speech does not mean you are free from consequence

In another thread I made a similar post as the above title.....

This is in regards to Phil Robertson and the countless drones who keep yelling "Phil Robertson has a right to free speech." People think free speech means you are free from consequence. Funny, these people claim to be Christian and forget that God supposedly giving human beings free will still punishes people for exercising the very gift he has given human beings "freewill." At any corporate job especially mines which is a hospital all associates sign a contract and very few read the contract which indicates that employees are not allowed to go on social media sites to bad mouth the very company they represent (as I imperfectly state).

In other words if A&E is giving me $15 million dollars for the entire year, they can dictate contractually what I can do even if I'm doing an interview with another company because contractually, I am STILL representing A&E. Similar with my hospital if I said on facebook openly I hate so and so hospital, an employee that is offended can go to human resources and complain and in essence I can get written up. Of course my hospital would ask me to either delete the message or put it in private or kindly ask me to "keep it to myself."

In my opinion I think this was a financial ploy which A&E intelligently capitalized on and the many drones bought into. So for the record folks, Phil Robertson exercised his free speech because he was not penalized legally for what he said, it's just that a company exercised their right contractually to punish an associate who represents them. If you are a conservative Christian or Christian period you'd understand that freewill in theological terms, has a consequence.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

Anti-Party (12-30-2013), Canceled.2014.2 (12-30-2013), christiefan915 (12-31-2013), evince (12-31-2013), Timshel (12-30-2013)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,049 Times in 1,996 Posts

I didn't even know who Phil Robertson was until the faux poutrage of guilty white liberals made him a media star.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

" Phil Robertson exercised his free speech because he was not penalized legally for what he said"

Thats an interesting take.....so just WHAT did this dude say that he subject him to a legal penalty...?

Cite the law that is applicable. Do you have a copy of his contract with A&E or something ?
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

Callinectes (12-31-2013), Canceled.2014.2 (12-30-2013), Truth Detector (12-30-2013)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Its been apparent to me that this whole kerffufle was about $. If there was any further nuance it might be a commentary on the lefty outrage when the Dixie. Chix had their free speech melt down.
    But these well heeled good old boys know how to make a buck. They were already wealthy from the day job and then they made doing whatever they do on tv the biggest cable show ever.
    The network was good with it. They can "suspend" the guy with filming all but complete and they could end it in 6 months or, even better have the public "force" them into changing right now.
    Cha-ching ! Brilliant !
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    " Phil Robertson exercised his free speech because he was not penalized legally for what he said"

Thats an interesting take.....so just WHAT did this dude say that he subject him to a legal penalty...?

Cite the law that is applicable. Do you have a copy of his contract with A&E or something ?
    No I don't but in Egypt you can serve time for insulting the government. The point I am making is that those who designed the constitution understood that a monarchy that restricts speech is a country that is dangerous. My point is, is that Phil Robertson was free to say what he said. No police knocked on his door to take him to jail, nor were there federal agents present to take him in. He did not suffer "legal" persecution because as I have implied already, state and federal agents are viceroys to the constitution. So Phil had absolute freedom to say what he said but people think because A&E suspended him they think a private company ought to abide by the constitution.

If a company pays you such and such amount per year they have every right to dictate what you can and cannot say because it's a PRIVATE COMPANY. Just like my hospital. If we want, police that are not welcomed at our facility can be asked to leave because it's PRIVATE PROPERTY. A&E is not government sanctioned and even if it was people are still accountable for what they say.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-31-2013), evince (12-31-2013)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Its been apparent to me that this whole kerffufle was about $. If there was any further nuance it might be a commentary on the lefty outrage when the Dixie. Chix had their free speech melt down.
    But these well heeled good old boys know how to make a buck. They were already wealthy from the day job and then they made doing whatever they do on tv the biggest cable show ever.
    The network was good with it. They can "suspend" the guy with filming all but complete and they could end it in 6 months or, even better have the public "force" them into changing right now.
    Cha-ching ! Brilliant !
    This was a brilliant ploy.

People bought into the money making scheme. I see so much support for Phil on facebook and people are now watching Duck Dynasty. Seriously what the fuck is Duck Dynasty? Never heard of Phil until this recent issue.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun Devil For This Post:

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Money View Post
    I didn't even know who Phil Robertson was until the faux poutrage of guilty white liberals made him a media star.
    The faux poutrage seemed to all come from the right wing crybabies wailing about A&E choice to suspend him temporarily.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timshel For This Post:

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,049 Times in 1,996 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hasa Diga Eebowai View Post
    The faux poutrage seemed to all come from the right wing crybabies wailing about A&E choice to suspend him temporarily.

It did?

Have you seen Zappy's thread?

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Devil View Post
    This was a brilliant ploy.

People bought into the money making scheme. I see so much support for Phil on facebook and people are now watching Duck Dynasty. Seriously what the fuck is Duck Dynasty? Never heard of Phil until this recent issue.
    Its the higest cable show ever.
    I noticed a heavy influx of DD merchandise at the walmart we grocery shop the week this broke. If youre buying nationwide you cant just snap your fingers and make that stuff appear, that takes months. Brilliant...
    The jist is that these guys make a very very populay duck call so the show is a day in the life sort of thing like all reality shows. Ive seen like 2 minutes of the actial show but wstch any reality show and you have the idea. I suppose that these guys got rich off duck calls is the hook.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No I don't but in Egypt you can serve time for insulting the government. The point I am making is that those who designed the constitution understood that a monarchy that restricts speech is a country that is dangerous. My point is, is that Phil Robertson was free to say what he said. No police knocked on his door to take him to jail, nor were there federal agents present to take him in. He did not suffer "legal" persecution because as I have implied already, state and federal agents are viceroys to the constitution. So Phil had absolute freedom to say what he said but people think because A&E suspended him they think a private company ought to abide by the constitution.

If a company pays you such and such amount per year they have every right to dictate what you can and cannot say because it's a PRIVATE COMPANY. Just like my hospital. If we want, police that are not welcomed at our facility can be asked to leave because it's PRIVATE PROPERTY. A&E is not government sanctioned and even if it was people are still accountable for what they say.
    Lets try not talking in circles, ok.. ?
    First....this ain't Egypt, and our country does not prohibit free speech...as you acknowledge, he was free to say what he said, and did NOT suffer legal persecution.

Whether a company pays you such and such amount per year, they have NO right to dictate what you can and cannot say as a citizen unless you've signed a contract stating that
    you've relinquished your free speech rights, and only a fool would agree to that. He was expressing his religious beliefs....certainly a protected free speech.

I agree that public opinion can have some impact on your popularity for what you say in public, and it does....as it did with the Dixie Chicks....but A&E really had no right to sanction him with job loss or to forfeit his pay unless he violated his contract in some way.....
    Being hired to perform in a TV show doesn't automatically mean you represent the TV station or speak for the network unless that is stipulated in writing.

Personally, I think there might have been some behind the scenes conversations between their lawyers we won't hear about.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

Truth Detector (12-30-2013)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 538 Times in 476 Posts

Phil isn't responsible if a few queers get nervous when he speaks his mind in a magazine. You poor filthy sensitive creatures. We certainly don't want you to get nervous or uncomfortable with any inflammatory speech.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hasa Diga Eebowai View Post
    Re-writing history again ?.....so typical...

The faux poutrage came from the homos....obviously the left....if not for them, there would have been no phoney suspension.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 538 Times in 476 Posts

Jesus said marriage is a man and a woman. Anyone consider that inflammatory speech?

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael Pequod View Post
    Jesus said marriage is a man and a woman. Anyone consider that inflammatory speech?
    HAhaha....I don't what JC said about anything but nature and biology sure has proven it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dear dunce; has it occurred to you why Phil was suspended in the first place?

God you lefttards are incredibly stupid.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.