Thread: I still can't believe that...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default I still can't believe that...

over a year after I quit smoking I still have some really strong cravings for a cigarette...

Will they ever end?!

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I quite several years ago. Pretty much as soon as I was out of my 20's, I could no longer run with no effects from the smoking. So I quit it, because I'm addicted to running and it was the one thing I wouldn't give up for smoking.

I still crave them. Worse, I know people who have told me they quit 20 years ago, and that if they invented a cig tomorrow that had no ill health effects, they would go back.

So, no, I don't think they ever end. Just picture yourself dying a very painful death from lung cancer whenever you get the urge. That seems to work for men. I picture women I know who are ten years old then I am, and look 20 or more years older. From smoking.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sigh... Not very promising.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A lot of it seems to depend on what you tell yourself. I quit more than ten years ago, and simply said not "I quit smoking", but "I don't smoke". It seems a trivial distinction, but has enough psychological impact to make a difference.

If you've changed nothing else in your life, though, those smoking-related cues are all around you and at times they can be pretty powerful. The best thing to do there is to actively form new associations for each of those cues, and make them non-smoking related.

I guess I was stubborn about it, and maybe that helped. Once I stopped for good (and had never smoked in the house or the Jeep, so those associations didn't exist) I honestly didn't crave again. Now I find the smell of cigarette smoke aversive and try to avoid it whenever possible.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hmm. No, I think that could be an important distinction, and I'm going to start thinking about myself that way. Because I still think of myself as an ex-smoker, and maybe that's not such a great idea.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think of smoking as something I used to do... It doesn't keep the cravings away.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

wish I was addicted to running.
    "Fuck you niggers" July 11, 2009 Tinfoil explaining how conservatives are unfairly labeled as racists.

"You deserve to be beheaded and for your head to placed on a pike, in the middle of the park, where children can see what happens to those that act the way you do." August 5, 2009 USFreedom911's response to a left leaning opinion.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    wish I was addicted to running.
    Have you ever done it Tiana? You never know, because it is addictive. But you have to do it for a while, regularly, before you feel it. I know you go to the gym right? I do too, but I never got addicted to the treadmill. It's running outside that I love.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll do "my version of" running. I just never seem to enjoy it. I do it because I don't want to be a fat pig, but its work and every second I'm running/counting down until my 20-25 minutes is up, I know that I'm working. Any tips? I've been hoping some endorphins would be released, just once......but no such luck.
    "Fuck you niggers" July 11, 2009 Tinfoil explaining how conservatives are unfairly labeled as racists.

"You deserve to be beheaded and for your head to placed on a pike, in the middle of the park, where children can see what happens to those that act the way you do." August 5, 2009 USFreedom911's response to a left leaning opinion.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    Yeah, I'll do "my version of" running. I just never seem to enjoy it. I do it because I don't want to be a fat pig, but its work and every second I'm running/counting down until my 20-25 minutes is up, I know that I'm working. Any tips? I've been hoping some endorphins would be released, just once......but no such luck.
    The only tip I have, if it can be called one, is that, I'm the way you describe when I run on the treadmill, which of course, I have to do all winter. But in the summer, spring and fall, I run outside as often as I can, weather permitting. And for whatever reason, that's when I get a high from it that I just don't get on the treadmill. Even though, the treadmill is just as good, and can even be a better run, because I notice I push myself more on the treadmill, constantly upping the speed. But I still don't get the high. On the other hand, I've gotten that addictive feeling about spin classes lately. I love them.