Thread: Nigerian survives two days at sea, in underwater air pocket

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Nigerian survives two days at sea, in underwater air pocket

Truly fantastic story, I can only imagine the depth of despair that man went through.

A Nigerian man has survived for two-and-a-half days trapped 30m (98ft) deep in freezing seawater. Harrison Okene, 29, was on board the tug boat Jascon-4 when it capsized in heavy swells. It sank to the seabed, upside down, but Mr Harrison was trapped in an air pocket and able to breathe. Of the other 12 people on board, 10 bodies have already been found and Mr Harrison is assumed to be the only survivor. Mr Harrison told Reuters journalist Joe Brock that he could hear fish eating the dead bodies of his fellow crew members.

Intense thirst

The Jascon-4 capsized on 26 May, about 32km (20 miles) off the coast of Nigeria, while it was stabilising an oil tanker at a Chevron platform. Mr Harrison was working there as a cook, according to the ship's owners, West African Ventures. Mr Harrison told Reuters he was in the toilet when he realised that the boat was beginning to turn over, and as the vessel sank, he managed to find his way to an area with an air pocket. Mr Harrison survived in an air pocket, 30m underwater in pitch darkness "I was there in the water in total darkness just thinking it's the end. I kept thinking the water was going to fill up the room but it did not," he said. "I was so hungry but mostly so, so thirsty. The salt water took the skin off my tongue." "I could perceive the dead bodies of my crew were nearby. I could smell them. The fish came in and began eating the bodies. I could hear the sound." But after 60 hours, Mr Harrison heard the sound of knocking. A team from the DCN global diving company had come to investigate - sent by Chevron and West African Ventures. "We expected it to be a body recovery job," DCN spokesperson Jed Chamberlain told the BBC's Impact programme. Mr Harrison "actually grabbed the second diver who went past him," Mr Chamberlain said, adding that the diver concerned got quite a fright. "This changed the whole nature of the operation to a rescue operation."

Decompression

But even after Mr Harrison had been found, he still faced a complex process to bring him out safely. Having been at such depth for so many hours, he needed time in a decompression chamber to normalise his body pressure. Christine Cridge, a medical director at the Diving Diseases Research Centre (DDRC), advised the rescue team during this process. "It's a situation I've not come across before," she told the BBC's Newsday programme. "After a certain amount of time at pressure, nitrogen will dissolve into the tissues. If he'd ascended directly from 30m to the sea surface..... it's likely he'd have had a cardiac arrest, or at best, serious neurological issues. Mr Harrison describes his story as a "miracle", but he also told Reuters: "When I am at home sometimes it feels like the bed I am sleeping in is sinking. I think I'm still in the sea again. I jump up and I scream." Jan Messchendorp, general manager of West African Ventures said in a statement: "We are very grateful for the survival of Mr Harrison. Our thoughts continue to be with the families of the rest of the crew." He added that the search and rescue operation has now been stopped for safety reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22888828
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 12-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-05-2013)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,085 Times in 25,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    Truly fantastic story, I can only imagine the depth of despair that man went through.

A Nigerian man has survived for two-and-a-half days trapped 30m (98ft) deep in freezing seawater. Harrison Okene, 29, was on board the tug boat Jascon-4 when it capsized in heavy swells. It sank to the seabed, upside down, but Mr Harrison was trapped in an air pocket and able to breathe. Of the other 12 people on board, 10 bodies have already been found and Mr Harrison is assumed to be the only survivor. Mr Harrison told Reuters journalist Joe Brock that he could hear fish eating the dead bodies of his fellow crew members.

Intense thirst

The Jascon-4 capsized on 26 May, about 32km (20 miles) off the coast of Nigeria, while it was stabilising an oil tanker at a Chevron platform. Mr Harrison was working there as a cook, according to the ship's owners, West African Ventures. Mr Harrison told Reuters he was in the toilet when he realised that the boat was beginning to turn over, and as the vessel sank, he managed to find his way to an area with an air pocket. Mr Harrison survived in an air pocket, 30m underwater in pitch darkness "I was there in the water in total darkness just thinking it's the end. I kept thinking the water was going to fill up the room but it did not," he said. "I was so hungry but mostly so, so thirsty. The salt water took the skin off my tongue." "I could perceive the dead bodies of my crew were nearby. I could smell them. The fish came in and began eating the bodies. I could hear the sound." But after 60 hours, Mr Harrison heard the sound of knocking. A team from the DCN global diving company had come to investigate - sent by Chevron and West African Ventures. "We expected it to be a body recovery job," DCN spokesperson Jed Chamberlain told the BBC's Impact programme. Mr Harrison "actually grabbed the second diver who went past him," Mr Chamberlain said, adding that the diver concerned got quite a fright. "This changed the whole nature of the operation to a rescue operation."

Decompression

But even after Mr Harrison had been found, he still faced a complex process to bring him out safely. Having been at such depth for so many hours, he needed time in a decompression chamber to normalise his body pressure. Christine Cridge, a medical director at the Diving Diseases Research Centre (DDRC), advised the rescue team during this process. "It's a situation I've not come across before," she told the BBC's Newsday programme. "After a certain amount of time at pressure, nitrogen will dissolve into the tissues. If he'd ascended directly from 30m to the sea surface..... it's likely he'd have had a cardiac arrest, or at best, serious neurological issues. Mr Harrison describes his story as a "miracle", but he also told Reuters: "When I am at home sometimes it feels like the bed I am sleeping in is sinking. I think I'm still in the sea again. I jump up and I scream." Jan Messchendorp, general manager of West African Ventures said in a statement: "We are very grateful for the survival of Mr Harrison. Our thoughts continue to be with the families of the rest of the crew." He added that the search and rescue operation has now been stopped for safety reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22888828
    I saw film of the rescue yesterday, it was a miracle. This poor guy will probably live with PTSD the rest of his life.

Here's a link to the film. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=51e_1385934620

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I saw film of the rescue yesterday, it was a miracle. This poor guy will probably live with PTSD the rest of his life.

Here's a link to the film. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=51e_1385934620
    It's beats the hell out of me how anybody can remain sane after being confined for two days in freezing cold water and pitch black darkness.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,085 Times in 25,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    It's beats the hell out of me how anybody can remain sane after being confined for two days in freezing cold water and pitch black darkness.
    I know. And when the divers talk to the guy he answers in a perfectly normal tone. He's made of sterner stuff.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

"the man added that he had recently inherited a large sum of money numbering in millions, and was seeking someone in the united states to help him transfer it to a u.s. based bank account. He would need an investment up front but promised that anyone that would be able to assist would be handsomely rewarded for their time and effort"

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.