Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Do I need antivirus

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anyway - XP is OOOOGGGLLYYYY. THE OOOOOGGGGGGLLLLIIIIESSST operating system since the last truly Macintosh Mac OS.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Macs are only safer because they are only a small section of the market, it stands to reason that if 95% of the market is Windows most hackers and viruses would be designed for Windows. However, there are some nasty worms and viruses out there designed for the Mac.

It is a myth that you will never have problems with Macs, I used to make about 10% of my money from repairing Macs when I used to run that business. Considering their share of market it is ridiculous to say that they have no problems. Unix doesn't make them "better" just more annoying. Thankfully OSX was designed to run more like Windows to begin with. Imagine being surpassed by the company who copied you to begin with.....
    I'm going to disagree . . . but only to the degree of a quibble. A minor quibble, at that.

The Mac OS is intrinsically *slightly* less vulnerable to malicious exploits. It hasn't been cobbled together from bits of badly documented purchased code to quite the same extent as Windows. It's a very small advantage but it does exist.

Other than that, I agree with you entirely.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In Vista they were actually kind of worried about all the unnecessary re-coding that was being done...

They're replacing years and years of tested code with new stuff for little reason.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    My first one to buy was a Vic 20...
    Then an Osborne CPM machine.
    Well, I'll join the Old Fart parade. I had a Vic 20. Also a Pet. I not only had a Commodore 64, I took one apart just for the . . . er, instructional value.

Here's a fun fact for y'all: when the Stanford superconducting particle accelerator was first run, the steering magnets were controlled by a battery of several hundred highly modified C64's. An early application of parallel processing.
    -- V

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    opps ... i am not sure that they support MAC's
    They do. I have NAV on all my Macs.
    -- V

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    Well, I'll join the Old Fart parade. I had a Vic 20. Also a Pet. I not only had a Commodore 64, I took one apart just for the . . . er, instructional value.

Here's a fun fact for y'all: when the Stanford superconducting particle accelerator was first run, the steering magnets were controlled by a battery of several hundred highly modified C64's. An early application of parallel processing.
    Interesting how we have gone back to the serial bus for perhipherals ?
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

H2O, it is a sure bet that all women will swoon as you talk about how you got that triple roll on the 20 side dice that you were going for and give them step by step descriptions of your last Shadowland game, including word for word descriptions of conversations with the GM.

They love that stuff, you'll get laid in no time.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's pretty sad that I understood all of that, Damo.

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    He's talking about those sensationilist reports of things lighting on fire. It's really an exageration - sometimes XBox's will overheat, but I've never heard about one "lighting on fire.

A PC for the same price as an XBox wouldn't be worth playing games on. But honestly, you're going to need a PC anyway. And upgrading a normal PC from "surfing the internet" standards to basic gaming standards costs about as much as an XBox 360 anyway. People who have an super-expensive PC really don't have much more than better graphics - if you don't know how to lower the setting to play a PC game, you're not smart enough for us. Also, PC games are cheaper. Consoles make up for the fact that they sell the base hardware at a loss by upping the price of the games.

"Far more fun"? Howso? I really like PC games, mostly because they don't automatically assume you're an idiot while you play them.
    will i dissagree with you , people who do put more $ into their pc do have an advantage over people who dont, and no i am not talking about graphics, faster cpus, more memory better NICs you name it, it dose make a differance. as for an xbox or console everyone is limited to the same hardware, witch in the end makes it more even in terms of having an advantage or dissadvantage, on a console its about you skill not you bank roll or what you know about pc hardware and software. Plus on a pc people are able to minipulate many more aspects of the game enviroment, unlike a counsloe, not that it cant be done but far less likely to happen.

counsole dont assume that anyone is an idiot anymore then a pc.

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

11. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    H2O, it is a sure bet that all women will swoon as you talk about how you got that triple roll on the 20 side dice that you were going for and give them step by step descriptions of your last Shadowland game, including word for word descriptions of conversations with the GM.

They love that stuff, you'll get laid in no time.
    What?

You better hang onto the woman you got man.

12. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    What?

You better hang onto the woman you got man.
    sHHHHH! I'm giving him "good" advice!
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle