Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Insanity of Glenn Beck

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,716 Times in 27,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default The Insanity of Glenn Beck

CNN rightwing pundit show last night: Glenn Beck.

He said (paraphrasing) in relation to alan greenspans comments about the Iraq war and oil: "So WHAT if the iraq war was about oil. Shouldn't it be? This country's economy depends on cheap plentiful oil."

The man has no shame.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

He said (paraphrasing) in relation to alan greenspans comments about the Iraq war and oil: "So WHAT if the iraq war was about oil. Shouldn't it be? This country's economy depends on cheap plentiful oil."

The man has no shame.

Well, at least there is some honesty, there. Haven't heard that on the right since James Baker in the 1st Gulf War.

Beats Neil Cavuto taking Alan Greenspan to task for even suggesting such a thing, and equating it with a 'grassy knoll' theory that only fringies like MoveOn believe...

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,716 Times in 27,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Lorax, it reminds me of when the WMD went missing, and I heard righwing talk radio dudes say "So What if there's no WMD? What about the mass graves and torture chambers?"

For some strange reason, it all just makes me believe these war mongers simply wanted a war to beat up and kick ass on some petty little dictator thug. The reasons for the war didn't really matter. Just the act of war and kicking ass, seems to be the motivation.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,910 Times in 21,670 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

The guy is a whack... Ive been listening to his radio show for years.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"For some strange reason, it all just makes me believe these war mongers simply wanted a war to beat up and kick ass on some petty little dictator thug. The reasons for the war didn't really matter. Just the act of war and kicking ass, seems to be the motivation."

There is definitely truth to this. We were all angry after 9/11, but there is a different psychology at work with the anger of a fair portion of America. There is a testosterone element involved, to be sure. I knew when Bush said (paraphrasing) "you won't see a lot of this war on TV", that it wouldn't fly with this element. They needed "shock & awe" to ease their rage over 9/11, and it didn't matter who was the recipient.

It's the same psychology behind a nutty football fan whose team loses a big game, so he picks a relatively non-threatening target at the bar & beats the snot out of him...

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    "For some strange reason, it all just makes me believe these war mongers simply wanted a war to beat up and kick ass on some petty little dictator thug. The reasons for the war didn't really matter. Just the act of war and kicking ass, seems to be the motivation."

There is definitely truth to this. We were all angry after 9/11, but there is a different psychology at work with the anger of a fair portion of America. There is a testosterone element involved, to be sure. I knew when Bush said (paraphrasing) "you won't see a lot of this war on TV", that it wouldn't fly with this element. They needed "shock & awe" to ease their rage over 9/11, and it didn't matter who was the recipient.

It's the same psychology behind a nutty football fan whose team loses a big game, so he picks a relatively non-threatening target at the bar & beats the snot out of him...
    Do you think that the kind of person you are describing here, developed this rage on 9/12? I think that you are right, and this is some interesting stuff, but I really wonder if these kinds of people aren't always enraged. You know, about something. Maybe just at life. In order for that rage to last this long, you really have to wonder.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Do you think that the kind of person you are describing here, developed this rage on 9/12? I think that you are right, and this is some interesting stuff, but I really wonder if these kinds of people aren't always enraged. You know, about something. Maybe just at life. In order for that rage to last this long, you really have to wonder.
    I saw it in my Dad, actually, who is not generally an angry man. Something really weird happened to him after 9/11 - there was some very uncharacteristic behavior, and a lot of mis-placed anger. Maybe there was something seething below the surface for years prior, but I think it was a genuine affront to the fact that such an attack could be carried out against America, who he had previously thought was invincible.

I also saw it to a lesser degree among some of his friends, and among the older generation in general. It's probably much more complex than my pop psychology could break down, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that his generation lived through Pearl Harbor, and saw themselves collectively as building a strong America that could never be attacked like that again. 9/11 shattered a feeling of safety & power that they had built for decades...

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I saw it in my Dad, actually, who is not generally an angry man. Something really weird happened to him after 9/11 - there was some very uncharacteristic behavior, and a lot of mis-placed anger. Maybe there was something seething below the surface for years prior, but I think it was a genuine affront to the fact that such an attack could be carried out against America, who he had previously thought was invincible.

I also saw it to a lesser degree among some of his friends, and among the older generation in general. It's probably much more complex than my pop psychology could break down, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that his generation lived through Pearl Harbor, and saw themselves collectively as building a strong America that could never be attacked like that again. 9/11 shattered a feeling of safety & power that they had built for decades...
    Ok...that is interesting.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    The guy is a whack... Ive been listening to his radio show for years.
    I would agree with this, now that I know who he actually is. Cypress used to call me this guy?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I would agree with this, now that I know who he actually is. Cypress used to call me this guy?
    Oh that's nothing. You should see what he calls you off board.

Of course, you still get off easier than SF does.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Oh that's nothing. You should see what he calls you off board.

Of course, you still get off easier than SF does.
    M'eh.

I'm too sexy to care.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

The man has no shame.
    Umm Truth is truth.
    The shame belongs on America for what we have done in the pursuit of oil.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah many peoples sence of safety was shaken badly.
    Kind of like the unsinkable titanic sinking....
    And the older you are the less you can tolerate change.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Angry

Glenn Beck = radical far-right facist with a smug attitude
    "And damned right I compare pro-abortion to pro-slavery." - Good Luck

"In the first place, as I have carefully explained, I did NOT compare abortion to the holocaust or slavery." - Good Luck after I showed his offensive remarks to everyone

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

9/11 has become the catch-all rationale for anything dumb we might do .. and it's now the supposed buzzword to release the cowboy in us all.

In truth, 9/11 proved how easily Americans are manipulated. All the evidence of that manipulation anyone would ever need is absolutely everywhere to be found. You almost have to be an American to be too blind to see it.

You almost have to be an American not to see its intent and purpose .. because we've done it before.

This was far from a football team that picked a weak opponent to beat up on to revenge a loss .. this is more like invading a small country to control their resources .. and inventing a rationale to do it.

We've done it before .. many times ..

... but it seems that you have to be an American not to know that history.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.