Thread: A co-equal Presidency.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,903 Times in 21,665 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default A co-equal Presidency.

I complained when Bush made attempts to increase the powers of the Presidency and its area of control, and if you look at history its been the goal of every modern president. But, is it what's best for America and is it Constitutional?

There are many examples one of the more recent and controversial of them was when Congress gave GWB the power to conduct war in Iraq. They simply gave away there authority to declare war in a blanket fashion to an over zealous commander in chief. There are countless other examples that are less glaring but include budget negotiations and Congressional Agenda setting. Im not so sure that such a big and powerful presidency is what the Founders intended, what the Constitution calls for and what is best for America.

This leads me to something I believe President Obama has done, intentionally but not overtly. President Obama has shrunk the size and power of the Presidency, he has been attacked for it, Congress and opponents have called it a failure to lead. Where was the praise from the strict Constructionists for President Obama when he determined that he should go to Congress for approval to strike Syria? Reagan struck Libya without such approval!

Now it comes to the current debt limit and CR issues in Congress. Is it really the President's place to be negotiating? Sure it is at some level, when it comes to his veto power, but that does not come into play until Congress comes to some agreement on a bill. At this point it seems to me Congress should be negotiating maybe with an eye toward what the president will veto or not, but not with his active engagement.

Intentionally or not, President Obama has shrunk the power and size of the Presidency and I think its a good thing.

Thoughts?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 127 Posts
    Blog Entries

How has he shrunk presidental power? By not convincing congress to give him his war? By shitting on the constitution several times? By revving up tge NSA and declaring drone strikes against Americans when they are declared security threats? There is some evidence some of what he does he does to spite his political.opponents only.

I think he's charismatic and capable of planning ahead but a poor negotiator, hence his congressional failings.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auster For This Post:

NOVA (10-04-2013), Truth Detector (10-04-2013)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dionaea View Post
    How has he shrunk presidental power? By not convincing congress to give him his war? By shitting on the constitution several times? By revving up tge NSA and declaring drone strikes against Americans when they are declared security threats? There is some evidence some of what he does he does to spite his political.opponents only.

I think he's charismatic and capable of planning ahead but a poor negotiator, hence his congressional failings.

document all these claims with facts

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The most glaring example is when he decided to ask Congress for approval in Syria. There are others where he has been attacked for not leading... like his current and past refusal to negotiate on the budget/debt issues. Let them sort it out and then he will take whatever action he deems appropriate. They call him aloof but maybe its his job to be a bit detached.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I complained when Bush made attempts to increase the powers of the Presidency and its area of control, and if you look at history its been the goal of every modern president. But, is it what's best for America and is it Constitutional?

There are many examples one of the more recent and controversial of them was when Congress gave GWB the power to conduct war in Iraq. They simply gave away there authority to declare war in a blanket fashion to an over zealous commander in chief. There are countless other examples that are less glaring but include budget negotiations and Congressional Agenda setting. Im not so sure that such a big and powerful presidency is what the Founders intended, what the Constitution calls for and what is best for America.

This leads me to something I believe President Obama has done, intentionally but not overtly. President Obama has shrunk the size and power of the Presidency, he has been attacked for it, Congress and opponents have called it a failure to lead. Where was the praise from the strict Constructionists for President Obama when he determined that he should go to Congress for approval to strike Syria? Reagan struck Libya without such approval!

Now it comes to the current debt limit and CR issues in Congress. Is it really the President's place to be negotiating? Sure it is at some level, when it comes to his veto power, but that does not come into play until Congress comes to some agreement on a bill. At this point it seems to me Congress should be negotiating maybe with an eye toward what the president will veto or not, but not with his active engagement.

Intentionally or not, President Obama has shrunk the power and size of the Presidency and I think its a good thing.

Thoughts?

all through history when the president has told congress " don't put this in the bill or its a guaranteed veto from me" the congress has believed him and then tried to write and pass something the president will sign.

The republican party knew long ago the president would NEVER sign this bill and only did this because they needed to please the insane racist base that now calls all the shots in the republican party.

It was nothing but a stunt to waste the United States Of Americans time and money.

they hate this country.

Its time they are treated like the traitors they are

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

still waiting for proof of all these idiot claims

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    still waiting for proof of all these idiot claims
    Good. why dont you be a good dog and fetch them for me?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Auster For This Post:

Liberty (10-04-2013)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The most glaring example is when he decided to ask Congress for approval in Syria. There are others where he has been attacked for not leading... like his current and past refusal to negotiate on the budget/debt issues. Let them sort it out and then he will take whatever action he deems appropriate. They call him aloof but maybe its his job to be a bit detached.
    I think hes willing to let the moderates of the right fold and grant him what he wants. Both sides have called for negotiations before. The repubs even talked about offering up a one year delay on ACA as a compromise. I think both sides are playing for keeps.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Here is a fact for you.

Did the ACA law that Obummer signed include waivers for businesses, unions and Congress? Did the law he signed include a one year delay in implementation?

Where did he get the authority to do those things? I await your spin

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

all through history when the president has told congress " don't put this in the bill or its a guaranteed veto from me" the congress has believed him and then tried to write and pass something the president will sign.

The republican party knew long ago the president would NEVER sign this bill and only did this because they needed to please the insane racist base that now calls all the shots in the republican party.

It was nothing but a stunt to waste the United States Of Americans time and money.

they hate this country.

Its time they are treated like the traitors they are
    The system is working exactly as the Founders created. Why do you hate the Constitution?

You think Obummer should get his way. Why?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Liberty (10-04-2013)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thoughts?
    You have got to be the most gullible kool-aid swilling Obama appologist I have ever seen.

Obama hasn't shrunk the Government; he has super expanded it and his Obamacare is the most far reaching unconstitutional Government grab since Social Security (oxymoron in the extreme).

What you are witnessing is not a President shrinking the Presidency, but a buffoon who can't lead because he has never led anything in his life. His only experience, community organizing, is illustrated by the fact that this hyper partisan asshat is on permanent campaign mode. His juvenile arrogance is epitomized by his clumsy buffoonish efforts to get Congress to authorize his misguided Syria "red line" machismo which he then ran away from claiming it wasn't his. Just like his buffoonish efforts to ascribe the failure of his massive $850 billion spending foray to Republicans. Just like his failure to be honest about deaths in Benghazi and ascribe it to a nondescript video by an American.

This embarrassment of a President actually dupes gullible buffoons like you into believing that the most powerful man in the world is completely helpless and incapable of doing anything and paralyzed by a minority party in the house. How incredibly stupid does one have to be to fall for such incredibly stupid claims and moronic rhetoric?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What an incredibly stupid post by the forums asshat. You're too stupid to comprehend how stupid you look.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You have got to be the most gullible kool-aid swilling Obama appologist I have ever seen.

Obama hasn't shrunk the Government; he has super expanded it and his Obamacare is the most far reaching unconstitutional Government grab since Social Security (oxymoron in the extreme).

What you are witnessing is not a President shrinking the Presidency, but a buffoon who can't lead because he has never led anything in his life. His only experience, community organizing, is illustrated by the fact that this hyper partisan asshat is on permanent campaign mode. His juvenile arrogance is epitomized by his clumsy buffoonish efforts to get Congress to authorize his misguided Syria "red line" machismo which he then ran away from claiming it wasn't his. Just like his buffoonish efforts to ascribe the failure of his massive $850 billion spending foray to Republicans. Just like his failure to be honest about deaths in Benghazi and ascribe it to a nondescript video by an American.

This embarrassment of a President actually dupes gullible buffoons like you into believing that the most powerful man in the world is completely helpless and incapable of doing anything and paralyzed by a minority party in the house. How incredibly stupid does one have to be to fall for such incredibly stupid claims and moronic rhetoric?
    I never said he shrank the government you idiot, no wonder you hate President Obama so much, you cant comprehend a simple discussion about presidential power.

LOCK HIM UP!

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I never said he shrank the government you idiot, no wonder you hate President Obama so much, you cant comprehend a simple discussion about presidential power.
    Substitute "Presidency" for "Government" dumbass and the post is just as relevant.

Deflect much?

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Obama hasn't shrunk the Presidency; he has super expanded it and his Obamacare is the most far reaching unconstitutional Government grab since Social Security (oxymoron in the extreme).