Members banned from this thread: Big Money

Thread: Social Security Question

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Social Security Question

Anyone know what the law says for a surviving spouse in a common-law marriage as far as receiving their deceased spouse's S.S. benefits?

Thanks.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

cawacko, I don't know what shit you have planned or what's going down, but fucking delete this before the cops see it! I've got your back, I won't say a word.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

/MSG/ (09-23-2013), Big Money (09-23-2013), Minister of Truth (09-23-2013)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Anyone know what the law says for a surviving spouse in a common-law marriage as far as receiving their deceased spouse's S.S. benefits?

Thanks.
    I think it says shit out of luck, but I'm not a lawyer. I remember back in my 20's, one of the times I was considering getting married but really hemming and hawing a lawyer friend of mine told me, you can live with a man for 15 years and be nobody, but marry him for one day and no one, not even his child, can usurp you in the eyes of the law. It was wise advice I've no doubt. I didn't take it of course. I've always enjoyed the hard road.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

tekkychick (09-23-2013)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capgras View Post
    cawacko, I don't know what shit you have planned or what's going down, but fucking delete this before the cops see it! I've got your back, I won't say a word.
    LOL stoned huh Grind?
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I think it says shit out of luck, but I'm not a lawyer. I remember back in my 20's, one of the times I was considering getting married but really hemming and hawing a lawyer friend of mine told me, you can live with a man for 15 years and be nobody, but marry him for one day and no one, not even his child, can usurp you in the eyes of the law. It was wise advice I've no doubt. I didn't take it of course. I've always enjoyed the hard road.
    Very interesting, thanks. So if this guy is receiving S.S. benefits from his deceased common law wife (she never married him) could he have lied in filling out his paper work?

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Very interesting, thanks. So if this guy is receiving S.S. benefits from his deceased common law wife (she never married him) could he have lied in filling out his paper work?
    I can find out for you for certain on Thursday when I have my weekly networking meeting with mostly attorneys. I am just guessing here Cawacko, don't put any stock into it. If no one else finds out by Thursday I definitely will ask.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can find out for you for certain on Thursday when I have my weekly networking meeting with mostly attorneys. I am just guessing here Cawacko, don't put any stock into it. If no one else finds out by Thursday I definitely will ask.
    Would really appreciate that. Thank you.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

You live in New York, though, which doesn't recognize common law marriages (unless they're contracted in a state that does). Only nine states allow them to be contracted, Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas. His advice would be perfectly valid in New York, but he can't speak for every state.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 222 Times in 203 Posts

I vaguely remember that in California, at least during the 80s, if you were "common law" but you acted like husband/wife, the law considered you married, even if you never officially got a license.

My b/f at the time & I were very concerned that we not "drift" into being married.

But no idea what it means for soc sec

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tekkychick View Post
    I vaguely remember that in California, at least during the 80s, if you were "common law" but you acted like husband/wife, the law considered you married, even if you never officially got a license.

My b/f at the time & I were very concerned that we not "drift" into being married.

But no idea what it means for soc sec
    California abolished common law marriages in 1895.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hitomi's Tanakas View Post
    You live in New York, though, which doesn't recognize common law marriages (unless they're contracted in a state that does). Only nine states allow them to be contracted, Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas. His advice would be perfectly valid in New York, but he can't speak for every state.
    This is happening in Texas.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Common law marriages are good for federal income tax purposes, as are all marriages legally allowed in a state (besides polygamous marriages, which is irrelevant since they are legal in no state, and it also used to be prohibited for gay marriages, but no longer). So, I don't see why there would be exceptions for Social Security. The only question, it seems, is whether the common law marriage was contracted in a state that allows it, or he just lived with a girl a really long time and assumed common law marriage applied. That is, unless there is some bizarre exception for SS benefits when there's not for income taxes. I can't find anything specific.