Thread: Shrubbie and Maineman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Default Shrubbie and Maineman

I've known you guys for nearly 10 years. You have had principles that have gone beyond partisan things. If you guys help cheerlead this rhetoric into a war, then shame the fuck on you. You two know better! You two were the voice of reason when the drums were beating ten years ago! You are making excuses now? Because the president is a democrat? Are you no different than the shitheads that sent us to war in 2003? Please please say it isn't so. Please.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beefy For This Post:

blackascoal (09-12-2013), BRUTALITOPS (09-10-2013), Mott the Hoople (09-10-2013), NOVA (09-10-2013), Phantasmal (09-10-2013), Rationalist (09-11-2013), Rune (09-11-2013), tinfoil (09-11-2013)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Racist. How dare you question the all knowing wisdom of Nobel Peace Prize winner Obama.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Big Money (09-11-2013), blackascoal (09-12-2013), Callinectes (09-11-2013), Cancel 2016.2 (09-10-2013), Minister of Truth (09-11-2013), Taft2016 (09-11-2013)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I've known you guys for nearly 10 years. You have had principles that have gone beyond partisan things. If you guys help cheerlead this rhetoric into a war, then shame the fuck on you. You two know better! You two were the voice of reason when the drums were beating ten years ago! You are making excuses now? Because the president is a democrat? Are you no different than the shitheads that sent us to war in 2003? Please please say it isn't so. Please.
    Don't go. Don't do it. It's not a clear and present danger and we don't need the oil that bad.....or do we?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

beefy... I sincerely and honestly hope that we don't get involved in Syria. That's a fact. If, however, Ronald Reagan had said, in March of 1988, that Iraq had crossed a red line by using chemical weapons against the Kurds, I would have backed his play. If we tacitly condone the use of weapons the world had earlier decided we would not condone, then we take a huge step backward as humanity. I don't know how we stop Assad from using them, but I truly believe that the world needs to step up, together, and stop it. I do not think it makes any sense to go it alone if the world won't go with us, but for Obama to ask the world to stick to their treaties and stop the use of these weapons, I think that is a good thing to do.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    beefy... I sincerely and honestly hope that we don't get involved in Syria. That's a fact. If, however, Ronald Reagan had said, in March of 1988, that Iraq had crossed a red line by using chemical weapons against the Kurds, I would have backed his play. If we tacitly condone the use of weapons the world had earlier decided we would not condone, then we take a huge step backward as humanity. I don't know how we stop Assad from using them, but I truly believe that the world needs to step up, together, and stop it. I do not think it makes any sense to go it alone if the world won't go with us, but for Obama to ask the world to stick to their treaties and stop the use of these weapons, I think that is a good thing to do.
    maineman says... "I sincerely and honestly hope that we don't get involved in Syria. That's a fact."

and then came the ifs and buts.....the fact is, if we do get 'involved' in the Syrian civil war or rebellion, it will be our own doing....our own choice...our own fault.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

Big Money (09-11-2013), Truth Detector (09-11-2013)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    maineman says... "I sincerely and honestly hope that we don't get involved in Syria. That's a fact."

and then came the ifs and buts.....the fact is, if we do get 'involved' in the Syrian civil war or rebellion, it will be our own doing....our own choice...our own fault.
    You're really the flip side of the coin, bravs. You have no irony meter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (09-11-2013)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    You're really the flip side of the coin, bravs. You have no irony meter.

I point out the fact that IF we get involved in a war in Syria....it will be because we made that choice.....and maineman is supporting Obama on this threat.

Wheres is the irony you mention ?....the flip side of what coin ?....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

Big Money (09-11-2013)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

In my whole life, I have never come across anyone with less self-awareness.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 222 Times in 203 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    Good summary, MM. War is horrible. Death is horrible. But - the world has said "chemical weapons are evil and banned".

I agree the 100,000 plus people killed by "conventional" weapons are also to be mourned. But the world hasn't banned conventional weapons; we have - all the countries, pretty much - banned chemical weapons.

Are we now to say "oops, we didn't mean it?" Then what happens re Iran and nuclear weapons?

I don't want to get involved in Syria either. And it's possible now we won't - it's possible now that our threats not only got Assad to admit he had the weapons, but maybe will give the world a way to get those weapons out of Syria, or at least under international control. Assad is pretty good at killing his people in other ways, so guess he won't miss them. But NO ONE wants those weapons to get into the hands of a bunch of rival factions, which could happen if Assad loses.

If we do bomb Syria, I can only hope we do it strategically - that it doesn't cause further repercussions -that we don't kill too many civilians - that it doesn't pull us in further.

Syria is an open wound in the world. I wish we could stop the fighting and somehow fix it. We can't. But maybe we can keep these chemical weapons from being used by either side. It's not much. But it's something.

And yes, Darla - all weapons are horrible; all deaths are to be mourned; but again - the world, in various treaties, have said that chemical weapons are even worse - probably because of the damage they cause to civilians and the way they can't be targeted. So do we follow the treaties or do we give up? And if we give up - does that mean we give up totally and all countries can have nuclear weapons as well?

I know that's outside the scope of this thread, so I'm ok with us not discussing that last point.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tekkychick For This Post:

maineman (09-11-2013)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

desh is the epitome of the saying "a broken watch is right twice a day"

she has never operated on reason, she has holes in her brain and is barely sentient.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

/MSG/ (09-11-2013), Big Money (09-11-2013), Callinectes (09-11-2013), Minister of Truth (09-11-2013), Rationalist (09-11-2013), Taft2016 (09-11-2013), Truth Detector (09-11-2013)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Capgras View Post

she has never operated on reason, she has holes in her brain and is barely sentient.
    Well....those are truly good qualities. So what are her flaws?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,806 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 431 Times in 393 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Capgras View Post

I think you overestimate Desh. She lacks even instinctual intelligence. If she was a slug she wouldn't even know to move herself underneath a garbage can on a hot day and end up fried on the pavement.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taft2016 For This Post:

Big Money (09-11-2013), Truth Detector (09-11-2013)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is what I do not understand. If those people in those videos had been shot, or had shrapnel, or been bombed, or had been the victims of any other form of conventional warfare, we would not be beating drums here. Why are you using a tactic of war to justify more war? Guns, bombs and grenades kill more people than chemical weapons. Feigning this red line bothers the shit out of me because is speaks to the fact that you're NOT anti war, you are in fact PRO war and you just need the right guy to lead you into it. Dammit! I'm not going to listen to your excuses! Try to tap dance around this shit?!?! Come the fuck on and get real. Don't even try to sell me this flat, utter and complete bullshit. I'm deeply disappointed and cannot believe this shit. It truly confounds me. I'm at a loss for words. I thought politics for death was beyond some of you. I guess I thought wrong.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beefy For This Post:

/MSG/ (09-10-2013), Annie (09-11-2013), Big Money (09-11-2013), blackascoal (09-12-2013), Damocles (09-10-2013), Rune (09-11-2013), tinfoil (09-11-2013)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is what I do not understand. If those people in those videos had been shot, or had shrapnel, or been bombed, or had been the victims of any other form of conventional warfare, we would not be beating drums here. Why are you using a tactic of war to justify more war? Guns, bombs and grenades kill more people than chemical weapons. Feigning this red line bothers the shit out of me because is speaks to the fact that you're NOT anti war, you are in fact PRO war and you just need the right guy to lead you into it. Dammit! I'm not going to listen to your excuses! Try to tap dance around this shit?!?! Come the fuck on and get real. Don't even try to sell me this flat, utter and complete bullshit. I'm deeply disappointed and cannot believe this shit. It truly confounds me. I'm at a loss for words. I thought politics for death was beyond some of you. I guess I thought wrong.
    Well that's what I don't get either. It's okay to burn to death tens of thousands (or in our case, hundreds of thousands) of people with bombs, but kill a few hundred with a chemical weapon and the entire world comes to a shocked standstill. There is something very wrong with this. I don't get this thinking at all. And the people who are up in arms wouldn't blink an eye if you firebombed a population as long as you claimed you only targeted military installations or "delivery systems" and the death of any civilians was regrettable. It's so crazy. It's entirely insane and I've given up trying to argue with it rationally. Because you cannot argue rationally against something irrational.

I wouldn't want to die in a chemical attack. I am certain it is horrifying and terrifying. I also wouldn't have wanted to be on the ground in Dresden...or Baghdad during shock and awe. Plenty of people died horrifying and terrifying deaths then too. Maybe war just sucks and should be avoided.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Beefy (09-11-2013), blackascoal (09-12-2013), Rune (09-11-2013)

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Well that's what I don't get either. It's okay to burn to death tens of thousands (or in our case, hundreds of thousands) of people with bombs, but kill a few hundred with a chemical weapon and the entire world comes to a shocked standstill. There is something very wrong with this. I don't get this thinking at all. And the people who are up in arms wouldn't blink an eye if you firebombed a population as long as you claimed you only targeted military installations or "delivery systems" and the death of any civilians was regrettable. It's so crazy. It's entirely insane and I've given up trying to argue with it rationally. Because you cannot argue rationally against something irrational.

I wouldn't want to die in a chemical attack. I am certain it is horrifying and terrifying. I also wouldn't have wanted to be on the ground in Dresden...or Baghdad during shock and awe. Plenty of people died horrifying and terrifying deaths then too. Maybe war just sucks and should be avoided.
    Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo.... War is a horrible nightmare. I just cant believe who is beating the drums. I'm totally dumbfounded. Politics really goes this deep on all sides? Shit, the Republicans don't even bother trying to hide it and now I'm seeing the yellowest of dogs looking towards it. I'm totally floored.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beefy For This Post:

Big Money (09-11-2013), Rune (09-11-2013)