Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does someone start a business?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Default Why does someone start a business?

Is it to create social justice?

Is it to provide jobs and pay benefits?

Hell no. It is to try to make money. And if a business owner could get away with ZERO employees they would.

Employees are a pain in the ass

They get sick
    They steal
    They show up late
    They complain
    They quit
    They get pregnant
    They are expensive

They are in short an expense and it is the goal of any business to control that expense. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never run a business and is childlike in their thinking

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Callinectes (08-06-2013), Liberty (08-06-2013), NOVA (08-05-2013)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 550 Posts

The education is shining at this point.

"Employees are a pain in the ass, they get pregnant!"

Yea. What a pain on you.
    "Democrats will make you go broke on welfare but Republicans will make you go broke on warfare"~Papa

"Once you submit to a political party you start justifying the terrible parts of that party to win"~Me

"Anyone certain, is mistaken."~Best Political Quote Ever

"People who don't understand the necessity for guns, don't follow the Constitution. People who don't understand the necessity to regulate gun ownership, do not follow the Constitution."~Me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-Party For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-05-2013)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In SCHOOL they teach you to follow your passion. Work and the education is easy when you are passionate about what you want to do. They don't teach "Find the highest paying job and aim for it"

No offense, I know you never had any proper schooling.
    "Democrats will make you go broke on welfare but Republicans will make you go broke on warfare"~Papa

"Once you submit to a political party you start justifying the terrible parts of that party to win"~Me

"People who don't understand the necessity for guns, don't follow the Constitution. People who don't understand the necessity to regulate gun ownership, do not follow the Constitution."~Me

6. The Following User Groans At Anti-Party For This Awful Post:

tinfoil (08-06-2013)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Party View Post
    In SCHOOL they teach you to follow your passion. Work and the education is easy when you are passionate about what you want to do. They don't teach "Find the highest paying job and aim for it"

If its about passion and not money, why do you care what employers pay? Obviously the employees are there because they're passionate about their work...
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disillusioned For This Post:

/MSG/ (08-05-2013), tinfoil (08-06-2013)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    If its about passion and not money, why do you care what employers pay? Obviously the employees are there because they're passionate about their work...
    This discussion isn't about the employee's. It's about people who start businesses. No one ever stated an employee was educated.

GENERALLY SPEAKING an employer with employee's is.

But since you brought it up are you stating that employee's should just be happy with what their employee's pay them no matter what since they are passionate about their job? Employee's help employers you bone heads. If you "built that" with employee's then they built that as well, not you alone...

10. The Following User Groans At Anti-Party For This Awful Post:

tinfoil (08-06-2013)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you believe that you built that alone and only you when you have employee's you are an ignorant American. Drop all your employee's and see how fast you build ...

12. The Following User Groans At Anti-Party For This Awful Post:

tinfoil (08-06-2013)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

What did you go to school to learn to be ...... a honey dipper.....garbage collector.....how about a burger flipper.....or maybe some other profession that
    doesn't pay you too much ?.....
    Is that why teachers demand higher and higher wages and benefits ?
    Is that why professional sports people demand millions of dollars to play a game ?
    Why not just do those jobs because you're passionate.....

You talk like a stupid, bleeding heart, liberal fool......

Now go back to the op and comment on what the man claimed instead of bs.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

tinfoil (08-06-2013)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    What did you go to school to learn to be ...... a honey dipper.....garbage collector.....how about a burger flipper.....or maybe some other profession that
    doesn't pay you too much ?.....
    Is that why teachers demand higher and higher wages and benefits ?
    Is that why professional sports people demand millions of dollars to play a game ?
    Why not just do those jobs because you're passionate.....

You talk like a stupid, bleeding heart, liberal fool......

Now go back to the op and comment on what the man claimed instead of bs.
    So you are stating that someone can become a Pro-Athlete with the drive of monetary interest alone? ............Not too smart are you? You have to start that sport at a very young age most of the time to be good at it even in junior high, much less NFL etc. There are some natural athletes that show up in a sport late an do well, but it is very, VERY rare and they usually have a background in a similar sport.

But I never expect brains here.

16. The Following User Groans At Anti-Party For This Awful Post:

tinfoil (08-06-2013)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

So you are stating that someone can become a Pro-Athlete with the drive of monetary interest alone? ............Not too smart are you? You have to start that sport at a very young age most of the time to be good at it even in junior high, much less NFL etc. There are some natural athletes that show up in a sport late an do well, but it is very, VERY rare and they usually have a background in a similar sport.

But I never expect brains here.
    NO....Thats not what I said.....try again. You ain't big on reading comprehension are you ?

Are all those sports guys greedy ? Demanding more and more money....I thought it was their passion....?
    They don't play to get the biggest bucks they can ?....Really ?

All of which has NOTHING to do with the opening post.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    NO....Thats not what I said.....try again. You ain't big on reading comprehension are you ?

Are all those sports guys greedy ? Demanding more and more money....I thought it was their passion....?
    They don't play to get the biggest bucks they can ?....Really ?

All of which has NOTHING to do with the opening post.....
    It was your post and my response. Sorry you lost kid. Brain up.

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,523 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 139 Times in 129 Posts

Default Re: Why does someone start a business?

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post

Hell no. It is to try to make money. And if a business owner could get away with ZERO employees they would.

They get sick
    They steal
    They show up late
    They complain
    They quit
    They get pregnant
    They are expensive

They are in short an expense and it is the goal of any business to control that expense. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never run a business and is childlike in their thinking
    Fuck it...do it yourself then. Anyone who thinks people are commodities are just plain mentally ill.....

Let's see how.much your business grows with just you at the helm and no one else.

20. The Following User Groans At Steelplate For This Awful Post:

tinfoil (08-06-2013)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Steelplate For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-05-2013)

22. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post

They get sick
    They steal
    They show up late
    They complain
    They quit
    They get pregnant
    They are expensive

Why do you think so many businesses are opting for automation.
    I stayed at a hotel 2 weeks ago and they have a complimentary buffet breakfast everymorning.
    Nothing special; eggs, bacon/sauage/ham, cereal, juice, etc.
    One of the things I noticed is that they've added an automatic pancake maker, since last year.
    All the staff has to do is pour in the prebought batter.
    The guests then push a button to start the process and in less then 2 minutes, you're presented with two "dollar sized" pancakes.

I bet McDonalds could become more automated, if they choose to.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"Employees are a pain in the ass

They get sick
    They complain
    They quit
    They get pregnant"

Seems to me, most of your complaints are things that can happen to anyone and you are calling everyone a pain in the ass if they are an employee anywhere. Except for one.....I'm guessing they quit because you are the actual pain in the ass.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-Party For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-05-2013)

25. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Default Re: Why does someone start a business?

Ila's business plan is less detailed than the underwear gnomes.

Step 1 ???
    Step 2 ???
    Step 3 Profit
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timshel For This Post:

Cancel 2016.11 (08-06-2013), Phantasmal (08-05-2013)

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Default Why does someone start a business?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post
    Fuck it...do it yourself then. Anyone who thinks people are commodities are just plain mentally ill.....

Let's see how.much your business grows with just you at the helm and no one else.
    You miss the point and make my point at the same time. Employees are necessarily evils for a business. Make no mistake, they are a pain in the ass. Ask anyone who has hired them.

You are no different on this topic than you are on a message board talking about the merits of the Steelers defense switching from a 3:4 to a 4:3. You have lots of opinions about it and that is fine, but you really don't know what you are talking about until you have owned your own business or coached a pro team.

I have run a business. I have hired and fired employees. Yes they are important to a business, but all of those things I listed are true. Every one. In all of this caterwauling none of you have denied any of them