Thread: Hawaii sets aside $100,000 to offer its homeless people one-way airfare back home

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Default Hawaii sets aside $100,000 to offer its homeless people one-way airfare back home

Hawaii sets aside $100,000 to offer its 17,000 homeless people one-way airfare back to their home states

• Supporters hope to take some weight off an overburdened shelter system
    • Detractors say the costs and man hours aren't worth it

Hawaii is hoping to take the burden off its welfare system by saying aloha to its 17,000 homeless residents. The state will offer one-way tickets home to any eligible homeless person to anywhere in the continental United States. Hawaii has allotted $100,000 for a three year trial run of the so-called 'return-to-home' program, which could also even offer participants beds on cruise ships bound for their homes.

The sum set aside for the program may sound like a lot, but supporters say most of the state's homeless won't be taking advantage.

'It's fractional,' state Representative John Mizuno told Hawaii News Now. 'It's not for 5,000 homeless people. It's going to be a handful of homeless people that we send home … to their support unit.'

The goal, supporters say, is to take pressure off the state's overburdened shelter system.

Representative Rida Cabanilla told Honolulu Civil Beat that her decision to support the program came down to simple math.

Even if a homeless individual comes back to Hawaii after only months away, Cabanilla said, the state would still have saved thousands on food, shelter, and medical costs.

But with 2,500 miles of Pacific Ocean separating the Aloha State from the mainland, chances are lawmakers are banking on the 'return-to-home' aloha to be a permanent one.

Nonetheless, that doesn't have all the state's officials lining up behind the program.

'The administrative requirements...are costly and administratively burdensome,' spokeswoman Kayla Rosenfeld for the state Department of Human Services, the agency charged with running the program, told MSN News Tuesday.

'Provisions include: transportation to the airport, orientation regarding airport security and ensuring proper hygiene. Additionally, if state funds were utilized for the purpose of sending people home, the participants would berequired to sign voluntary departure agreements that would need to be recorded in databases.'

With so much involved in the program, its no suprise that the very agency put in charge of the program has its reservations.

But reservations, on a plane anyway, are exqactly what any qualifying homeless person currently residing in Hawaii could soon have.

The voluntary program allows interested individuals who have people willing to support them back at home, who cannot afford to return on their own, and who are indigent to fly home on the state's dime. They may not participate more than once.

A similar program was implemented in New York City in 2007 by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other cities have used the tactic over the years.

'These kinds of programs have been used historically to ship homeless people out of town,' Michael Stoops, from the National Coalition for the Homeless told MSN. 'In the homelessness field it was once called greyhound therapy. Hawaii now goes a step higher with airplane therapy. Oftentimes local police departments run such programs offering the stark choices of going to a shelter, jail or hopping on a bus or plane home.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...me-states.html

Wow ... a “let them be someone else’s problem” plan. Nice.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think its a good idea.

If they want to go to where their relatives are they can get help there like no where else.

its not forced

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,903 Times in 21,665 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

The City of Tampa used to do that with Northerners. They would give homeless Northerners one way bus fair to the northern city of their choice.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If they are stuck and cant afford to go home its a great way to help them.

I lived in Vegas fir 15 years

when you live in big tourist places you see people who come to try living there and then they cant hack it.

they cant find a way home some times

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

San Francisco sends money to other cities to have them send their homeless to us.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Jarod (07-31-2013), Phantasmal (07-31-2013), RockX (07-31-2013)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

link.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Smh

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

your link doesn't work

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was being facetious Desh. You asked me if I followed the news. Maybe you need to ask yourself the same question if you are a west coast person and aren't aware of San Francisco's homeless problem

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    If they are stuck and cant afford to go home its a great way to help them.

I lived in Vegas fir 15 years

when you live in big tourist places you see people who come to try living there and then they cant hack it.

they cant find a way home some times

LOL

So that is how we got stuck with you in California, Nevada shipped your ass back here as fast as they could.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I was being facetious Desh. You asked me if I followed the news. Maybe you need to ask yourself the same question if you are a west coast person and aren't aware of San Francisco's homeless problem

the cons here will say all sorts of shit dude.

baseless crap you think they are joking to bring up.

Dude you want to talk homeless problems?

So Cal is the place they come because they can live outside comfortably.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    the cons here will say all sorts of shit dude.

baseless crap you think they are joking to bring up.

Dude you want to talk homeless problems?

So Cal is the place they come because they can live outside comfortably.
    LA may compete with SF for worst homeless problem in the state but that's it and the biggest part in LA is skid row and very few people live or work there. Santa Monica or any other southern California city don't come close.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd take advantage of it if I happened to be in Hawai'i and hit the bad times... I'd come home here where I do have that support system they talk about.

I doubt too many will do it, but those who do will probably have a chance. I'd say this is a good idea. It also serves the "go home" feelings of many of the natives while actually helping somebody out. Too bad they won't bring back some homeless from here that may have support there.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle