Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Christie Goes After Libertarians on Foreign Policy

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Chris Christie Goes After Libertarians on Foreign Policy

Another one of those issues where politics makes for strange bedfellows.

Christie goes after libertarians — hard

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Thursday offered a clear broadside against Republicans drifting toward a more libertarian view of foreign policy, lumping Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) in with them and suggesting they explain their position to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The House earlier this week narrowly voted against a reduction in funding for the National Security Agency, as libertarian-leaning members from both sides joined together to vote for the amendment.

“As a former prosecutor who was appointed by President George W. Bush on Sept. 10, 2001, I just want us to be really cautious, because this strain of libertarianism that’s going through both parties right now and making big headlines, I think, is a very dangerous thought,” Christie said.

Asked whether he includes Paul — a fellow potential 2016 presidential candidate — in his criticism, Christie didn’t back down.

“You can name any one of them that’s engaged in this,” he said. “I want them to come to New Jersey and sit across from the widows and the orphans and have that conversation. … I’m very nervous about the direction this is moving in.”

Christie acknowledged that there will always be mistakes when it comes to national security and protecting privacy, but said Americans need to stay focused on what’s at stake.

He dismissed some of the current privacy/national security debates as “esoteric.”

“I think what we as a country have to decide is: Do we have amnesia? Because I don’t,” he said. “And I remember what we felt like on Sept. 12, 2001.”

Christie also praised the national security strategies of both President Obama and George W. Bush.

“I want to say that I think both the way President Bush conducted himself and the way President Obama has conducted himself in the main on those types of decisions hasn’t been different because they were right and because we haven’t had another one of those attacks that cost thousands and thousands of lives,” Christie said.

Christie appeared alongside Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) and Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R). The four GOP governors appeared side-by-side at a session hosted by the nonpartisan Aspen Institute.

The four of them are all considered among the GOP’s top potential presidential candidates in 2016, with each of them ranking on The Fix’s most recent list of the top 10 likeliest nominees.

The Republican Governors Association was holding its summer meeting in the mountainous resort town.

North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R), who was slated to appear, had to stay in his home state with the state legislature moving on legislation — including new abortion restrictions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rtarians-hard/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fuck that asshole. Another reason to give NJ back to England.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Timshel (07-26-2013)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

I feel like he's the one with amnesia. Do people not remember that actions have consequences? How many of these muslim countries have hard ons for Japan, or South Korea, or Ireland?
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Disillusioned For This Post:

/MSG/ (07-25-2013)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,523 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 139 Times in 129 Posts

Default Re: Chris Christie Goes After Libertarians on Foreign Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    I feel like he's the one with amnesia. Do people not remember that actions have consequences? How many of these muslim countries have hard ons for Japan, or South Korea, or Ireland?
    As a disclaimer....I am not in any, way, shape, or form an anti- Semitic person. They are our allies in the region....

However, we can't keep letting Israel encroach upon Palestinian land with impunity. This is one of the biggest issues in the entire region...it fuels the hatred in the ME more than anything else... towards Israel itself and the US...and we are the ones who foot the bill for most of it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steelplate For This Post:

blackascoal (07-26-2013)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post
    As a disclaimer....I am not in any, way, shape, or form an anti- Semitic person. They are our allies in the region....

However, we can't keep letting Israel encroach upon Palestinian land with impunity. This is one of the biggest issues in the entire region...it fuels the hatred in the ME more than anything else... towards Israel itself and the US...and we are the ones who foot the bill for most of it.
    Holocaust denier.

Seriously though, fuck Israel. They're a big boy country, they can handle their problems by themselves.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

blackascoal (07-26-2013), Minister of Truth (07-26-2013), Mott the Hoople (07-26-2013)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

I feel like Israel is our ally because we foot their bill and for pretty much no other reason. We seem to have very little common ground beyond thinking that anyone we label as terrorist gets zero rights.
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Disillusioned For This Post:

blackascoal (07-26-2013)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Attila the Hun View Post
    What? And lose all those superfund sites?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    I feel like Israel is our ally because we foot their bill and for pretty much no other reason. We seem to have very little common ground beyond thinking that anyone we label as terrorist gets zero rights.
    That's too complicated for the average Republican primary voter.

Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 3,035 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 909 Times in 824 Posts

He made some excellent points. Particularly about how the libertarian efforts to rape food stamps and other benefits for the poor will come back and bite them in their privileged asses.

That is the modus operandi of the neocon government currently in office. The majority of Israeli's just want to be left alone and leave the Palestinians alone.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Christie exposes himself as an establishment authoritarian and all howey can do is call Libertarians 'neocons'. the world is truly fucked because of the statists.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Christie exposes himself as an establishment authoritarian and all howey can do is call Libertarians 'neocons'. the world is truly fucked because of the statists.
    I did? Where?

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Howey View Post
    He made some excellent points. Particularly about how the libertarian efforts to rape food stamps and other benefits for the poor will come back and bite them in their privileged asses.

That is the modus operandi of the neocon government currently in office. The majority of Israeli's just want to be left alone and leave the Palestinians alone.
    Are you calling Obama specifically a neo-con or others around him in his administration?

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Are you calling Obama specifically a neo-con or others around him in his administration?
    ...the neocon government in Israel...sheesh.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Howey View Post
    ...the neocon government in Israel...sheesh.
    Eh, my bad.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,743 Times in 27,223 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

how the right sees this country.

they want it dismantled