Thread: College degree no longer an avenue to financial success?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default College degree no longer an avenue to financial success?

Millions of young college graduates are finding that the promise of acquiring an upper level education would provide an entrance into a successful career has been a lie. Instead they are facing a new reality--many of them are either unemployed or underemployed and even if they do have a job, it does not necessarily require a college degree.

Not only have they spent four or more years of their lives trapped in classrooms while and listening to professors providing out-dated and irrelevant lectures, most have gone into debt that will hang over them for the foreseeable future.

Read more
    http://www.examiner.com/article/coll...ancial-success

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I suggest they get degrees in something marketable. Underwater basket weaving or abstract art appreciation are not largely sought after skills. I know that some lucky ones get to make a living with stuff like that but really... I keep track of the few of my former students that have gone to and completed college. In the last 5 years there have been 15 graduate with their 4 year degree. Out of those 15, 14 are currently working within their chosen career pursuit. IT, Computer Tech, Nurses all found jobs easily, not to mention the one Math and one Science teacher. The one who is working in a steel plant got a degree in History Ed. The education market is saturated with those and those positions are hard to attain unless one is "connected."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-06-2013), Mott the Hoople (07-05-2013)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And yes, I know that my limited group doesn't indicate a national trend, but I'm just sayin'.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 222 Times in 203 Posts

To me, the article seemed to be just an ad for the alternative schools mentioned; probably a press release that the Examiner just reprinted. So I didn't really take it seriously.

But that's just my opinion, of course.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I still encourage my students to go to college. For some I recommend Tech School. Others I still steer toward the military. I fight against a culture here that encourages the guys to go right to work and the girls to marry and make babies immediately. Some (One young lady from church and her husband come to mind) do OK and get their degrees/eventual jobs as well as marrying and making babies along the way, but it is so tough without supportive parents and extended family.

A sad testimony is that for the past 5 years, out of the 10 valedictorian/salutatorian kids, only 4 have gone on to college. The rest are married and making babies. They'll do OK but it just seem they have chosen such a difficult life for themselves from the get-go. This is one pattern of culture that this guy who loathes change wouldn't mind changing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-05-2013), tekkychick (07-05-2013)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I still encourage my students to go to college. For some I recommend Tech School. Others I still steer toward the military. I fight against a culture here that encourages the guys to go right to work and the girls to marry and make babies immediately. Some (One young lady from church and her husband come to mind) do OK and get their degrees/eventual jobs as well as marrying and making babies along the way, but it is so tough without supportive parents and extended family.

A sad testimony is that for the past 5 years, out of the 10 valedictorian/salutatorian kids, only 4 have gone on to college. The rest are married and making babies. They'll do OK but it just seem they have chosen such a difficult life for themselves from the get-go. This is one pattern of culture that this guy who loathes change wouldn't mind changing.
    Beats taking on $100,000 of debt for a bogus degree.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 222 Times in 203 Posts

Yeah, I tried real hard to get my step-kids to college after high school; one didn't go, the other at least got a certificate from a community college. I hope someday they both go to a full four year college; but they have to be motivated.

The one that hasn't done any post-high-school training - I also tried to get her to think about joining something like the carpenter's trade -going for apprenticeship and vo-tech training; not everyone needs to go to a full college, and she's very good at working with wood and crafts with her hands. That hasn't appealed yet either.

But at least neither one has gone the married/pregnant route! It made me realize just how tough it is to get kids to go to college when their parents haven't been. (Their mom, who they lived with, never went to college and didn't think it was important.) And even with supportive parents, as you found out, it sometimes just doesn't happen...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tekkychick For This Post:

leaningright (07-05-2013)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

And yes, I know that my limited group doesn't indicate a national trend, but I'm just sayin'.
    No, you're right. You need to take a marketable major and it's hard to go wrong with science and math.

There are other marketable skills that don't require a college pathway to sucess. I know quite a few guys in my age group in the skilled trades who make damned good money. Some make more than I do and I earn well above the median income but in my experience earning skilled status in a trade is harder than earning a underwater basket weaving degree too.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

leaningright (07-05-2013), tekkychick (07-05-2013)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think the title is accurate. It's not an automatic route to success, but it still opens doors that would otherwise be closed. It might hurt you if you're trying to take a job intended for the unskilled.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    I don't think the title is accurate. It's not an automatic route to success, but it still opens doors that would otherwise be closed. It might hurt you if you're trying to take a job intended for the unskilled.
    Depends on what you study and where you go to school. Sure, a good well rounded liberal arts education at a quality accredited university prepares well round individuals. That is their mission statement. It is not to make you a marketable commodity. That is what the market and your own work ethic are for. Having said that, not all major courses of study are created equal and some better prepare young people to compete and learn in the market than others do. Conversely none of them mean shit if you don't have a strong work ethic. Though that's a non-sequitor as you're not going to complete a science or math curriculum at a quality school if you're lazy.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Depends on what you study and where you go to school. Sure, a good well rounded liberal arts education at a quality accredited university prepares well round individuals. That is their mission statement. It is not to make you a marketable commodity. That is what the market and your own work ethic are for. Having said that, not all major courses of study are created equal and some better prepare young people to compete and learn in the market than others do. Conversely none of them mean shit if you don't have a strong work ethic. Though that's a non-sequitor as you're not going to complete a science or math curriculum at a quality school if you're lazy.
    I dunno....I'm pretty damn lazy and just got my transfer to MSU accepted.

Anyways, this is basically the last of supply and demand at work here. The supply of college grads has gone up with demand remaining the same, hence price paid for those degrees (in terms of wages) goes down. I'm not all that well versed on economics that don't involve manufacturing, but even I understand this concept.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LORD of the FISHFLYS View Post
    I dunno....I'm pretty damn lazy and just got my transfer to MSU accepted.

Anyways, this is basically the last of supply and demand at work here. The supply of college grads has gone up with demand remaining the same, hence price paid for those degrees (in terms of wages) goes down. I'm not all that well versed on economics that don't involve manufacturing, but even I understand this concept.
    Yea but how many of those grads have sociology and art history degrees? Trust me, demand for those with education in science, math and technology continues to rise.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Yea but how many of those grads have sociology and art history degrees? Trust me, demand for those with education in science, math and technology continues to rise.
    I know, I wqs speaking of degrees in general.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.