Thread: A Genuine Obama Scandal?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default A Genuine Obama Scandal?

The government demanding the phone records of millions of Americans, you say?

Verizon order: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Americans daily

The National Security Agency is currently collecting the telephone records of millions of US customers of Verizon, one of America's largest telecoms providers, under a top secret court order issued in April.

The order, a copy of which has been obtained by the Guardian, requires Verizon on an "ongoing, daily basis" to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries.

The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing.

The secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (Fisa) granted the order to the FBI on April 25, giving the government unlimited authority to obtain the data for a specified three-month period ending on July 19.

Under the terms of the blanket order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data, call duration, unique identifiers, and the time and duration of all calls. The contents of the conversation itself are not covered.

The disclosure is likely to reignite longstanding debates in the US over the proper extent of the government's domestic spying powers.

Under the Bush administration, officials in security agencies had disclosed to reporters the large-scale collection of call records data by the NSA, but this is the first time significant and top-secret documents have revealed the continuation of the practice on a massive scale under President Obama.

The unlimited nature of the records being handed over to the NSA is extremely unusual. Fisa court orders typically direct the production of records pertaining to a specific named target who is suspected of being an agent of a terrorist group or foreign state, or a finite set of individually named targets.

The Guardian approached the National Security Agency, the White House and the Department of Justice for comment in advance of publication on Wednesday. All declined. The agencies were also offered the opportunity to raise specific security concerns regarding the publication of the court order.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...on-court-order

Full court ruling here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/inte...ta-court-order

This is the sort of thing i'd expect to happen over here, in the home of secretive government (although maybe our government is just better at hushing things up).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

Rune (06-07-2013)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    The government demanding the phone records of millions of Americans, you say?

Verizon order: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Americans daily

The National Security Agency is currently collecting the telephone records of millions of US customers of Verizon, one of America's largest telecoms providers, under a top secret court order issued in April.

The order, a copy of which has been obtained by the Guardian, requires Verizon on an "ongoing, daily basis" to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries.

The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing.

The secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (Fisa) granted the order to the FBI on April 25, giving the government unlimited authority to obtain the data for a specified three-month period ending on July 19.

Under the terms of the blanket order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data, call duration, unique identifiers, and the time and duration of all calls. The contents of the conversation itself are not covered.

The disclosure is likely to reignite longstanding debates in the US over the proper extent of the government's domestic spying powers.

Under the Bush administration, officials in security agencies had disclosed to reporters the large-scale collection of call records data by the NSA, but this is the first time significant and top-secret documents have revealed the continuation of the practice on a massive scale under President Obama.

The unlimited nature of the records being handed over to the NSA is extremely unusual. Fisa court orders typically direct the production of records pertaining to a specific named target who is suspected of being an agent of a terrorist group or foreign state, or a finite set of individually named targets.

The Guardian approached the National Security Agency, the White House and the Department of Justice for comment in advance of publication on Wednesday. All declined. The agencies were also offered the opportunity to raise specific security concerns regarding the publication of the court order.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...on-court-order

Full court ruling here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/inte...ta-court-order

This is the sort of thing i'd expect to happen over here, in the home of secretive government (although maybe our government is just better at hushing things up).
    we can only hope that the amount of data overwhelms their system, however, with computers becoming faster and more capable even this is a forlorn hope.

my question is why this wholesale sweep of data was needed and what the government plans on doing with the information. does the freedom of information act cover any of these questions? or is the nsa free to act as as judge determines...with a rubber stamp
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Obama had no idea, just like every other boss in the world.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Did not Obama just come out in a speech and say the war on terror is over? If it is over, why is he still collecting data? Or is he just creating an enemies list on those that do not drink the Kool-Aid.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,768 Times in 27,242 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

um No he didnt say the war on terror was over.

This is obviously a data mine to look for some pattern that involves verrizon usage.

Its such a large data request it (like DQ suggests) is likely needed to find a certain pattern that they could then refine down to whom is in the pattern 0nce the pattern is determined.

No listening to what the people are saying and HUGE data size tells the story.

Once you see who it is that is calling a certain location ( or whatever is the tip of the iceberg) then you look at the parts that tells you who and how long.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,768 Times in 27,242 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

the right in this country did the same type of screaming about Clinton trying to get OBL before 911.

wag the dog and government overreach and the like.

then we got hit becuase Bush took his eye off the ball and what did the right do?

started chanting "if you aint with us your agin' us".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-06-2013)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    um No he didnt say the war on terror was over.

This is obviously a data mine to look for some pattern that involves verrizon usage.

Its such a large data request it (like DQ suggests) is likely needed to find a certain pattern that they could then refine down to whom is in the pattern 0nce the pattern is determined.

No listening to what the people are saying and HUGE data size tells the story.

Once you see who it is that is calling a certain location ( or whatever is the tip of the iceberg) then you look at the parts that tells you who and how long.
    Yes he did say it was over.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rror-over.html

When Bush did it, you liberals went ballistic, now that Obama is doing the same thing and on a larger scale, you have no problem with it.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

the right in this country did the same type of screaming about Clinton trying to get OBL before 911.

evidence? or just another one of your baseless claims?

then we got hit becuase Bush took his eye off the ball and what did the right do?

Maybe y'all should wait until Obama finds out about this from the news. We all know he didn't know about it. Or it was low level, roque agents. Or....................

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

DamnYankee (06-07-2013), Rationalist (06-06-2013)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 640 Times in 574 Posts
    Blog Entries

How much do you get paid to post this disinformation, Clinton trying to get OBL? ha, Still blaming Bush for Clinton's failures to have a foreign policy.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RazorX View Post
    Yes he did say it was over.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rror-over.html

When Bush did it, you liberals went ballistic, now that Obama is doing the same thing and on a larger scale, you have no problem with it.
    The Daily Mail? Please. You gots to step correctly to Desh with the appropriate "legitimate" news sources like Think Progress and Al Sharpton.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

DamnYankee (06-07-2013)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think a President exercising powers that Congress gave him and that a Court authorized is much of a scandal in the true sense of the word. Also, I don't think it's all that shocking that a President who, as Senator, voted to retroactively immunize illegal wiretapping would make borad use of surveillance powers.

Which is not to say that there aren't real and concerning issues here. Just that (1) they've been issues since roughly October 26, 2001 and (2) lots of people are seemingly OK with it.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 222 Times in 203 Posts

This isn't an Obama scandal. It's not a Bush scandal.

It's an appalling thing that our govt is doing, but as Dungheap says, they're just doing what congress lets them do and the people in general aren't objecting. (there is protest, but doesn't seem to be a majority)

Let's face it - most people will give up freedom for security; they'll say "I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't care if the govt tracks my phone records as long as they get the bad guys".

I'm very much a privacy rights person, so this stuff appalls me, but I think even if McCain was in office, or Romney was in office, it would still be happening.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tekkychick For This Post:

Don Quixote (06-06-2013), Rune (06-07-2013)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tekkychick View Post
    This isn't an Obama scandal. It's not a Bush scandal.

It's an appalling thing that our govt is doing, but as Dungheap says, they're just doing what congress lets them do and the people in general aren't objecting. (there is protest, but doesn't seem to be a majority)

Let's face it - most people will give up freedom for security; they'll say "I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't care if the govt tracks my phone records as long as they get the bad guys".

I'm very much a privacy rights person, so this stuff appalls me, but I think even if McCain was in office, or Romney was in office, it would still be happening.
    in the world of corporate and governmental data mining privacy is disappearing fast. the best a person can do is go to a cash economy and live as far off of the grid as possible.

go with all electric power (solar), use snail mail instead of email, etc. or live a life in a goldfish bowl
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Quixote For This Post:

tekkychick (06-06-2013)

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

looks more like the war on americans than a war on anything else
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    looks more like the war on americans than a war on anything else
    i wonder what would happen if all of the people that use or are ok with recreational drugs acknowledged it