Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey....gun guys...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,523 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 139 Times in 129 Posts

Default Hey....gun guys...

I am going to a public sale on Thursday....there's a semi auto pistol up for bid....two actually, but I'm only interested in the one. It's a Raven Arms P25.

I thought it would be a nice pea shooter, and my wife wants to get into shooting for fun, and I thought with the small caliber, it would be a good starter for her.

I don't know much about them....any idea on what my max bid should be if in good condition?

2. The Following User Groans At Steelplate For This Awful Post:

The Dude (05-08-2013)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 86 Times in 85 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post
    I am going to a public sale on Thursday....there's a semi auto pistol up for bid....two actually, but I'm only interested in the one. It's a Raven Arms P25.

I thought it would be a nice pea shooter, and my wife wants to get into shooting for fun, and I thought with the small caliber, it would be a good starter for her.

I don't know much about them....any idea on what my max bid should be if in good condition?
    I have no idea. I would suggest finding a .22 for her to shoot for fun. It is much more accurate, and hitting the target will help her enjoy shooting.

I have never been a fan of the little .25 autos. Too little power, iffy accuracy even at fairly close range, and crap for sights.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

I would pass on it, unless you just want it for self-defense. Not a gun I would use to go target shooting, .25 ACP ammo is more expensive than .22 ammo.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I suggest a Browning Buckmark 22 pistol for a woman for plinking. I personally prefer the Ruger Mark II and use one for squirrel hunting but the Browning is lighter, costs about the same as the Ruger and is plenty accurate to satisfy. Both of these are full size pistols, not pocket guns, but are definitely more satisfying to shoot as steady aim will be rewarded with targets hit. My wife has shot both and she prefers the lighter Browning over the Ruger. Both come with standard 10 shot clips.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,780 Times in 33,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

She'll shoot her eye out...Ralphie.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

$5. DEAD serious. Brand new they're worth about $50. I wouldn't even buy it if I were you honestly
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

For a bit of background, Raven Arms is part of a 'group' of manufacturers (including Lorcain, Jennings, Bryco, and Phoenix), that make probably the shittiest guns on the market. Often cast from inferior metals (such as Zinc), they exhibit poor quality at every level and even poorer reliability. For your wife, whom you're hoping to get into shooting, having to clear a jam every 3-5 rounds will not be fun. It would be even less fun if she suffered a catastrophic failure.

If you want a BUDGET gun to get her shooting, nothing beats a Hi-Point 380. Or if you have a tad more to spend (ANY gift for your wife should cost a couple hundred anyways), your options open up considerably. And those guns will most likely serve her much better, and be softer on your wallet in the long run (25acp is expensive).
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Minister of Truth (04-30-2013)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Re: Hey....gun guys...

OK...thanks guys...I think I'm going to pass on the sale all together.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

OK...thanks guys...I think I'm going to pass on the sale all together.
    Good call.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you want an inexpensive gun to target shoot and get in to shooting, look around for a Ruger Single Six. It is a single action .22 revolver, so she will have to cock it for each shot, which helps her stay focused and avoid learning bad habits. It is also one of the safest guns out there. As a bonus, it is an accurate plinker and comes with a spare cylinder so you can also shoot .22 magnums.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    If you want an inexpensive gun to target shoot and get in to shooting, look around for a Ruger Single Six. It is a single action .22 revolver, so she will have to cock it for each shot, which helps her stay focused and avoid learning bad habits. It is also one of the safest guns out there. As a bonus, it is an accurate plinker and comes with a spare cylinder so you can also shoot .22 magnums.
    Yeah, I have a Super Blackhawk .44mag...which is too much for her. I agree that single actions force you to take your time. Looking back on that purchase, I kind of wish I would have went for the .357. 44 shells, even the specials, are expensive to plink with. At least with the .357, you can shoot .38 shells in them...which are reasonable.

EDIT: I guess part of the lure was also selfish...never owned a semi auto... thought it would be fun

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I suggest a Browning Buckmark 22 pistol for a woman for plinking. I personally prefer the Ruger Mark II and use one for squirrel hunting but the Browning is lighter, costs about the same as the Ruger and is plenty accurate to satisfy. Both of these are full size pistols, not pocket guns, but are definitely more satisfying to shoot as steady aim will be rewarded with targets hit. My wife has shot both and she prefers the lighter Browning over the Ruger. Both come with standard 10 shot clips.
    I have a Ruger Mark I which I've owned since the early 70's.
    Most reliable hand gun that I've ever shot.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah, I have a Super Blackhawk .44mag...which is too much for her. I agree that single actions force you to take your time. Looking back on that purchase, I kind of wish I would have went for the .357. 44 shells, even the specials, are expensive to plink with. At least with the .357, you can shoot .38 shells in them...which are reasonable.

EDIT: I guess part of the lure was also selfish...never owned a semi auto... thought it would be fun
    A semi auto can be lots of fun. Buy a good one. Like a Ruger MkII. I have a bull bbl model that is amazingly accurate and functions flawlessly.

My girlfriend has a pair of .357 revolvers (a Taurus and a S&W). She loves target shooting with the .38 special rounds.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    A semi auto can be lots of fun. Buy a good one. Like a Ruger MkII. I have a bull bbl model that is amazingly accurate and functions flawlessly.

My girlfriend has a pair of .357 revolvers (a Taurus and a S&W). She loves target shooting with the .38 special rounds.
    Thanks....I'll look around...about a half hour away is a gun shop that has an incredible selection....and it's a local business. I buy local whenever I can with just about anything...the anti-corporatist in me hates chain stores

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts