Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad News For the Keystone XL

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 3,035 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 909 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Cornelius Sulla View Post
    Or wind farms. Ever see how wind farms fuck up birds and migration patterns? Not to mention the environmental cost of all the materials involved...
    I never before heard this silliness. Did it come from Breitbart?

http://www.journalofappliedecology.o...choice492.html

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 3,035 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 909 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Yes

1) Nothing is safe to the environment FOREVER, it has to be maintained
    If the Pegasus pipeline wasn't maintained what guarantee do we have Keystone will be?

Yes

2) It does bring benefit to the US
    3) It does create sustainable jobs at the US refineries in TX
    4) Even if it were just temporary jobs, they would be temporary jobs at a time we desperately need jobs.
    5) Almost all infrastructure development jobs are temporary...
    Cite?

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howey View Post
    If the Pegasus pipeline wasn't maintained what guarantee do we have Keystone will be?
    Well gee Howey, we have no guarantee that any of our infrastructure will be maintained. Pegasus was over 60 years old. Saying 'it wasn't maintained' is a bit of a stretch. There is only so much you can do to keep something together... eventually it has to be replaced. You know... like by building a new pipeline?

Cite?
    Common sense.

1) Benefits to the US... revenues to the states for the pipelines, revenue to the refineries in TX, jobs at the refineries, jobs maintaining the pipelines

2) Jobs at the refineries are a given... the oil does not refine itself

3) Unemployment is still above 7.5%... so we do desperately need jobs, even if they only last a few years (in reality those are the perfect jobs for this environment)

4) Once a bridge/road etc... is built, the crews don't continue working on those projects... because they are done.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.2 For This Post:

NOVA (04-02-2013)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

lol... so because eventually (which can be anywhere from tomorrow-100 years in the future) it will have an accident, we shouldn't build it?

Planes eventually have accidents. So do auto's. So do buildings. Etc... nothing is meant to last forever. It is blatantly silly to pretend that because things eventually break down, we shouldn't build them to begin with.
    in this case i think it will be sooner rather than later unless the pipe is coated with something to offset the corrosiveness of the 'oil'
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes

1) Nothing is safe to the environment FOREVER, it has to be maintained
    2) It does bring benefit to the US
    3) It does create sustainable jobs at the US refineries in TX
    4) Even if it were just temporary jobs, they would be temporary jobs at a time we desperately need jobs.
    5) Almost all infrastructure development jobs are temporary...
    so jobs at any cost, i this is so, then why does not congress pass a jobs bill

oil companies have a bad reputation regarding maintenance of pipelines, come to think of it, they have a bad reputation period...their motto is 'trust us'

as for 1940's pipeline, maybe they built them better then, but documentation have you?
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Quixote For This Post:

Howey (04-01-2013)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well gee Howey, we have no guarantee that any of our infrastructure will be maintained. Pegasus was over 60 years old. Saying 'it wasn't maintained' is a bit of a stretch. There is only so much you can do to keep something together... eventually it has to be replaced. You know... like by building a new pipeline?

Common sense.

1) Benefits to the US... revenues to the states for the pipelines, revenue to the refineries in TX, jobs at the refineries, jobs maintaining the pipelines

2) Jobs at the refineries are a given... the oil does not refine itself

3) Unemployment is still above 7.5%... so we do desperately need jobs, even if they only last a few years (in reality those are the perfect jobs for this environment)

4) Once a bridge/road etc... is built, the crews don't continue working on those projects... because they are done.
    how can you cite common sense when it is so rare and profits so important...it is the bottom line each quarter that gives CEO's the big bucks

9. The Following User Groans At Don Quixote For This Awful Post:

NOVA (04-02-2013)

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,689 Times in 5,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

The divelopment of alternative fuels have been dampered over a course of 75 years or so, by the oil industry. Once a system is in place... financial interests solidify and work to keep things are they are.

Slowly, those who stand to gain money by a change will build and push. Dont fool yourselves, in a Capitolist system, these things are not focused on whats in society's best interest, they are driven by who has the money to get things to be done the way they want them to be done.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. The Following User Groans At Jarod For This Awful Post:

NOVA (04-02-2013)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Don Quixote (04-01-2013)

13. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    in this case i think it will be sooner rather than later unless the pipe is coated with something to offset the corrosiveness of the 'oil'
    Enlighten me on the corrosives of the oil and how fast that will occur. Also, do you think the oil companies have never transported such oil before?
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

14. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

so jobs at any cost, i this is so, then why does not congress pass a jobs bill

oil companies have a bad reputation regarding maintenance of pipelines, come to think of it, they have a bad reputation period...their motto is 'trust us'

as for 1940's pipeline, maybe they built them better then, but documentation have you?
    Jobs at any cost? No.

Jobs that make sense, yes.

Given the amount of oil transported on an annual basis, I would say they have a done a damn good job with maintenance.

Documentation for what? When it was built?
    Quote from Cypress:

15. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

how can you cite common sense when it is so rare and profits so important...it is the bottom line each quarter that gives CEO's the big bucks
    How about you let me know which of the points you disagree with and why. Then we can discuss that.
    Quote from Cypress:

16. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like chromium? A common alloy is modern steels?

?
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

lol... so because eventually (which can be anywhere from tomorrow-100 years in the future) it will have an accident, we shouldn't build it?

Planes eventually have accidents. So do auto's. So do buildings. Etc... nothing is meant to last forever. It is blatantly silly to pretend that because things eventually break down, we shouldn't build them to begin with.
    Build them, but choose the route that if there is a leak the least amount of damage will be incurred. You must also maintain them!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Howey (04-01-2013)

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Build them, but choose the route that if there is a leak the least amount of damage will be incurred. You must also maintain them!
    Agree with all of the above.
    Quote from Cypress:

20. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Enlighten me on the corrosives of the oil and how fast that will occur. Also, do you think the oil companies have never transported such oil before?
    i posted an article on the keystone pipeline on the app forum a week or two ago. it has the information that you want.

as for tar sand oil, no, to the best of my knowledge, it has not been used before. there is an extensive supply in Canada, but crude oil is what other petroleum companies deal with and it has a corrosiveness of its own (depending on the sulfur content). i think that Canada should refine the oil and ship the refinery output via pipelines or rail to the u s.

i do not know if the link to the article is still valid, however, i did a cut and paste and the information should still be there.

21. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How about you let me know which of the points you disagree with and why. Then we can discuss that.
    let's start win #1, i think it should be refined in Canada and the refinery output shipped to the u s.