Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Catholic Church service

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default OT: Catholic Church service

Went to my first Catholic Church service today. Question for those Catholics on the board do they usually throw holy water at each service? Admittedly I didn't know what was going on and was like why the hell is this dude throwing water at me?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think it happens at every service, Wackster.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Went to my first Catholic Church service today. Question for those Catholics on the board do they usually throw holy water at each service? Admittedly I didn't know what was going on and was like why the hell is this dude throwing water at me?
    First question.....what prompted you to attend an Easter Catholic mass?

Second question have you lost your mind? (Don't answer, that's a rhetorical question.).

Actually thats an Easter mass ritual. I've been to quite a few mass's as a lot of my friends and my wife are Catholic. Normally they dont' sprinkle holy water on the parishiners.

Catholic mass can vary quite a bit depending on the culture of the community. Latino and Filipino mass are a combination of somber liturgy and light hearted sermon and they tend to end upbeat and joyfully.

Where as the German Catholic mass's are durm and strang and are about as upbeat as an execution. The ones I've been to serve to remind you that if you're not white, German, rural and Catholic then you're not really a life form and thus don't have to be respected as one. However, keep in mind many of these same people are dissapointed in Hitler and Southerners for their liberal tendencies.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post

Second question have you lost your mind? (Don't answer, that's a rhetorical question.).

Actually thats an Easter mass ritual. I've been to quite a few mass's as a lot of my friends and my wife are Catholic. Normally they dont' sprinkle holy water on the parishiners.

Catholic mass can vary quite a bit depending on the culture of the community. Latino and Filipino mass are a combination of somber liturgy and light hearted sermon and they tend to end upbeat and joyfully.

Where as the German Catholic mass's are durm and strang and are about as upbeat as an execution. The ones I've been to serve to remind you that if you're not white, German, rural and Catholic then you're not really a life form and thus don't have to be respected as one. However, keep in mind many of these same people are dissapointed in Hitler and Southerners for their liberal tendencies.
    In Texas, the mother-in-law just passed. The dad is Catholic so we went to his church. Was good service. Lots of standing, sitting and kneeling. I enjoyed it. That throwing of holy water caught me off guard.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In Texas, the mother-in-law just passed. The dad is Catholic so we went to his church. Was good service. Lots of standing, sitting and kneeling. I enjoyed it. That throwing of holy water caught me off guard.
    It's Texas......you're lucky it wasn't gasoline!

Hmm I'd forgotten that....you can get a pretty good cardio work out at a Catholic mass. Just remember to never, ever genuflect with your left hand.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I don't think it happens at every service, Wackster.
    It's a good thing he didn't find out about the wine.....his wife would have been real pissed!!!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

No it happens on Easter, to renew our baptism, and one or more other occasions which I can't recall right now.

Did some hit you and caused burns? If so that's not a good sign.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DamnYankee For This Post:

Damocles (03-31-2013)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Did they swing around the smoking thing on the chain?

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    No it happens on Easter, to renew our baptism, and one or more other occasions which I can't recall right now.

Did some hit you and caused burns? If so that's not a good sign.
    It hit some women who have the big Texas hair. They weren't happy.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

There's a weed that smells just like that smokey thing on the chain and the growers named it "church"

LOL smells just like it! Swear to god!

My dealer in CT used to get it and it was called "church". Google turns up some other strain with the name "the church" but here's a link to a forum where someone else says what I'm saying.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=245703

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post

wow, i see you've attended something I'd call home!

Actually, last night was exciting. We had short/old candles and the paper film for leaky wax was just printer paper. I saw my mom's wick was about to reach the paper, and said nothing out of curiosity. Sure enough, it caught fire, and I quickly blew it out! Aren't I a wonderful son?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-31-2013)

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Cawacko, it's called Mass. Services are for Protestants, Divine Liturgy is an Easter Orthodox thing.
    My bad. That's the Protestant in me speaking.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Minister of Truth (03-31-2013), Mott the Hoople (03-31-2013)

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Did they swing around the smoking thing on the chain?
    It's called "incense". Think of it as ancient Fabreeze. It depends on the church. Some do it every mass. Mine, maybe twice/ year.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    wow, i see you've attended something I'd call home!

Actually, last night was exciting. We had short/old candles and the paper film for leaky wax was just printer paper. I saw my mom's wick was about to reach the paper, and said nothing out of curiosity. Sure enough, it caught fire, and I quickly blew it out! Aren't I a wonderful son?

Oh that reminds me of something funny. In an act which could only be described as "ironic" a few years ago the Catholic priest who ran the parish in my home town retired. He has been replaced by a Nigerian priest. This.....in a town where most of the residents to this day refer to any person of African heritage by the "N" word. I about heaved a lung laughing when I found out. I'm sure the town fathers of Coldwater were simply not amused at the Churches selection.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

christiefan915 (04-01-2013), Minister of Truth (03-31-2013)