Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teacher Salaries' Glance

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Teacher Salaries' Glance

Teacher Salaries' Glance

A look at average and beginning teacher salaries in each state for the 2004-2005 school year, the latest for which such figures are available:
    State Average Beginning
    Ala. 38,186 31,368
    Alaska 52,467 38,657
    Ariz. 39,095 30,404
    Ark. 41,489 28,784
    Calif. 57,604 35,760
    Colo. 43,965 35,086
    Conn. 57,760 39,259
    Del. 52,924 35,854
    Fla. 43,095 33,427
    Ga. 46,437 34,442
    Hawaii 47,833 35,816
    Idaho 40,864 27,500
    Ill. 56,494 37,500
    Ind. 46,591 30,844
    Iowa 39,284 27,284
    Kan. 39,351 27,840
    Ky. 41,075 30,619
    La. 39,022 31,298
    Maine 40,935 26,643
    Md. 52,330 37,125
    Mass. 54,688 35,421
    Mich. 53,959 35,557
    Minn. 47,411 31,632
    Miss. 38,212 28,200
    Mo. 39,064 29,281
    Mont. 38,485 25,318
    Neb. 39,441 29,303
    Nev. 43,212 27,957
    N.H. 43,941 28,279
    N.J. 56,635 38,408
    N.M. 39,391 33,730
    N.Y. 55,665 37,321
    N.C. 43,343 27,944
    N.D. 36,449 24,872
    Ohio 49,438 33,671
    Okla. 37,879 29,174
    Ore. 48,320 33,699
    Pa. 53,281 34,976
    R.I. 56,432 33,815
    S.C. 42,189 28,568
    S.D. 34,039 26,111
    Tenn. 42,076 32,369
    Texas 41,009 33,775
    Utah 37,006 26,521
    Vt. 44,346 26,461
    Va. 45,377 33,200
    Wash. 45,722 30,974
    W.Va. 38,404 26,704
    Wis. 43,099 25,222
    Wyo. 40,487 31,481
    Nation 47,602 31,753

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's always wise to keep in mind that teaching salaries are primarily a function of what people pay in property taxes. For a state like IL, that appears 'high' there are countless rural districts outside the 5 country metro area, that do not pay close to that.

In my high school district, a teacher with an MA/MS +15 or more post grad hours, one extra curricular function, and at least 10 years teaching experience earns $125k, benefits, and a sabbatical semester every 5 years.

My elementary district for the same CV is $90k, with benefits, no sabbaticals.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is impossible to gauge the value of a teacher's salary by only looking at the starting numbers. Teachers long ago obligated their employers through their union contracts to heavier payments toward the end. Beginning salaries are small, but even 10 years down the road with a Master's Degree they will be making more than my employees would after the same amount of time. It also was given at the end more than the beginning, it is in retirement that they really gain their largest advantage. They sold the beginning years out for the future.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It is impossible to gauge the value of a teacher's salary by only looking at the starting numbers. Teachers long ago obligated their employers through their union contracts to heavier payments toward the end. Beginning salaries are small, but even 10 years down the road with a Master's Degree they will be making more than my employees would after the same amount of time. It also was given at the end more than the beginning, it is in retirement that they really gain their largest advantage. They sold the beginning years out for the future.
    Which is an entirely rational approach to take. Fundamentally little different from investing some of one's income in an IRA.

The *median* salary for elementary and high school teachers, at least here in California, is still nothing to write home about. In fact, it sucks, by California standards.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Umm the average pay guys, does it tell ya anything....
    Proving tax cuts work!

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Umm the average pay guys, does it tell ya anything....
    Average covers only a small range. One of the effects of the early salary being so small is often they do not stay for long. Most teachers are in the early years and have not yet seen the advantage of sticking. The average is skewed because of this phenomena, it also ensures those who stick more job security.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Average covers only a small range. One of the effects of the early salary being so small is often they do not stay for long. Most teachers are in the early years and have not yet seen the advantage of sticking. The average is skewed because of this phenomena, it also ensures those who stick more job security.
    Well form the salaires you guys were talking about it , and considering the average teachers pay in the chart it appears we have a pretty young crop of teachers.
    Proving tax cuts work!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well form the salaires you guys were talking about it , and considering the average teachers pay in the chart it appears we have a pretty young crop of teachers.
    Which was my point. You should see the teachers in my kids' elementary school.

It should also be noted that more rural areas are also included in the median. The entire state would have a wide range of salaries as well, usually much higher in the more urban areas. Such is the case in every place that I have lived.

It also should be noted that other benefits, such as specially created housing for teachers sold below market value such as they have in areas such as Boulder, CO are also not included.

Much of the benefits related to teaching are not shown by listing only a salary, nor is the full story of teacher pay shown by listing a median that includes so many varied salaries across a state. A teacher making 65K in Denver may have about the same purchasing power as a teacher making 35 to 40K in a more rural area. Yet there are more teachers in the rural areas of Colorado definitely effecting a Median salary when including so many varied areas.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

well they should move out of Denver then.
    Proving tax cuts work!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

well they should move out of Denver then.
    Why? They get paid so that they have the same purchasing power as those in the rural areas. You seem to misunderstand what I stated. Those in the Rural areas have as much purchasing power as those higher paid in the Urban areas.

The fact that they outnumber those in the Urban areas simply draws down the Median in your post. The number is artificially low because they include a vast difference in area, cost of living, payment schedules, don't include the other benefits such as special loans for buying houses in Denver for Teachers... and about a myriad of other things. Teachers are better compensated than the simplistic "Median" of a list of states will ever give you.

It is a reason that those who want to continue to press the idea that teachers are underpaid constantly use such inaccurate numbers to "prove" that they are right.

Teachers are far better compensated than such a list will show.

A better measure would be teachers in each area's purchasing power as compared to cost of living rather than a median salary spread over an entire state. The list should also include any outside benefits such as the equity in a home purchased under market value specifically set aside for teachers in high cost areas...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why? They get paid so that they have the same purchasing power as those in the rural areas. You seem to misunderstand what I stated. Those in the Rural areas have as much purchasing power as those higher paid in the Urban areas.

The fact that they outnumber those in the Urban areas simply draws down the Median in your post. The number is artificially low because they include a vast difference in area, cost of living, payment schedules, don't include the other benefits such as special loans for buying houses in Denver for Teachers... and about a myriad of other things. Teachers are better compensated than the simplistic "Median" of a list of states will ever give you.

It is a reason that those who want to continue to press the idea that teachers are underpaid constantly use such inaccurate numbers to "prove" that they are right.

Teachers are far better compensated than such a list will show.

A better measure would be teachers in each area's purchasing power as compared to cost of living rather than a median salary spread over an entire state. The list should also include any outside benefits such as the equity in a home purchased under market value specifically set aside for teachers in high cost areas...
    I guess it is a personal thing, but I can see no reason to live in a big city if you can have the same standard of living in a rural setting. Live fast die young ?
    Proving tax cuts work!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I guess it is a personal thing, but I can see no reason to live in a big city if you can have the same standard of living in a rural setting. Live fast die young ?
    Some prefer that city thing. I do not, but I won't begrudge those who do. It makes for more places that I can live.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Some prefer that city thing. I do not, but I won't begrudge those who do. It makes for more places that I can live.
    yeah darned good point. To all city folks , it really sucks out in the country don't move there!
    Proving tax cuts work!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seems like a pretty freakin' good deal especially when you consider they have like every holiday off during the winter months and two and a half months off during the summer every year.
    Last edited by LadyT; 08-20-2007 at 05:50 AM.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

2.5 months off during the winter ?
    Not in the states I have lived in.

They would have to pay me a lot to put up with the brats.
    Proving tax cuts work!