Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAY OT: Did the KC Chiefs just go full retard?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default WAY OT: Did the KC Chiefs just go full retard?

(Please Lord, I hope this is true!) Being reported that the Chiefs are giving up a 2nd round pick this year and a 'similar' pick next year for Alex Smith. Yes atheists, there is a God!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Smith's not even that great (he is definitely really good with a track record). If you want to get a stellar QB who has been relegated to back-up, I would recommend Matt Flynn (who I think is one of the NFL's greatest, but only time will tell) or Kirk Cousins. Hell, even Nick Foles is worth the investment since he's just coming off his rookie year with a shitty team.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

2nd round pick this year (though it is number 34 over all) and a mid rounder next year...

Given the weak ass crap available at QB in the draft, a 2nd rounder is fine with me to get an above average starting QB.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Smith's not even that great (he is definitely really good with a track record). If you want to get a stellar QB who has been relegated to back-up, I would recommend Matt Flynn (who I think is one of the NFL's greatest, but only time will tell) or Kirk Cousins. Hell, even Nick Foles is worth the investment since he's just coming off his rookie year with a shitty team.
    1) Flynn is too expensive and he is unproven.
    2) Cousins is not leaving DC... not with the injuries to RGIII
    3) Foles is worthless

Smith is not great... but he is above average and has developed enough to not lose games for you... ala Matt Cassel.

No QBs this year in the draft worth that second rounder they just gave up... so it will have to do for now.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    2nd round pick this year (though it is number 34 over all) and a mid rounder next year...

Given the weak ass crap available at QB in the draft, a 2nd rounder is fine with me to get an above average starting QB.
    It's being reported locally that the pick next year is basically a 2nd rounder as well. If it were one second round pick and mid round then the trade doesn't look so bad to me. Two 2nd rounders seems high.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's being reported locally that the pick next year is basically a 2nd rounder as well. If it were one second round pick and mid round then the trade doesn't look so bad to me. Two 2nd rounders seems high.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...-chiefs-source

Contingent on how he plays next year... they say conditional mid round pick... so I would guess not another 2nd... but who knows.
    Quote from Cypress:

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

It's a little steep, but I'd be stoked if I was a Chiefs fan. Smith may not be elite or anything, but he'll be a solid QB for years - something they haven't had in a long time. It's worth it to lock down that position.

I'm sure 49ers fans are happy, as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Phantasmal (02-27-2013)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,165 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Eagles are keeping Foles.

Cawako, I didn't see anything about giving up our pick...

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

Good deal for chiefs, 2 second rounders could be non starters.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    It's a little steep, but I'd be stoked if I was a Chiefs fan. Smith may not be elite or anything, but he'll be a solid QB for years - something they haven't had in a long time. It's worth it to lock down that position.

I'm sure 49ers fans are happy, as well.
    I don't know about stoked, but I think this was a no brainer. As a Chiefs fan, it has been painful with Matt Cassel. As you said, we haven't had a good QB since Trent Green.

Smith is solid and won't tend to cost us games. Chiefs now have many options with the number one. They can trade our current LT Albert and pick up the A&M LT with the number one (which I hope they do). Or they can resign Albert and try and trade down to regain picks.
    Quote from Cypress:

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think Gino Smith could pleasantly surprise whichever fanbase he winds up getting drafted into.
    He could develop, but he is not ready to start. None of them are this year. Which is why the Chiefs had to move on Smith.
    Quote from Cypress:

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Alex Smith is not a long-term solution to the QB problem in Kansas City. Chiefs gave up quite a bit for a placeholder. Could have used those draft picks to improve at other positions. I mean, it's not as though the QB position is the only position of need.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonestorm For This Post:

Phantasmal (02-27-2013)

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

And I'm not saying Smith isn't an upgrade. He most definitely is. I just don't think he is the QB of the future for KC.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    Alex Smith is not a long-term solution to the QB problem in Kansas City. Chiefs gave up quite a bit for a placeholder. Could have used those draft picks to improve at other positions. I mean, it's not as though the QB position is the only position of need.
    1) It was the biggest team need, by far... no other position is even remotely as weak.

2) True that A. Smith is not a long term solution... but a second round pick plus a mid rounder next year is not a lot for a starting QB (for 3-5 years) who has proven he can win in this league. The other option was what at QB? An unproven rookie?

3) We still have the number one overall pick... we have a lot of options, especially if anyone else wants to trade up.
    Quote from Cypress: