Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Al Gore and Atheists

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry, Klatt, I have a rather blunt sense of humor. I rarely mean to offend, and I wasn't very serious about the statement.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yet this reality does not seem to prevent some nonbelievers from howling their indignation loudly, bolstering their own sense of superiority by ridiculing those who believe in God.

There is a reason for this. The merits of both arguments. Religion is based on pathos, atheism logos....
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And religious believers express their superiority because they believe in God, what is your point ?

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Sorry, Klatt, I have a rather blunt sense of humor. I rarely mean to offend, and I wasn't very serious about the statement.
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    And religious believers express their superiority because they believe in God, what is your point ?
    There is a big difference ... and I think thats where Gore is coming from ...
    As I have stated before .. you are a classic example of what he is talking about. Whenever the subject of God or faith pops up ... you are quick to snipe in with ridicule.. as if you have overriding proof of your personal take.
    I cannot prove the existance of God ... just as you cannot prove why we exist.. yet you and many who think the way you do attempt to use Science as the overriding factor to support yours as definitive proof.... when all you have is theory. Now dont get me wrong .. I am not in anyway, shape or form anti-Science. ..... I just have a wide open mind ..... and Im not sure we will ever have definitive proof as to the reason why we exist ... until our term here expires .. and then either we will know ..or it wont matter.. will it?
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So I do not believe in something that cannot be proven, but according to most in this country I am wrong because they do believe in something that cannot be proven. Logically illogical ?
    Deriding and teaching fear of those who do not believe as they do is a fundamental basic operating concept of most all churches.

It all depends on your point of view.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So I do not believe in something that cannot be proven, but according to most in this country I am wrong because they do believe in something that cannot be proven. Logically illogical ?
    Deriding and teaching fear of those who do not believe as they do is a fundamental basic operating concept of most all churches.

It all depends on your point of view.

I didnt say you are wrong for your non-belief ... and personally I wont ridicule it either ... and I dont think I have ever ridiculed anyone in this forum for beng an atheist. I have argued against those who ridicule or bring up outragous news articles designed to paint a picture with a broad sweeping brush .... but I have never attacked their atheism.

I will stand by your right to not believe as much as I will stand up for the right to worship. But unfortunately I dont beleive this is a two way street ...

Now... if I start a thread about Scripture, God or anything in terms of faith.. and you, robdawg or whomever pop in and start with the fairy tales, spaghetti monster crap ... thats called ridicule. Thats the difference...

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So a pastor preaching against the souless lost sinners being the cause of all the worlds problems is not ridicule ? Yes I guess you are right it is not ridicule, it is slander, which is worse ?

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So a pastor preaching against the souless lost sinners being the cause of all the worlds problems is not ridicule ? Yes I guess you are right it is not ridicule, it is slander, which is worse ?

Why didnt you bring up Islam teaching Imam/Jihad? Why is it always the Pastor(Christian)..wouldnt have anything to do with politics would it? just a point of reference ...

As far as a pastor teaching his congregation about sin ... thats called Religious Instruction... teaching a doctrine ... I will agree ...some take it too far ..i.e. televangelism..... but Sin is a part of most religous doctrines .. and people in this Country are free to choose whether or not they want to take part in it..... and they should be free to do that without the ridicule of those who worship King Kong ... (how does it feel?)

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Agreed Klaatu, And those who wish to not believe should be able to do that without being hammered by the church as well.
    They hammer me I hammer back.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Agreed Klaatu, And those who wish to not believe should be able to do that without being hammered by the church as well.
    They hammer me I hammer back.

Hammer back! It is your right... Just dont be the first to use the hammer ..

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The early hammer gets the nail

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I tend to find that with the religious, when you attempt to dig a little deeper into the nature of their beliefs their arguments slip further into the obscurius per obscurum, circular, pathos-laden notions.

None can provide an explanation beyond that they 'feel' it is correct, yet all tend to argue that their faith has substance....

From bishops to the laity this occurs, the only difference being the articulation of their arguments....

Does this make me arrogant?
    Last edited by AnyOldIron; 08-23-2006 at 03:28 AM.
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldIron View Post
    I tend to find that with the religious, when you attempt to dig a little deeper into the nature of their beliefs their arguments slip further into the obscurius per obscurum, circular, pathos-laden notions.

None can provide an explanation beyond that they 'feel' it is correct, yet all tend to argue that their faith has substance....

From bishops to the laity this occurs, the only difference being the articulation of their arguments....

Does this make me arrogant?

never really thought you were arrogant anyold .. you just like to discuss the nature of religion from a sociological point of view and I can respect that ... until of course you start using the speghetti monster/elf analogies ... thats when arrogance..if ever so slightly... creeps in ...

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldIron View Post

You can say the same for people who subscribe to the ever changing big bang theory ... that out of nothing came something ...

We are only taught what people teach us ... it all boils down to who's agenda do you want to side with ...

Im of the ilk that there is something bigger going on than we can ever imagine ... I think people like Jesus, Buddha and the like had a special insight to that knowledge .... forgive me for being naive ....

My problem with you and your ilk ... you underestimate the reason for being.