1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Army to Expand Recruiting Incentives

Army to Expand Recruiting Incentives

Aug 9, 9:10 PM (ET)

By KIMBERLY HEFLING

WASHINGTON (AP) - Need a down-payment for your home? Seed money to start a business? The Army wants to help - if you're willing to join up. Despite spending nearly $1 billion last year on recruiting bonuses and ads, Army leaders say an even bolder approach is needed to fill wartime ranks.

Under a new proposal, men and women who enlist could pick from a "buffet" of incentives, including up to $45,000 tax-free that they accrue during their career to help buy a home or build a business. Other options would include money for college and to pay off student loans.

An Associated Press review of the increasingly aggressive recruiting offerings found the Army is not only dangling more sign-up rewards - it's loosening rules on age and weight limits, education and drug and criminal records.

It's all part of an Army effort to fill its ranks even as the percentage of young people who say they plan to join the military has hit a historic low - 16 percent by the Pentagon's own surveying - in the fifth year of the Iraq war.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070810/D8QTRMS00.html
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 729 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 152 Times in 139 Posts

"When the Bush twins enlist then I'll join."
    Thats what my 2 sons say to recruiters at their schools. Shuts them up pretty quick.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crashk View Post
    "When the Bush twins enlist then I'll join."
    Thats what my 2 sons say to recruiters at their schools. Shuts them up pretty quick.
    Your sons have good taste. They're both pretty hot.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 729 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 152 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Your sons have good taste. They're both pretty hot.
    *sigh* how DO you make it thru life...?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obviously Cawacko's life is pretty easy.
    Proving tax cuts work!

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Obviously Cawacko's life is pretty easy.
    Really? That's news to me. Do you know something I'm unaware of? Am I in your million dollar will citizen?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Since you asked, lots of laughs, work hard, always work on improving myself as a person (not saying I succeed but its something i try to do) and try and live by the golden rule.

How about yourself Crashk?

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Really? That's news to me. Do you know something I'm unaware of? Am I in your million dollar will citizen?
    Nope not in my will.
    Trust funds for the grandchildren. The farm has it's own trust fund for taxes, as whomever gets it to live on will not own it , cannot borrow money against it or sell it for 50 yrs.
    Trying to keep it from being squandered away or being broken up.
    Proving tax cuts work!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nope not in my will.
    Trust funds for the grandchildren. The farm has it's own trust fund for taxes, as whomever gets it to live on will not own it , cannot borrow money against it or sell it for 50 yrs.
    Trying to keep it from being squandered away or being broken up.
    Your grandchildren are lucky. I like what you've done. How do you figure my life is easy? Because I said the Bush twins look good?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your grandchildren are lucky. I like what you've done. How do you figure my life is easy? Because I said the Bush twins look good?
    The trust fund is for education only, they have to learn to make their own way in life so they do not turn out to be silver spoon scum.
    Why do I think you have it easy ? Hmm I guess because you have such an unrealistic view of things and can still afford to be on the net all day.
    Proving tax cuts work!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The trust fund is for education only, they have to learn to make their own way in life so they do not turn out to be silver spoon scum.
    Why do I think you have it easy ? Hmm I guess because you have such an unrealistic view of things and can still afford to be on the net all day.
    Interesting. So I have an easy life because we have different political beliefs? That's a new one.

And actually I can't afford to be on-line all day. It affects my work and I've been called out on it by people. It's called an internet addiction, not a sign of an easy life sir.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Interesting. So I have an easy life because we have different political beliefs? That's a new one.

And actually I can't afford to be on-line all day. It affects my work and I've been called out on it by people. It's called an internet addiction, not a sign of an easy life sir.
    Have you been Cawacko? Maybe we should never have told you about this board? You know, after the BB went down the tubes, I wasn't on the net nearly as often, and my addiction faded.

But then I have to admit, I think I'm addicted again, with this board.

I totally know how you feel. WTF is up with it? I don't get it.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Have you been Cawacko? Maybe we should never have told you about this board? You know, after the BB went down the tubes, I wasn't on the net nearly as often, and my addiction faded.

But then I have to admit, I think I'm addicted again, with this board.

I totally know how you feel. WTF is up with it? I don't get it.
    I was still addicted to the BB board even after you left but it was starting to fade as I got tired of the trolls and the same posters and then right at that time you guys told me about this board!

For some reason (in my opinion) no matter how much people argue and stuff on this board this is some strange bond that develops between posters who for the most part don't know each other and will never meet each other. And that keeps us coming back.

I realize when I hear a political event happen and my first thought is see what the Politics board says I know I have problems.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was still addicted to the BB board even after you left but it was starting to fade as I got tired of the trolls and the same posters and then right at that time you guys told me about this board!

For some reason (in my opinion) no matter how much people argue and stuff on this board this is some strange bond that develops between posters who for the most part don't know each other and will never meet each other. And that keeps us coming back.

I realize when I hear a political event happen and my first thought is see what the Politics board says I know I have problems.
    Yeah, it's like a community develops, that beats the hell out of the community you are surrounded by at the office? It's probably way more complicated than that, who knows. It is very strange.

I remember back in the halcyon days of the BB, and I would sign in there as soon as I got to work. There is no way I wanted to talk to my annoying and boring co-workers when I could sign in and see Sarge already at Scott, and Zappa ranting about Sarge, God I would laugh all day long. It's like remembering college or something, as if you really knew those guys. It's so weird.

Here is a close second to that, and as more and more people come here, I could defintely see it getting as good as that was. That lasted a couple of years before it all fell apart. I've embraced my addiction, but then, I don't want to be a millionaire like you do cawacko, lol. You might have some problems.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Yeah, it's like a community develops, that beats the hell out of the community you are surrounded by at the office? It's probably way more complicated than that, who knows. It is very strange.

I remember back in the halcyon days of the BB, and I would sign in there as soon as I got to work. There is no way I wanted to talk to my annoying and boring co-workers when I could sign in and see Sarge already at Scott, and Zappa ranting about Sarge, God I would laugh all day long. It's like remembering college or something, as if you really knew those guys. It's so weird.

Here is a close second to that, and as more and more people come here, I could defintely see it getting as good as that was. That lasted a couple of years before it all fell apart. I've embraced my addiction, but then, I don't want to be a millionaire like you do cawacko, lol. You might have some problems.
    LOL! Touche! I will justify my failure to make millions by my addiction to this board.

This morning I got up before six to go work out. Instead of just going to the gym I had to sit down at home and log onto the computer to check this board. I mean seriously, there was absolutely ZERO need for me to do that other than I can't stay away. It was not a good sign.