Thread: Fearmonger's: The internet is teeming with sexual predators looking to molest you!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Fearmonger's: The internet is teeming with sexual predators looking to molest you!

Since the internet is teeming with sexual predators on Myspace, Perverted Justice and other organizations decided to set up thousands of fake pages years back in order to "catch" these predators that are all over the place.

How many have they caught yet?

One.

This is a red herring, guys. Child molestation does not happen on the internet often. It happens in the home. Your friends and family.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Umm not quite true, I watched a show where a toen in FL set up a net child molestor sting and was having to schedule them to come by to be arrested.
    Not sure about the web site they used, but they had a good turnout.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

To Catch a Predator snags a bunch of them, supposedly.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Umm not quite true, I watched a show where a toen in FL set up a net child molestor sting and was having to schedule them to come by to be arrested.
    Not sure about the web site they used, but they had a good turnout.
    USCitizen, it is a fact that 93% of official child molestations are from friends and family. These are only the reported cases, and friend and family molesters are far less likely to be caught than "internet predators".

I really have no doubt that the sting you are specifically talking about was ethical, and I obviously don't oppose it. The stings made in the other thread I was talking about were made by a rather zealotic group who were using an unethical policing tactic known as "entrapment". The problem with this method is that it's ill targetted - you'll almost never get someone who was actually into molesting children. The local cops use much more ethical methods to crack down on internet predators. But still - it isn't something I would worry too much about.

However, it really isn't where most of the crime is happening. If you want to stop child molesters you must not simply give the appearance of progress - you have to take down the root issue. The fact is that there aren't many teens out there looking for 50 year old men on the net, and most child molesters realize this. This is why they go over to their friends house and, much more easily, molest his child. This also has far less risk to it.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    To Catch a Predator snags a bunch of them, supposedly.
    They "snagged" about 100 using really zealotic and unethical policing tactics. You should really read more about the private company that performs these stings - it isn't a pretty place. "To Catch a Predator", the show, obviously glosses over most of the unethical tactics they use.

However, whenever we're talking about sexual predators, there are probably several dozens of thousands who don't use the internet, compared to maybe one thousand or so that do.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Making a show about of it ? humph I did not really realize it was a comercial venture now.
    I guess next round we will select our president on a show like American Idle ?
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.