Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming denialists well-funded, create perception of "heated debate"

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Default Global Warming denialists well-funded, create perception of "heated debate"

This article nails it. First, they argued that the planet is not warming at all. Then, the earth is warming, but the cause is natural. Now, the earth is warming, but it won't be that significant, and who needs snow, anyway?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20122975/site/newsweek/

The fossil fuel industry finances a lot of the propoganda. And let's not forget Philip Cooney, who was appointed by Bush to the Council on Environmental Quality after being a lobbyist for the Petroleum industry, and resigned after it came out that he redacted sections of official reports tying man's activities to climate change. Oh, and then he went to work for Exxon/Mobil the next day.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of reading this (long piece) but i have to pull quote this out:

"Sununu's side won. The Rio treaty called for countries to voluntarily stabilize their greenhouse emissions by returning them to 1990 levels by 2000. (As it turned out, U.S. emissions in 2000 were 14 percent higher than in 1990.)"

Gosh, you mean voluntary compliance massively failed? That comes as a huge shock. I really thought the cons were onto something with their "voluntary compliance" for corporations, and was hoping that after corporate america showed what a success it was, we'd move to that voluntary system for civilian laws.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That was a great article, thanks for posting it.

What I always wonder about these people, the lobbyists and the politicians who take money to deny this, is, don't their children and grand children have to live in this world too? I wonder, how they justify it to themselves.

"All the Democratic presidential contenders have called global warming a real threat, and promise to push for cuts similar to those being passed by California and other states. In the GOP field, only McCain—long a leader on the issue—supports that policy. Fred Thompson belittles findings that human activities are changing the climate, and Rudy Giuliani backs the all-volunteer greenhouse curbs of (both) Presidents Bush."

Not surprising about Giuliani and Thompson, but what a shame about McCain with the war. I could have lived with some of the other things I disagree with him about, but he had to turn into a neocon. And he had some decent positions, like this one.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I'm in the middle of reading this (long piece) but i have to pull quote this out:

"Sununu's side won. The Rio treaty called for countries to voluntarily stabilize their greenhouse emissions by returning them to 1990 levels by 2000. (As it turned out, U.S. emissions in 2000 were 14 percent higher than in 1990.)"

Gosh, you mean voluntary compliance massively failed? That comes as a huge shock. I really thought the cons were onto something with their "voluntary compliance" for corporations, and was hoping that after corporate america showed what a success it was, we'd move to that voluntary system for civilian laws.
    Man, what a shocking letdown. I was really looking forward to that halcyon day when we'd evolve to "voluntary compliance" for property rights.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,317 Times in 9,825 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is yet another way elites are indexing "success" and "goodness" against a datastream they can control: "official atmospheric numbers". if they can pass legislation legitimizing this spurious relationship, they can effectively control the chemical processes allowed all citizens on earth by manipulation of their monopolistic datastream.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    Man, what a shocking letdown. I was really looking forward to that halcyon day when we'd evolve to "voluntary compliance" for property rights.
    And for stealing shoes!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,641 Times in 27,298 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    This article nails it. First, they argued that the planet is not warming at all. Then, the earth is warming, but the cause is natural. Now, the earth is warming, but it won't be that significant, and who needs snow, anyway?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20122975/site/newsweek/

The fossil fuel industry finances a lot of the propoganda. And let's not forget Philip Cooney, who was appointed by Bush to the Council on Environmental Quality after being a lobbyist for the Petroleum industry, and resigned after it came out that he redacted sections of official reports tying man's activities to climate change. Oh, and then he went to work for Exxon/Mobil the next day.
    First, they argued that the planet is not warming at all. Then, the earth is warming, but the cause is natural. Now, the earth is warming, but it won't be that significant, and who needs snow, anyway?

I easily remember cons lecturing me that there was no warming trend. It was just normal year to year variation, and anyway, the ground based temerature readings were wrong. The "urban island" effect, if you remember that tale.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    First, they argued that the planet is not warming at all. Then, the earth is warming, but the cause is natural. Now, the earth is warming, but it won't be that significant, and who needs snow, anyway?

I easily remember cons lecturing me that there was no warming trend. It was just normal year to year variation, and anyway, the ground based temerature readings were wrong. The "urban island" effect, if you remember that tale.
    I've seen a lot of people on message boards say things like 'it's 20 degrees here today where I live, and those stupid liberals think there is global warming". And that's in this article too. It'd be funny if the stakes weren't so high.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Most cannot see or comprehend the golbal view of climat and warming/cooling.
    I too have seen in pmany places, this winter sutre was cold therefore global warming is a myth.
    With global watrming climatiolgical patterns will change some areas will be cooler and some warmer. Some agricultural zones will no longer be able to be used, etc...
    Seal level is rising and some islands have already been flodded out in the Indian Ocean at least. Others are predicting being being awash in 10 years or so. I would not want ocean front property in FL now. Will they expect the govt to pay them for their land when it goes awash ?
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

"What I always wonder about these people, the lobbyists and the politicians who take money to deny this, is, don't their children and grand children have to live in this world too? I wonder, how they justify it to themselves."

I really don't get that. They either have an extraordinary ability to rationalize anything, or they have no conscience.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Most cannot see or comprehend the golbal view of climat and warming/cooling.
    I too have seen in pmany places, this winter sutre was cold therefore global warming is a myth.
    With global watrming climatiolgical patterns will change some areas will be cooler and some warmer. Some agricultural zones will no longer be able to be used, etc...
    Seal level is rising and some islands have already been flodded out in the Indian Ocean at least. Others are predicting being being awash in 10 years or so. I would not want ocean front property in FL now. Will they expect the govt to pay them for their land when it goes awash ?
    Of course they will. Some of the biggest conservatives I have known were the first ones on the dole.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"What I always wonder about these people, the lobbyists and the politicians who take money to deny this, is, don't their children and grand children have to live in this world too? I wonder, how they justify it to themselves."

I really don't get that. They either have an extraordinary ability to rationalize anything, or they have no conscience.
    That's true, and I think that the only ones who can know for certain which one it is, is the person themselves.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,641 Times in 27,298 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I can't believe bush fans were willing to spend a trillion dollars on iraq, on the remote chance that the secular dictator saddam might someday give nukes to an avowed enemy of his - islamic extremists.

But, they don't want to spend a dime to take mitigating measures to address the high scientific probability that climate change will have adverse global effects on us.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I can't believe bush fans were willing to spend a trillion dollars on iraq, on the remote chance that the secular dictator saddam might someday give nukes to an avowed enemy of his - islamic extremists.

But, they don't want to spend a dime to take mitigating measures to address the high scientific probability that climate change will have adverse global effects on us.
    Of course Global Warming is not going to rape our women and put us through shredders? Leave it to a leftie to come up with this kind of stupit arguement, which, I skewered with my posting skills. You lack a certain posting gravitas? Are you a man? I try to take it easy on the leftie ladies, butt, the men are fair game, as in, all is fair? LOL

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sweet, sweet trolling... LOL.

I believe that many of those who deny Global Warming believe that solutions will long become reality before the devastating effects cause serious consequences to the planet. They are likely the product of the "necessity breeds invention" type of thought.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle