Thread: Eric Holder formally complains to UK and refuses to take Theresa May's calls

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Eric Holder formally complains to UK and refuses to take Theresa May's calls

I am glad that somebody has the balls, ironic that it took a woman to do so, to finally stand up to US bullies. Ever since the grossly one sided 2003 extradition treaty was signed by Blair, the US has been using a treaty which was designed for terrorists to extradite many others accused of more sundry crimes. In the case of Gary McKinnon his greatest crime was to expose the lax security surrounding Pentagon and NASA computers. This follows on from the case of Christopher Tappin who was extradited over the shipping of £500 of batteries to Iran and is still awaiting trial in November.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ber-trial.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ays-calls.html
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 10-20-2012 at 04:25 PM.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am glad to see that everybody is in agreement!!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

I say let Mr. Tappin go, as that is a bullshit offense, but fry Mr. McKinnon. Successful hacking, while impressive, is not something that should be excused by "lessons learned." If he really wanted to be a helpful chap (which he did not want to be), he would have taken on a contractor job, and done it the honest way...

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Like Like View Post
    I say let Mr. Tappin go, as that is a bullshit offense, but fry Mr. McKinnon. Successful hacking, while impressive, is not something that should be excused by "lessons learned." If he really wanted to be a helpful chap (which he did not want to be), he would have taken on a contractor job, and done it the honest way...
    Garry McKinnon should be tried over here, not in the US as he will be made into a scapegoat. I do not consider humiliation and embarassment to be a good reason to extradite him. I will remind you of the huge numbers of hurdles that had to be overcome to extradite IRA suspects from the US in the past. The 2003 treaty signed by Blair was a hugely one sided treay that hopefully will now be reformed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...really-is.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Lowaicue (10-21-2012)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What crime, exactly, did he commit under UK law? Also, the crime is generally considered espionage. It doesn't really matter whether I take offense, am embarrassed/humiliated, or if I LMAO and think the guy's comic gold for what he did. It still concerns him accessing all sorts of classified information, and potentially having it exposed. Only tech geeks think getting hacked is "humiliating," because only they place value in being the best hacker on the interwebs. To everyone else, it's just fucking machinery...

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What crime, exactly, did he commit under UK law? Also, the crime is generally considered espionage. It doesn't really matter whether I take offense, am embarrassed/humiliated, or if I LMAO and think the guy's comic gold for what he did. It still concerns him accessing all sorts of classified information, and potentially having it exposed. Only tech geeks think getting hacked is "humiliating," because only they place value in being the best hacker on the interwebs. To everyone else, it's just fucking machinery...
    Isn't that exactly what the US said about IRA terrorists, what crime had they committed on US soil? These were people that maimed and killed innocent people yet none of that made any difference to the likes of Edward Kennedy.

Garry McKinnon was looking for evidence of UFOs which was why he targeted NASA and the Pentagon. He suffers from Asperger's Syndrome and is therefore not fit to stand in a US court even if there was a case against him. Apart from which we are fed up of being shafted by US admins down the years. The BP debacle is one such case where BP caught all the flak yet Halliburton, Transocean and Cameron International escaped all the bad press, mostly because of xenophobia and just plain ignorance of the facts.

I would also remind you that if the US wants to keep its secrets secret then they should have invested in some decent security, I'm sure that security companies all over the US were thanking Mckinnon for helping their sales after the event.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 10-21-2012 at 06:40 AM.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Uh, that's what extradition usually points toward. The IRA terrorists were not committing their acts here in the US, so the UK needed us to hand them over. In this case, you are saying, "oh, don't worry, we'll just try them for their crimes here in the UK." Duh, they didn't hack into your government's classified systems - they hacked into mine. The choice in extradition is to either provide sanctuary (as France does for certain film directors) or to hand the suspect over.

One sweet deal that Canada provides the US is that they oppose the death penalty so strongly that they refuse to extradite capital offenders to the US, so they get to keep our murderers. Congradulations on your shining new acquisition, eh!

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Uh, that's what extradition usually points toward. The IRA terrorists were not committing their acts here in the US, so the UK needed us to hand them over. In this case, you are saying, "oh, don't worry, we'll just try them for their crimes here in the UK." Duh, they didn't hack into your government's classified systems - they hacked into mine. The choice in extradition is to either provide sanctuary (as France does for certain film directors) or to hand the suspect over.

One sweet deal that Canada provides the US is that they oppose the death penalty so strongly that they refuse to extradite capital offenders to the US, so they get to keep our murderers. Congradulations on your shining new acquisition, eh!
    The US wouldn't hand the IRA suspects over because of political expediency and no other motive. If the IRA had done those crimes on US soil they would have been executed for them, we do not have capital punishment and they would likely have been released now under the Good Friday agreement. Yet they come over all high and mighty when they want somebody from over here, we are saying that the era of Blair brown nosing Bush is over.

Apart from any other consideration, Gary McKinnon has severe mental health issues and as such has been deemed to be in grave danger of commiting suicide in a max. security US jail.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 10-21-2012 at 07:16 AM.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,090 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Is he going to be tried over there?

Never mind, I checked a little further.
    Last edited by christiefan915; 10-21-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Used google

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Is he going to be tried over there?

Never mind, I checked a little further.
    He could be prosecuted in the UK if witnesses from the US were prepared to appear in a UK court. Prior to 2003, extradition was decided by the Home Secretary who could overrule any request.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/o...y-human-rights