Thread: Very Confusing

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Very Confusing

I think this is my first new thread. Be nice. There are links at site.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/018313.php

July 22, 2007
    What's Deteriorating?

The Associated Press reports on the capture of two weapons smugglers in Iraq, near the Iranian border:

U.S. troops on Sunday detained two suspected weapons smugglers who may be linked to Iran's elite Quds force, the military said, as Washington presses allegations that Tehran is supporting violence in Iraq despite plans for new bilateral talks on the issue.

The suspects and a number of weapons were seized during a raid on a rural farm compound in eastern Iraq, near the Iranian border, according to a military statement.

"The suspects may be associated with a network of terrorists that have been smuggling explosively formed projectiles (EFPs), other weapons, personnel and money from Iran into Iraq," the military said.
    This news takes up only a small portion of the AP's article, however. The report quickly transitions to the fact that the administration is now willing to hold bilateral talks on Iraq with Iran:

The announcement came days after Washington said it was ready to hold direct talks with Iran on the deteriorating security situation in Iraq amid U.S. allegations that Tehran is supporting violent Shiite militias in the country.
    But wait! The security situation in Iraq is not "deteriorating," it is improving, by any statistical measure. But the AP is committed to the view that the "surge" is already a failure, having been fully in place for about a month:

American commander Gen. David Petraeus must report to Congress on progress in Iraq by September 15, and the absence of legislative progress will cast a heavy cloud over any attempt to paint a positive picture as the war faces growing opposition in the U.S.

The infusion of about 30,000 more American forces, completed last month, was President Bush's attempt to calm the capital and provide "breathing space" to pass the legislation. But so far nothing of consequence has reached the floor of the parliament and violence has persisted.

The AP will, of course, do whatever it can to make sure that "any attempt to paint a positive picture of the war" fails, whether that positive picture is accurate or not.

The AP wants readers to think that the U.S. is approaching Iran because the security situation in Iraq is deteriorating. In fact, it is not the situation on the ground that is worsening, it is the political climate in the U.S. And for that fact, the AP itself bears a great deal of responsibility.
    Posted by John at 04:03 PM

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Runyon View Post
    I think this is my first new thread. Be nice. There are links at site.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/018313.php
    i don't think the proper word is "deteriorating". but rather, it has stagnated. with NO forward, or positive movement. In fact it seems to be getting worse, simply from non-action by the Iraqi powers.
    PRE-EMINENT BUSH BASHER and proud of it (no appologies)

An Italian Confusious Say: "He who throweth mud, losith ground"

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Are you a girl? Serious.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,713 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

”But wait! The security situation in Iraq is not "deteriorating," it is improving, by any statistical measure.”

Iraq Attacks hit New High in June

The average number of daily attacks in Iraq hit a new high in June, as the final US troop deployments for President George Bush's "surge" strategy arrived in the country.
    Attack statistics obtained by Reuters from the Defense Department showed a June average of 177.8 attacks per day on coalition and Iraqi forces, civilians and infrastructure.
    That surpassed a previous daily peak of 176.5 attacks in October 2006 and made June's daily total the highest since Bush declared major combat operations at an end in May 2003.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/1249374
    The Iraqi government has met none of the Benchmarks Bush set for them in January. And they’ve only made “satisfactory progress” towards even achieving about half (50%) of the benchmarks.

50% is a failing grade (F) in every school I went to. And after this dismal performance, the Iraqi parliament decided to take the month of August off, while our troops fight on.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Iraq had gotten so bad that that most anything would be an improvement.
    The people at least want electricity.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.