Thread: A new way to make lighter, stronger steel

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default A new way to make lighter, stronger steel

Who would have thought that there were any secrets left in steel production? What does Mott think?

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/flashsteel.htm

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,740 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

sounds like tempering steel to me.

Maybe its being rediscovered

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post

He has discovered a new way of treating steel, Mott may know more, it's his part of the world!

“Steel is what we would call a ‘mature technology.’ We’d like to think we know most everything about it,” he said. “If someone invented a way to strengthen the strongest steels even a few percent, that would be a big deal. But 7 percent? That’s huge.”

Yet, when inventor Gary Cola initially approached him, Babu didn’t know what to think. “The process that Gary described – it shouldn’t have worked,” he said. “I didn’t believe him. So he took my students and me to Detroit.” Cola showed them his proprietary lab setup at SFP Works, LLC., where rollers carried steel sheets through flames as hot as 1100 degrees Celsius and then into a cooling liquid bath. Though the typical temperature and length of time for hardening varies by industry, most steels are heat-treated at around 900 degrees Celsius for a few hours. Others are heated at similar temperatures for days. Cola’s entire process took less than 10 seconds.

He claimed that the resulting steel was 7 percent stronger than martensitic advanced high-strength steel. [Martensitic steel is so named because the internal microstructure is entirely composed of a crystal form called martensite.] Cola further claimed that his steel could be drawn – that is, thinned and lengthened – 30 percent more than martensitic steels without losing its enhanced strength.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    Who would have thought that there were any secrets left in steel production? What does Mott think?

I'm rather up to speed on that. There's quite a few alloys of steel now that have comparable weight to strength rations of Titanium while maintaining a signicantly higher Youngs modulus of elasticity (the property that makes steel good for springs).

I bought a bike this year hand crafted completely from Reynolds 853 steel tubing. Frame and fork weigh under 5 lbs. I have an 1980's era frame set made from what was then the best steel tubing for bikes Columbus SL tubing. That frame weighed 6.5 pounds. Not only is the Reynolds 853 frame significantly lighter, it's also significantly stronger and gives a wonderful ride quality compared to Aluminum and Carbon fiber.

My sister who works at Ford has also been telling me about new steel alloys used in uniframes that are 30% lighter than previous steel frame components while again being substantially stronger and safer to use than aluminum.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 10-16-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

that would be wonderful.

energy efficiency here we come

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He has discovered a new way of treating steel, Mott may know more, it's his part of the world!
    As for being my part of the world. I spent two and a half years working at OSU's material science & engineering department as a research assistant studying methods for recycling hazardous waste. I didn't make a whole lot of money but I had a hell of a lot of fun. Those guys do some fascinating work, that's for sure.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not really, tempering is a heat treatment process that reduces brittleness in steel and also makes it harder, that is, increasing its fracture toughness. This is a heat treatment process that increases both stregth and ductility (though it to would obviously improve hardness and reduce brittleness too). As the article stated the real advantage of this steel is that you can draw it out into thinner sheets or tubes with out losing strength and if the process is understood well enough you could use this approach to weld two pieces of steel together and actually increase the strength of the heat affected area (Reynolds 853 steel is a good example of this property).

This has substantial applications in industry becuase steel is so much stronger and has a far higher modulus of elasticity than other metals and structural materials and is much cheaper to manufacture. Steels biggest drawback is it's high density and it's susceptability to corrosion. By increasing steels strength you can mitigate it's high density by using less of it. In applications where light weight is important this would make this type of steel highly attractive due to steels other superior mechanical properties. For example, if you can make a steel structural element that is comparable in weight to the same component made out of aluminum it would be far superior to the aluminum component as it would be stronger, springier, would have greater impact resistance and does not suffer from fatigue failure like aluminum would. Aluminum would have an advantage in regards to corrosion but that would be about it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

/MSG/ (10-16-2012), Don Quixote (10-17-2012)

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

there are myths of acient sword smiths making blades with some of these qualities.

It was just a thought off the top of my head.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

there are myths of acient sword smiths making blades with some of these qualities.

It was just a thought off the top of my head.
    Those are not mythes. The ancient scandanavians probably made the best swords pre-modern technology. The Ufberht swords were significantly better than the Japanese Katana mainly because they figured out not only how to steel iron by adding carbon but also figured out how to temper them so as to allign steels dendritic crystalline structure making them significantly harder. They also were made with less slag impurities than the japanese Katana. That's probably due to the fact that Ufberht, like Damascus steel was crucible steel.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 10-16-2012 at 03:11 PM.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I'm rather up to speed on that. There's quite a few alloys of steel now that have comparable weight to strength rations of Titanium while maintaining a signicantly higher Youngs modulus of elasticity (the property that makes steel good for springs).

I bought a bike this year hand crafted completely from Reynolds 853 steel tubing. Frame and fork weigh under 5 lbs. I have an 1980's era frame set made from what was then the best steel tubing for bikes Columbus SL tubing. That frame weighed 6.5 pounds. Not only is the Reynolds 853 frame significantly lighter, it's also significantly stronger and gives a wonderful ride quality compared to Aluminum and Carbon fiber.

My sister who works at Ford has also been telling me about new steel alloys used in uniframes that are 30% lighter than previous steel frame components while again being substantially stronger and safer to use than aluminum.
    I had a 80's era bike with that awesome columbus tubing. That bike was magical. It had the shortest chain stays possible with 700c rims and climbed like you were riding a mountain goat

It's funny how a simple mention of some tubing brought back a flood of memories

thanks

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hank Reardon? Is that you?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

looks good to me, if this work can be expanded on, then even better
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Hank Reardon? Is that you?
    I don't know who that is??

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks