Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Conservatives say when they think no one is listening?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,165 Times in 27,015 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,974 Times in 2,691 Posts

Default What do Conservatives say when they think no one is listening?

A journalist goes undercover on a Republicans-only Ship Cruise to find out what conservatives are really saying to each other when they think no one else (aka, liberals, moderates, independents, and sane people) is listening:

At the beach:
    I am standing waist-deep in the Pacific Ocean, both chilling and burning, indulging in the polite chit-chat beloved by vacationing Americans:

-Hillary-Ann, a chatty, scatty 35-year-old Californian designer: “Of course, we need to execute some of these liberals. "A few of these prominent liberals who are trying to demoralise the country," she says. "Just take a couple of these anti-war people off to the gas chamber for treason to show, if you try to bring down America at a time of war, that's what you'll get." She squints at the sun and smiles. " Then things'll change."

-A sweet elderly lady from Los Angeles: “ Do you have a child back in England?" she asks. No, I say. Her face darkens. "You'd better start," she says. "The Muslims are breeding. Soon, they'll have the whole of Europe."
    -Cocktail hour on the Lido Deck:

I arrive to find a tableau from Gone With the Wind, washed in a thousand shades of grey. Southern belles – aged and pinched – are flirting with old conservative warriors. The etiquette here is different from anything I have ever seen. It takes me 15 minutes to realise what is wrong with this scene. There are no big hugs, no warm kisses. This is a place of starchy handshakes. Men approach each other with stiffened spines, puffed-out chests and crunching handshakes. Women are greeted with a single kiss on the cheek. Anything more would be French:

-I adjust and stiffly greet the first man I see. He is a judge, with the craggy self-important charm that slowly consumes any judge. He is from Canada, he declares (a little more apologetically), and is the founding president of "Canadians Against Suicide Bombing". Would there be many members of "Canadians for Suicide Bombing?" I ask. Dismayed, he suggests that yes, there would.
    Dinner Time on board:

To my left, I find a middle-aged Floridian with a neat beard. To my right are two elderly New Yorkers who look and sound like late-era Dorothy Parkers minus the alcohol poisoning.

-"You must live near the UN building," the Floridian says to one of the New York ladies after the entree is served. Yes, she responds, shaking her head wearily. "They should suicide-bomb that place,"

-Jimmy Carter is "almost a traitor". John McCain is "crazy" because of "all that torture". One of the Park Avenue ladies declares that she gets on her knees every day to " thank God for Fox News".

-A Filipino waiter offers the florida man a top-up of his wine, and he mock-whispers to me, "They all look the same! Can you tell them apart?"
    After dinner at the Vista Lounge:

The first of the trip's seminars is a discussion intended to exhume the conservative corpse and discover its cause of death on the black, black night of 7 November, 2006, when the treacherous Democrats took control of the US Congress.

There is something strange about this discussion, and it takes me a few moments to realise exactly what it is. All the tropes that conservatives usually deny in public – that Iraq is another Vietnam, that Bush is fighting a class war on behalf of the rich – are embraced on this shining ship in the middle of the ocean. Yes, they concede, we are fighting another Vietnam; and this time we won't let the weak-kneed liberals lose it:

-Robert Bork, Ronald Reagan's one-time nominee to the Supreme Court, mumbles from beneath low-hanging jowls: "The coverage of this war is unbelievable. Even Fox News is unbelievable. You'd think we're the only ones dying. Enemy casualties aren't covered. We're doing an excellent job killing them."

-Norman Podhoretz: “There were WMD, and they were shipped to Syria ... This picture of a country in total chaos with no security is false. It has been a triumph. It couldn't have gone better."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2766040.ece
    Last edited by Cypress; 07-15-2007 at 08:59 PM.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paranoia seems to be a major basis for Neocon party strength.
    And fear breeds hatred.....
    Soo sad...
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Jesus Christ...can this all be true, was my first thought. Then I thought about all of the vile morons I've seen on message boards and realized that yeah, it can be.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

When I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping for the opposite: that in privacy, they reveal how wrong they've been & how hard that has been to admit in public.

A lot of these people no longer reside in reality. They started to go around the bend during the Clinton years (Vince Foster comes to mind), but the insanity of voting for Bush twice & trying to keep up with every rationale that has been given for this war is too much for them.

It's a bummer that so many of our fellow Americans are mentally unstable...

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,165 Times in 27,015 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,974 Times in 2,691 Posts

I mean, I don't think we should be suprised. McCarthyism never really died in this country. It just flew under the radar, until the 1990s, and in particular post 9/11.

The Con ideology, IMO, has always largely been based on fear, paranoia, and yes - hate. Psychological studies confirm that a large portion of cons have authoritarian tendencies: do I need to mention Dixie, Toby, SR, SJJ, etc?

Substitute any boogeyman you want into the paranoia equation: communists, gays, liberals, muslims...its all essentially the same.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

You get exactly whatever I would say in Private on this board.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Jesus Christ...can this all be true, was my first thought. Then I thought about all of the vile morons I've seen on message boards and realized that yeah, it can be.
    From both sides, As for 'being overheard' we have the exclusiveness of Edwards and Clinton the other day, via open mic. Then there are ways we might talk amongst our friends over dinner. "I could kill Bush," while discussing the immigration fiasco, does NOT mean I would. Anymore than saying all 'libs' or 'neocons' are unamerican traitors is what one really believes. One wouldn't say it in public, for the simple reason that those that know us, understand what is meant and what is hyperbole or sarcasm.

This article is just an example of taking 'quotes' out of context, if that is really what happened. This thread is just another where some can display their superiority, many of whom have made some pretty vile comments about others on different threads.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,309 Times in 14,058 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Runyon View Post
    From both sides, As for 'being overheard' we have the exclusiveness of Edwards and Clinton the other day, via open mic. Then there are ways we might talk amongst our friends over dinner. "I could kill Bush," while discussing the immigration fiasco, does NOT mean I would. Anymore than saying all 'libs' or 'neocons' are unamerican traitors is what one really believes. One wouldn't say it in public, for the simple reason that those that know us, understand what is meant and what is hyperbole or sarcasm.

This article is just an example of taking 'quotes' out of context, if that is really what happened. This thread is just another where some can display their superiority, many of whom have made some pretty vile comments about others on different threads.
    That's pretty well said Runyon.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am like Damo, I say the worst I would say on here.
    Or the best, but that is difficult for me to do on a politis board
    Considering I think all politics pretty much sucks today and has overshadowed what this country is supposed to be about.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

"This thread is just another where some can display their superiority,"

I can't speak for everyone, but I AM superior to the average Bush supporter...

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,458 Times in 27,020 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,562 Times in 18,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

I myself have heard these kinds of comments first hand.

In many puplic situations I would not comment and would just let epople think they could say whatever they want and nod.

People then think you agree and will just keep going until you want to puke on them.

There are some really stupid people in this country who never really look into the issues deep enough to go beyond a Lush limpballs rant.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post

In many puplic situations I would not comment and would just let epople think they could say whatever they want and nod.

People then think you agree and will just keep going until you want to puke on them.

There are some really stupid people in this country who never really look into the issues deep enough to go beyond a Lush limpballs rant.
    As have I. In fact I have seen people wish the death of the President and say that everybody who voted for him should be executed on this board. Should I assume that they were serious and write an article taking the worst of the quotes and presenting them out of context and without relation to the character of the conversation?

To pretend to some sort of moral high ground on this issue from either Party can only come from what I call the "blinders effect". That some people can see no wrong with people who agree ideologically. Open mikes with people expressing how they could "kill Bush" notwithstanding, nobody can claim any high ground here. All I have to do is visit the DU site to realize that hackery abounds on either side.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    "This thread is just another where some can display their superiority,"

I can't speak for everyone, but I AM superior to the average Bush supporter...
    Ah but do you think you are superior to all who do not agree with you? How does that make you different than Rush?

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post

And like both you and Damo I've heard some outrageous things, I do say something. Both sides have turned to acting as if disagreeing with them defacto allows for smearing and questioning intelligence, patriotism, bravery, etc. It's a bunch of BS and it's no longer just the far ends, it's becoming 'everyman.'

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,458 Times in 27,020 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,562 Times in 18,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have heard very few things like you claim Damo.

I have heard turning the whole middle east into a sheet of glass many times.