View Poll Results: Should charitable deductions be eliminated?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate the deductions?

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Eliminate the deductions?

Are too many ‘charities’ political organizations masquerading as do-gooders?

Are churches serving as de facto political organizing arms for conservatives?

If someone gives money to a secular political group or union, they don’t get a tax deduction.

If people want to give money to these organizations, it’s their right to do so.

But the taxpayers shouldn’t have to subsidize those activities, should we?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am for a fair tax. I believe this would eliminate most deductions.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by \\((|))// View Post
    Are too many ‘charities’ political organizations masquerading as do-gooders?

Are churches serving as de facto political organizing arms for conservatives?

If someone gives money to a secular political group or union, they don’t get a tax deduction.

If people want to give money to these organizations, it’s their right to do so.

But the taxpayers shouldn’t have to subsidize those activities, should we?
    The deductions are there for the following reasoning.

The government gives money to charities it likes.
    This money is the peoples.
    Some people don't like certain charities.
    They feel they should be able to choose where their charity money goes.
    Therefore when they give money to charities of their choice, they don't want the government taking that money and giving it to charities they don't like.

If you remove deductions for donations to charity, remove all of them. If you don't like people taking deductions for money given to the church that's against abortion. Then don't expect a reduction for giving money to the organization that's pro gay marriage. I trust my judgement on where my charity money goes, far more than the government's judgement.
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

4. #4 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    remove all of them

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 86 Times in 85 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I am for a fair tax. I believe this would eliminate most deductions.
    The Fair tax Act removes all deductions, since it is a consumption tax.

6. #6 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

I wonder how many of the supposedly "religious" charitable givers would continue their largess if it didn't save them tax?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think there should still be deductions (if we maintain the current tax system) for donations to religious organizations. But I think there should be some oversight by the gov't into how much of the church's income is spent in charitable endeavors and how much in political campaigning, ect. Tax the churches on whatever they spend in political campaigning. That would quickly cure that issue.

8. #8 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I think there should still be deductions (if we maintain the current tax system) for donations to religious organizations. But I think there should be some oversight by the gov't into how much of the church's income is spent in charitable endeavors and how much in political campaigning, ect. Tax the churches on whatever they spend in political campaigning. That would quickly cure that issue.
    Can you explain why the government should forfeit tax revenues in order to fund religious organizations?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder how many of the supposedly "religious" charitable givers would continue their largess if it didn't save them tax?
    I don't know about others, but I don't claim any of our donations on our taxes.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can you explain why the government should forfeit tax revenues in order to fund religious organizations?
    If they provide a service that otherwise would be provided by government it would be worth it.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Classy.

It's a privilege to live in this nation and have the means to bless other in need.

Again, this is why Damo stands head and shoulders above what passes for 'conservative' in most situations, IMO.

12. #12 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

If they provide a service that otherwise would be provided by government it would be worth it.
    But is it justifiable constitutionally?

BTW, the government has an obligation to provide services on an equal basis. Can you guarantee the same impartiality for all charitable organizations?

Practically speaking, it seems we get more "bang for the buck" with government service providers.

Imagine giving a tax deduction to the Knights Templar if they waged our wars.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

For many of the charitable works of religious organizations, we get more bang for our buck thru religious organizations. Look at how much of the money actually gets to the people in need. For many religious groups, they provide staffing and other overhead from the general funds, so any specific donations will reach the needs in greater amounts.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nor do we.

15. #15 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    For many of the charitable works of religious organizations, we get more bang for our buck thru religious organizations. Look at how much of the money actually gets to the people in need. For many religious groups, they provide staffing and other overhead from the general funds, so any specific donations will reach the needs in greater amounts.
    Got any facts that support that opinion?