Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when My son was born I wanted him to be himself and make his own path in the world.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,727 Times in 27,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default when My son was born I wanted him to be himself and make his own path in the world.

I didnt want to harm the thread on the death of a friend but one thing keeps popping into my mind when I see that thread.

The nice young man losing his father said that when his son was born he wanted him to be a better version of himself.

I know the kid meant well with this insight but to me it is just wrong.

They are NOT you.

They are not supposed to be a better version of you.

They are here to be them and your job is to HELP them not be confused about who they are.

Help them be who they are.

Help them be the BEST them they can be.

Its not easy but its the only way to set them on a path to happy.

trying to force your child to be a little you is just wrong.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

CanceledB (09-07-2012), Rationalist (09-14-2012), Rune (09-09-2012), SpiritOf76 (09-07-2012)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Amen to that
    Don't be a mommas daddy's boy girl

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

But it will shape you anyway.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 86 Times in 85 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    I didnt want to harm the thread on the death of a friend but one thing keeps popping into my mind when I see that thread.

The nice young man losing his father said that when his son was born he wanted him to be a better version of himself.

They are NOT you.

They are here to be them and your job is to HELP them not be confused about who they are.

There are usually plenty of characteristics that are passed from father to son, whether by genetics or environment. I think that is what he meant. I never wanted my sons to be copies of me, but we share so many similar habits, mannerisms, likes and dislikes that it is easy to tell where they came from. I also see shades of my Dad in them.

They are definitally individuals. They are also my sons. Some of me inevitably rubbed off on them. Luckily, they have both avoided the mistakes I made in my youth.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

He's speaking from what he saw as a Truth rather than what "should be" according to Desh. You may not think it to be that way, but what he feels he told the truth about.

Anyway, your perspective is that of a mother, not of a father which is what the kid was talking about. The relationship from father to son is very different than that of mother to son.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Cancel 2016.2 (09-14-2012), Canceled.2014.1 (09-07-2012)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

the person also never said anything about "force" desh. you're putting words in his mouth. wanting and forcing are two very different things. i think it is completely natural for any parent to want their offspring, especially the same sex, to grow up like (note i did not say same) them. hence, why all (i don't any that don't) parent raise their children with their own values etc.

forcing your child to be something they do not want to be is not good in any situation. regardless if you want them to be like you or be like mike.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    The relationship from father to son is very different than that of mother to son.
    The dynamic of the relationship between father and son is different.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,727 Times in 27,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries

genetics are powerful.

I come from a family where I had 7 siblings.

Yes genetics determine much of who we are.

Inviroment also adds a whole hell of alot to any humans perspective.

Heres the key guys.

They need to KNOW that what comes from inside them as a completely seperate person from everyone standing next to them no matter how much all those people look and move like them is what makes them an indivdual.

I was not trying to insult the young man I was trying to clairify parenting.

the more the baby (I believe the child had just been born) looks like a clone of anther person the more they need to have stressed that they own their own life and what is inside them is them and that not expected to be someone else other than them.

I would always tell my son when we discussed things that he was free to deside what he believed and I could only tell him my perspective on the world and what I believed.

a Childs perception question:

What do we believe?

my son actually asked me that one once.

He wanted to know what religion we were.

He was in kindergarden.

I told him that I believed in sceince and that that was what I based my beliefs about understanding the world on.

He was elated with that one but I also told him that I could not deside what he believed and that only he could deside that.

I have told him that about every major discussion we had in our lives.

He knows if he came home to me and annouced he was a scientologist and had just registered as a republican that I would accept that and love him the same.

Its his life not mine.

I was just lucky enough to be his parent.

Oh Damo BTW how do you know a father and son relationship is different from a mother son one?

have you ever been a mother to a son so you can compare the two?

There are many men walking this earth who only had a mother.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

genetics are powerful.

I come from a family where I had 7 siblings.

Yes genetics determine much of who we are.

Inviroment also adds a whole hell of alot to any humans perspective.

Heres the key guys.

They need to KNOW that what comes from inside them as a completely seperate person from everyone standing next to them no matter how much all those people look and move like them is what makes them an indivdual.

I was not trying to insult the young man I was trying to clairify parenting.

the more the baby (I believe the child had just been born) looks like a clone of anther person the more they need to have stressed that they own their own life and what is inside them is them and that not expected to be someone else other than them.

I would always tell my son when we discussed things that he was free to deside what he believed and I could only tell him my perspective on the world and what I believed.

a Childs perception question:

What do we believe?

my son actually asked me that one once.

He wanted to know what religion we were.

He was in kindergarden.

I told him that I believed in sceince and that that was what I based my beliefs about understanding the world on.

He was elated with that one but I also told him that I could not deside what he believed and that only he could deside that.

I have told him that about every major discussion we had in our lives.

He knows if he came home to me and annouced he was a scientologist and had just registered as a republican that I would accept that and love him the same.

Its his life not mine.

I was just lucky enough to be his parent.

Oh Damo BTW how do you know a father and son relationship is different from a mother son one?

I can't answer for Damo, only for myself. But having had daughters and sons, I can say the dynamic is different.

I also think that wanting my sons to be better versions of me does not eliminate their individuality. I wanted my sons to carry on my sense of humor, my wonder atthe world, my love of the outdoors, my love of reading, and even my fanaticism concerning the Crimson Tide. I raised 3 biological kids that are very close in ages. They turned out to be very different individuals. But that also closely resemble me and my family traits.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Canceled.2014.1 For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (09-09-2012)

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

That some people have single-parent families doesn't change that the relationship with a father/son or mother/daughter is different than daughter/father and mother/son.

It doesn't take more than simply having a father and mother to know your relationship is much different between the two.

If you want to go deeper into it, you can take some psychology courses. It is very different, the things a daughter learns from the father is even different than things that sons learn (not talking simple reading, etc, such things as a girl's self-worth is attached to a relationship with the father..)

I will tell you, the words I most wanted to hear from my father were not the same as the words I most want to hear from my mother... and it is held up by those courses I suggested.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (09-14-2012)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

it brings a tear of gratitude to my eye knowing that no little boy will grow up to be like evince......

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I can't answer for Damo, only for myself. But having had daughters and sons, I can say the dynamic is different.

I also think that wanting my sons to be better versions of me does not eliminate their individuality. I wanted my sons to carry on my sense of humor, my wonder atthe world, my love of the outdoors, my love of reading, and even my fanaticism concerning the Crimson Tide. I raised 3 biological kids that are very close in ages. They turned out to be very different individuals. But that also closely resemble me and my family traits.
    Nobody is perfect, hopefully they saw the easy way to improve?
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

They are NOT you.

I totally agree...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Southern Tea For This Post:

evince (09-20-2012)

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Nobody is perfect, hopefully they saw the easy way to improve?
    Well none of them waste hours talking to fools in political forums, so that is a definite improvement.

All three are rabid Crimson Tide fans, so they obviously inherited my good taste.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts