Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gabby Douglas' Hair... Really people?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Default Gabby Douglas' Hair... Really people?

"I don't know where this is coming from. What's wrong with my hair? I'm like 'I just made history and people are focused on my hair?' It can be bald or short, it doesn't matter about my hair. Nothing is going to change. I'm going to wear my hair like this during beam and bar finals. You might as well just stop talking about it." - women's gymnastics all-around champion Gabby Douglas speaks out against her hair critics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, I don't see it. When I watch Gabby, I see a super-incredible gymnast. I didn't even notice her hair, and still don't see why her hair is such a controversy. It's not like Dennis Rodman hair! I guess she should dye it rainbow colors and kick the shit out of some cameramen and hurl a string of obscenities, and some people would like her more? I personally think the problem with Gabby's hair is, it's "Christian" hair. It's on top of a head that gives GOD all the credit and glory for her accomplishments. I think THAT is what they have a problem with.... Her God-loving Christian hair!

You go Gabby Douglas! You've set the world of gymnastics on it's ear, and accomplished greatness that will never be forgotten. Don't let the mean-spirited words of fools and bigots ruin this moment, you've worked hard to reach your goals, and that should be admired by everyone who isn't an idiot.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

gabby-douglas.jpg

Who looks at this and sees bad hair?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

It has nothing to do with God Dixie. Christ you Christians are always ready to jump up on that cross...as long as no actual nails are going to be used.

It's because women's bodies are public property, and it's because she's black. There's a whole thing about black women's hair. Fascinating stuff. You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. It's best to read what black women themselves have to say about it.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

blackascoal (08-10-2012), Haiku (08-10-2012)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    It has nothing to do with God Dixie. Christ you Christians are always ready to jump up on that cross...as long as no actual nails are going to be used.

It's because women's bodies are public property, and it's because she's black. There's a whole thing about black women's hair. Fascinating stuff. You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. It's best to read what black women themselves have to say about it.
    All I know is, the girl broke Olympic records and did things no Olympian has ever done, and gave all the glory to God publicly, and that's when comments started about her hair, and they've now moved on to her family life, etc. Now I think most people see a cute adorable black girl with hair in a ponytail like most gymnasts, and her accomplishments are what are amazing and fascinating. I am not Christian, Darla, I know I have pointed this out before, I am a Spiritualist. This isn't about MY personal faith, it's about the seculars and their attacks of anything "Christian." This is an embarrassing example, and you need to be shamed for it.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

It's because women's bodies are public property, and it's because she's black.

So deep deep down you're a sexist and a racist......maybe its those insecure black women themselves that are so freakin' hungup on wanting white womens hair that
    don't approve of Gabbies locks.....

"It's because women's bodies are public property" ?
    Its that kind of stupid whining that pisses regular people off.....We see hundreds of women every day and don't even notice them, literally look right through most of them

Then there is that one or two with their tits hanging out and half their ass showing, and when people look, they act offended....bullshit
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    All I know is, the girl broke Olympic records and did things no Olympian has ever done, and gave all the glory to God publicly, and that's when comments started about her hair, and they've now moved on to her family life, etc. Now I think most people see a cute adorable black girl with hair in a ponytail like most gymnasts, and her accomplishments are what are amazing and fascinating. I am not Christian, Darla, I know I have pointed this out before, I am a Spiritualist. This isn't about MY personal faith, it's about the seculars and their attacks of anything "Christian." This is an embarrassing example, and you need to be shamed for it.
    Nah, it's not about that at all. It's because she's a black woman. It's because she's a woman, and she's black. All women's bodies are public property to be commented on and criticized, and black women's bodies in an even more degrading manner, historically. Comments about black women's hair are always steeped in and informed by white beauty standards.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Haiku (08-10-2012)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nah, it's not about that at all. It's because she's a black woman. It's because she's a woman, and she's black. All women's bodies are public property to be commented on and criticized, and black women's bodies in an even more degrading manner, historically. Comments about black women's hair are always steeped in and informed by white beauty standards.
    I don't recall anyone questioning Serena Williams hair when she was setting records and winning championships.

You can have whatever racist sexist perception you like, this wasn't about her being black or female, it was about her being Christian.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

"I don't know where this is coming from. What's wrong with my hair? I'm like 'I just made history and people are focused on my hair?' It can be bald or short, it doesn't matter about my hair. Nothing is going to change. I'm going to wear my hair like this during beam and bar finals. You might as well just stop talking about it." - women's gymnastics all-around champion Gabby Douglas speaks out against her hair critics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, I don't see it. When I watch Gabby, I see a super-incredible gymnast. I didn't even notice her hair, and still don't see why her hair is such a controversy. It's not like Dennis Rodman hair! I guess she should dye it rainbow colors and kick the shit out of some cameramen and hurl a string of obscenities, and some people would like her more? I personally think the problem with Gabby's hair is, it's "Christian" hair. It's on top of a head that gives GOD all the credit and glory for her accomplishments. I think THAT is what they have a problem with.... Her God-loving Christian hair!

You go Gabby Douglas! You've set the world of gymnastics on it's ear, and accomplished greatness that will never be forgotten. Don't let the mean-spirited words of fools and bigots ruin this moment, you've worked hard to reach your goals, and that should be admired by everyone who isn't an idiot.
    With all due respect my friend, it's black hair. That's what they have a problem with.

"Christian" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I applaud your viewing her as a fine athlete, but if your intend to stand up for her, then stand up for HER. Don't just use her to support what you choose to believe.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (08-10-2012)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

It has nothing to do with her hair, it's her Christian beliefs they are attacking and using the littlest thing to attack her in a roundabout way.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't recall anyone questioning Serena Williams hair when she was setting records and winning championships.

You can have whatever racist sexist perception you like, this wasn't about her being black or female, it was about her being Christian.
    They not only talked about Serena's hair, they talked about her ass, her thighs, her arms, and just about everything else .. JUST as they talk about Michelle Obama .. which if memory serves .. YOU participated in.

It is however quite amusing listening to people from the all-white party desperately trying to brand those who are far closer to diversity then they will ever be as "racists". :0)

That's funny.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

ekg (08-10-2012), Haiku (08-10-2012), zappasguitar (08-10-2012)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RazorX View Post
    It has nothing to do with her hair, it's her Christian beliefs they are attacking and using the littlest thing to attack her in a roundabout way.
    Moronic

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 86 Times in 85 Posts

Look at the commentaries about the women athletes and compare them to the men. There are constant comments about the appearances of the women that simply do not happen with the male athletes. That she is black and her hair does not fit the "ideal" makes it even easier to critisize.

It is not about her faith, it is about women being forced to have a certain level of beauty regardless of their accomplishments.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Canceled.2014.1 For This Post:

Haiku (08-10-2012)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Look at the commentaries about the women athletes and compare them to the men. There are constant comments about the appearances of the women that simply do not happen with the male athletes. That she is black and her hair does not fit the "ideal" makes it even easier to critisize.

It is not about her faith, it is about women being forced to have a certain level of beauty regardless of their accomplishments.
    It's why black beauty pagents are still absolutely necessary in the US.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Haiku (08-10-2012)

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 284 Times in 257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RazorX View Post
    Sez the racist.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Look at the comments about CHRISTIAN athletes who don't mind expressing their love of God in public?

Gabrielle Douglas is NOT UGLY! She has a beautiful smile, and is obviously appealing enough to adorn a cereal box, so the argument doesn't fly.

No, what makes it "easy to criticize" is her FAITH! That makes it all okay to bash on her hair or her looks, or her family life, or whatever the hell you can think up, because you really don't like that she is a Christian and professes her faith in public. That's what you dislike, and it's hidden behind silly vain attempts to criticize superficial things. This woman deserves enormous accolades for what she has accomplished, and she shouldn't be attacked because she believes in God, by drumming up absolute SHIT about her hair or appearance.