Thread: As a black American, you'd be nuts not to be a republican

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Default As a black American, you'd be nuts not to be a republican

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rev-...-a-republican/

REV. C.L. BRYANT ON CONVERTING TO CONSERVATISM: ‘AS A BLACK AMERICAN, YOU’D BE NUTS NOT TO BE A REPUBLICAN’

The Rev. C.L. Bryant invigorated the crowd at FreePAC late last month when he encouraged thousands in the audience to “defend the republic,” while also tackling the enslavement that he believes comes along with government dependency. It is this latter message of freedom from the government’s shackles that Bryant has become known for in conservative circles, as the African American faith leader and orator is frequently called upon to drive home the importance of freedom and prosperity for all.

And though he is firmly planted on the right today, Bryant was once working and advocating on the left side of the aisle. In an exclusive interview with TheBlaze, Bryant discussed his path from the NAACP to the Tea Party, highlighting his professional and spiritual journey along the way.

BRYANT’S CAREER WITH THE NAACP

Bryant, both an activist and a religious leader, described having joined a Christian church at the age of five. By 22 he was a minister and he’s been an ordained Baptist pastor for the past 27 years, leading three churches throughout his career. Bryant also served as president of the Garland, Texas, NAACP chapter in the late 1980s.

Considering the political nature of the NAACP — and the fact that the group tends to embrace more liberal ideals — it’s surprising that the conservative leader was once in a key leadership position with the organization. Naturally, TheBlaze asked him to explain the experience.

Having grown up in the segregated South, Bryant spoke about some of the challenges he faced growing up.

“I remember ‘Negro Day’ at the fair and that was the one day in the fair that [blacks] could go. I grew up in that type of environment,” he explained, going on to joke, “It always seemed that white folks controlled the weather because it always rained that day!”

These life experiences led to a “natural progression” into NAACP leadership. But success leading the civil rights chapter didn’t last for long. After a celebrated presidency within the group, the tides began to turn.

“I came to a conclusion that they not only wanted to control my agenda — they also wanted to control me,” he explained.

After he declined an invitation to speak at a pro-choice rally based on his personal views on abortion, his problems with the NAACP began. As a result of this principled stance, Bryant said that his “star that was rising began to wane.”

While he inevitably left his leadership role with NAACP, he said that, looking back on the experience, it was a good opportunity that gave him “a unique view of both sides of the aisle.” It was after this stint with the liberal group that Bryant had an epiphany — one that has, for the past 19 years — solidified his standing as a conservative.

HOW BRYANT CONVERTED TO CONSERVATISM

After leaving the NAACP, Bryant moved to Tampa, Florida, with his wife. One day, he recalls listening to the radio in an effort to find Jim Hightower, a liberal commentator he enjoyed listening to. But, rather than finding the show he had come to know and love, he stumbled upon something very different.

“I was flipping through the AM stations and I came across a guy by the name of Rush,” Bryant said, referring to popular radio host Rush Limbaugh. “The more I listened to this guy, Rush — there was something that he was saying that rang true to me.”

From there, the transformation began and Bryant recognized that many leftist policies and ideals create a mindset of victimization among African Americans and others. The path to becoming a conservative, though, hasn’t always been easy. When he joined the Tea Party back in 2009, Bryant, who was pastoring a church at the time, caught the ire of leaders there.

While tensions rose, it wasn’t until 2010, when he began pondering an idea for a film he had been dreaming up (inevitably, this project was produced and released as “Runaway Slave,” a new documentary that tackles the issues of race and dependency). The church was initially willing to forgive his mere conservative opinions, but the film project seemed to tip the scales.

“[Church leaders] came to me and they told me, ‘Pastor, we want you to go back to being the guy that you were when you came here nine years ago,” he explained.

Naturally, that was an impossibility; the conversion was complete. Bryant’s message about Obama — that despite being the same color as African Americans, he didn’t necessarily hold the same values — fell flat with many in his congregation. Inevitably, he left the house of worship and claims that, looking back, “The Lord has opened doors that I would not have seen.”

WHY AFRICAN AMERICANS AVOID THE GOP

Considering the personal and professional issues Bryant has encountered in the African American community, TheBlaze asked him to explain why so many minorities seem turned off by the Republican Party.

“It’s not really that they’re turned off to it – it’s that the progressive iberals have done such a darn good job of using the black pulpit and saturating back minds that the words ‘Republican’ and ‘conservative’ are words that they [have been taught to] fear,” he explained, going on to admit that conservatives also haven’t been successful at reaching blacks en masse.

But despite this failure, the faith leader has no doubt which party is better for the well-being of African Americans.

“To be anything else but a Republican in this country as a black person – you must be out of your mind. It has been the Democrats who have stood in the way of progress,” Bryant added. “If you…seek out what you should do for yourself, you’ll find that as a black American, you’d be nuts not to be a Republican.”

Bryant maintains that the left is hijacking the black pulpit to reinforce its policies and messages among African Americans. In order to “protect” their ideas, liberals, he claims, need blacks to stay on board with their platform. So far, they’ve been successful, as the vast majority (nearly 100 percent) of African Americans voted for President Obama.

“Ninety-five percent of any group voting [for a party] is madness,” he said, admitting that this dynamic is still going on.

But, he hasn’t lost hope.

“There’s something about America. Once you secure freedom for yourself, it’s more precious than any gold…any treasure you could have,” he proclaimed.

BRYANT’S VIEWS ON CURRENT & PAST CIVIL RIGHTS LEADERS

As can be imagined, there aren’t too many favorable accolades that Bryant would offer civil rights leaders like the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton. In fact, he believes these men to be opportunists of sorts who have done more negative than good for the African American community.

“They have been made wealthy men by feeding on the carcasses of entrapment and slave mentalities,” he charged. “They have a job to do and their job — much like the overseer back in the time in physical slavery in this country — was to drive the slave to the cotton fields to pick cotton. The job of the overseer today is every two years to make sure that the salve gets to the polls so his votes can get picked.”

These were tough words and a complex and controversial analogy, to say the least. But this perfectly illustrates what the faith leader believes is the problem with modern-day leaders like Jackson and Sharpton. Both men, he believes, are helping to “keep a racially-divided population.”

“Progressives are the slave masters of your Sharptons and Jacksons,” he continued. “They have to hold the line that their liberal masters tell them to hold.”

As for the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., one of the nation’s greatest freedom fighters, Bryant believes that modern-day civil rights leaders are going against what King taught. The famed leader wanted men to be judged “by the content of character rather than content of skin,” Bryant proclaims. This, alone, would presumably debunk many of the ideals that Sharpton and Jackson tout.

Bryant’s most recent project, the aforementioned film “Runaway Slave,” tackles race in America, politics and black conservatism — many of the same subjects and values that the faith leader discussed in his interview with TheBlaze.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 86 Times in 85 Posts

As an American (regardless of color), you'd be nuts to vote for either of the two major parties. They have done nothing but perpetuate the problems that plague us. Both parties have worked hard to promote their own agenda of power rather than fulfilling the promises they made to the people of the United States.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canceled.2014.1 For This Post:

blackascoal (08-10-2012), Liberty (08-10-2012)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    As an American (regardless of color), you'd be nuts to vote for either of the two major parties. They have done nothing but perpetuate the problems that plague us. Both parties have worked hard to promote their own agenda of power rather than fulfilling the promises they made to the people of the United States.
    You are correct. BUT you can't change things from the outside. You still need to vote for the lesser of two evils and try to find people who share your views there. Shouting at the wind is only likely to give you a sore throat.
    Every time I see anything written by an American who calls himself the reverend I turn off.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (08-10-2012)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    You are correct. BUT you can't change things from the outside. You still need to vote for the lesser of two evils and try to find people who share your views there. Shouting at the wind is only likely to give you a sore throat.
    Every time I see anything written by an American who calls himself the reverend I turn off.
    I disagree. I think we should always vote for the candidate that we think will best serve the nation. I believe that is best done by voting for a third party candidate. And seek out people who share my views and convince them to vote outside the two main parties as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Canceled.2014.1 For This Post:

blackascoal (08-10-2012)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I disagree. I think we should always vote for the candidate that we think will best serve the nation. I believe that is best done by voting for a third party candidate. And seek out people who share my views and convince them to vote outside the two main parties as well.
    And how often has your guy been elected? Better yet, what did your guy accomplish in changing anything politically? If the answer is NOTHING, then that is what it's been worth for you to adopt this approach. It's fine to stand for what you believe in, but if standing for it means absolutely ZERO, that's what you stood for. To put it quite succinctly, you stand for a fantasy, not much different from Liberals who believe in the mythical big pile of money. You believe in a reality that does not exist, and you're bound and determined to go down swinging for this belief. Do you know what that makes you? A fool!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dixie - In Memoriam For This Post:

10. #6 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

So Blacks should vote for the party that harbors the likes of Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Haley Barbour, etc.?

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    And how often has your guy been elected? Better yet, what did your guy accomplish in changing anything politically? If the answer is NOTHING, then that is what it's been worth for you to adopt this approach. It's fine to stand for what you believe in, but if standing for it means absolutely ZERO, that's what you stood for. To put it quite succinctly, you stand for a fantasy, not much different from Liberals who believe in the mythical big pile of money. You believe in a reality that does not exist, and you're bound and determined to go down swinging for this belief. Do you know what that makes you? A fool!
    Dixie, that post is an example of what goes wrong on a discussion forum like this...and we are ALL guilty. You start by stating a good argument. Calm, reasonably sensible and then you lose it with 'Do you know what that makes you? A fool!
    It means that the next person must respond with, 'No you are and idiot', then you'll come back with another insult. I knowwe all do it, but dont you think we should stop it?

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Dixie, that post is an example of what goes wrong on a discussion forum like this...and we are ALL guilty. You start by stating a good argument. Calm, reasonably sensible and then you lose it with 'Do you know what that makes you? A fool!
    It means that the next person must respond with, 'No you are and idiot', then you'll come back with another insult. I knowwe all do it, but dont you think we should stop it?
    Sorry if the truth hurts your feelings, I stand by what I said. If you believe in a reality that doesn't exist, and in stubborn defiance, refuse to accept the futility of never realizing the fantasy you've created, you are a fool. There's just not another more appropriate word to describe you. Sorry!

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sorry if the truth hurts your feelings, I stand by what I said. If you believe in a reality that doesn't exist, and in stubborn defiance, refuse to accept the futility of never realizing the fantasy you've created, you are a fool. There's just not another more appropriate word to describe you. Sorry!
    Oh well, I extended the hand... can't do much more than that. Enjoy your day.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh well, I extended the hand... can't do much more than that. Enjoy your day.
    No you didn't extend any hand, you criticized me for making an objective evaluation on foolishness. You think I enjoy calling WB a fool? I hate having to call him one! He's a fellow Alabama fan, he can't be all bad. But whenever you believe in something that isn't reality and can't happen, and you think it can make some difference or mean something, if you only keep believing... that is just foolish. There is not another word I know to describe it. Can you suggest a better one?

We will elect one of two men president in November. Obama or Romney. PERIOD! End of argument! No need to hash things out any further, one of those two men will be elected president. THAT is reality! That is what we have to accept as reality! Believing that we can somehow change the course of events, or make some event happen that isn't going to happen, is fantasy. It's living in a dream world that doesn't exist. All it means is one less serious vote. Wise or Foolish?

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

No you didn't extend any hand, you criticized me for making an objective evaluation on foolishness. You think I enjoy calling WB a fool? I hate having to call him one! He's a fellow Alabama fan, he can't be all bad. But whenever you believe in something that isn't reality and can't happen, and you think it can make some difference or mean something, if you only keep believing... that is just foolish. There is not another word I know to describe it. Can you suggest a better one?

We will elect one of two men president in November. Obama or Romney. PERIOD! End of argument! No need to hash things out any further, one of those two men will be elected president. THAT is reality! That is what we have to accept as reality! Believing that we can somehow change the course of events, or make some event happen that isn't going to happen, is fantasy. It's living in a dream world that doesn't exist. All it means is one less serious vote. Wise or Foolish?
    I actually agree with Dixie on this.

I better make an appointment for a C.A.T. scan.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Dixie - In Memoriam (08-10-2012), Mott the Hoople (08-10-2012)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I choose to cast my vote for what is right rather than perpetuate this nonsense. How often has my guy been elected? Not a single time, YET.

What have I accomplished? I have voted for what I think is right and what is best. I have done my part to try and cure an ill and solve a problem? What has your vote done? You got someone elected. Congrats. You obviously think this is about being on the winning side rather than being on the side of what is right. You helped create this mess. Your candidate (regardless of which side of the aisle) has created our huge debt, sent soldiers to die for no reason, and helped create poverty and despair. You must be so proud.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

POST OF THE YEAR
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Every time you vote for the non-existent "lesser pf two evils" the American politcal spectrum shifts to the right.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

NOVA (08-10-2012)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    POST OF THE YEAR
    Wow, thanks, BAC.