Thread: Sally Ride

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Sally Ride

“The women’s movement had already paved the way, I think, for my coming,” she said.

Very interesting to see what kind of questions were asked of this brilliant pioneering woman in 1982. Which btw, was 32 years after 1950.

Speaking to reporters before the first shuttle flight, Dr. Ride — chosen in part because she was known for keeping her cool under stress — politely endured a barrage of questions focused on her sex: Would spaceflight affect her reproductive organs? Did she plan to have children? Would she wear a bra or makeup in space? Did she cry on the job? How would she deal with menstruation in space?

The CBS News reporter Diane Sawyer asked her to demonstrate a newly installed privacy curtain around the shuttle’s toilet. On “The Tonight Show,” Johnny Carson joked that the shuttle flight would be delayed because Dr. Ride had to find a purse to match her shoes.

Thanks for being here Sally. Sorry about the assholes. Hope you had a smooth ride.

American Woman Who Shattered Space Ceiling
    By DENISE GRADY

Sally Ride, the first American woman to fly in space, died on Monday at her home in San Diego. She was 61.

The cause was pancreatic cancer, her company, Sally Ride Science, announced on its Web site.

Dr. Ride, a physicist who was accepted into the space program in 1978 after she answered a newspaper ad for astronauts, flew on the shuttle Challenger on June 18, 1983, and on a second mission in 1984. At 32, she was also the youngest American in space.

She later became the only person to sit on both panels investigating the catastrophic shuttle accidents that killed all astronauts on board — the Challenger explosion in 1986 and the Columbia crash in 2003.

Dr. Ride was finishing studies at Stanford University — she had degrees in physics and astrophysics (and also English) — and looking for a job when she saw NASA’s advertisement. She looked at the qualifications and said, “I’m one of those people,” she told The New York Times in 1982.

She applied, and made the cut.

“The women’s movement had already paved the way, I think, for my coming,” she said.

By the time she began studying laser physics at Stanford, women had already broken through into the physics department, once a boys’ club. And when she applied to the space program, NASA had already made a commitment to admit women.

But there were still rough spots. Speaking to reporters before the first shuttle flight, Dr. Ride — chosen in part because she was known for keeping her cool under stress — politely endured a barrage of questions focused on her sex: Would spaceflight affect her reproductive organs? Did she plan to have children? Would she wear a bra or makeup in space? Did she cry on the job? How would she deal with menstruation in space?

The CBS News reporter Diane Sawyer asked her to demonstrate a newly installed privacy curtain around the shuttle’s toilet. On “The Tonight Show,” Johnny Carson joked that the shuttle flight would be delayed because Dr. Ride had to find a purse to match her shoes.

At a NASA news conference, Dr. Ride said: “It’s too bad this is such a big deal. It’s too bad our society isn’t further along.”

The Soviets had already sent two women into space. When one came aboard a space station, a male cosmonaut welcomed her by saying the kitchen and an apron were all ready for her.

In her early days at NASA, Dr. Ride trained in parachute jumping, water survival, weightlessness and the huge G-forces of a rocket launch. She learned to fly a jet plane. She also switched from physics to engineering and helped in the development of a robotic arm for the space shuttle. The Challenger commander, Robert L. Crippen, chose her for the 1983 mission in part because of her expertise with the device. She was part of a crew of five that spent about six days in space, during which she used the arm to deploy and retrieve a satellite.

At Cape Canaveral, many in the crowd of 250,000 that watched the launching wore T-shirts that said, “Ride, Sally Ride” — from the lyrics of the song “Mustang Sally.”

The next day, Gloria Steinem, editor of Ms. magazine at the time, said, “Millions of little girls are going to sit by their television sets and see they can be astronauts, heroes, explorers and scientists.”

When the shuttle landed, Dr. Ride told reporters, “I’m sure it was the most fun that I’ll ever have in my life.”

Her next mission, in 1984, lasted about eight days. She was on the roster for another shuttle flight before the Challenger blew up on Jan. 28, 1986, 73 seconds after taking off from Cape Canaveral. But the program was immediately suspended, and she retired the next year.

As a member of the panel appointed by President Ronald Reagan to investigate the accident, Ms. Ride gained a reputation for asking tough questions. The panel learned from testimony and other evidence that there had been signs of trouble on earlier Challenger flights, but that they had been dismissed as not critical. Dr. Ride told a colleague it was difficult not to be angered by the findings.

One witness was Roger Boisjoly, an engineer who had worked for the company that made the shuttle’s rocket boosters and who had been shunned by colleagues for revealing that he had warned his bosses and NASA that the boosters’ seals, called O-rings, could fail in cold weather. The Challenger had taken off on a cold morning.

After his testimony, Dr. Ride, who was known to be reserved and reticent, publicly hugged him. She was the only panelist to offer him support. Mr. Boisjoly, who died in February, said her gesture had helped sustain him during a troubled time.

In 2003, after sitting on a shuttle-disaster panel for the second time, Dr. Ride said in an interview with The Times that part of the problem at NASA was that people had forgotten some of the lessons learned from the Challenger accident. The panel had months earlier expressed its conviction that the disintegration of the shuttle Columbia over Texas was triggered when a chunk of foam insulation fell off the external fuel tank and gashed the leading edge of the wing.

But she also said: “I flew the shuttle twice. It got me home twice. I like the shuttle.”

In 1987, Dr. Ride led a study team that wrote a report advising NASA on the future direction of the space program. The team recommended an outpost on the Moon, though not a “race to Mars.” But Mars should still be the “ultimate objective,” the group said. In the report, Dr. Ride wrote that a lunar outpost would combine “adventure, science, technology and perhaps the seeds of enterprise.” She also noted darkly that the United States had “lost leadership” to the Soviet Union in a number of aspects of space exploration.

The same year, Dr. Ride retired from NASA and became a science fellow at the Center for International Security and Arms Control at Stanford. In 1989, she became a professor of physics and director of the California Space Institute at the University of California, San Diego.

She also developed a passion for trying to interest young people, especially girls, in science, math and technology. She wrote six science books for children, including one that explained how to make a sandwich in space. (She advised eating it fast, before it floated away.)

In 2001 she started a company, Sally Ride Science, to “make science and engineering cool again,” as she put it, by providing science-oriented school programs, materials and teacher training.

Dr. Ride was known for guarding her privacy. She rejected most offers for product endorsements, memoirs and movies, and her reticence lasted to the end. At her request, NASA kept her illness secret.

In 1983, writing in The Washington Post, Susan Okie, a journalist and longtime friend, described Dr. Ride as elusive and enigmatic, protective of her emotions.

“During college and graduate school,” Dr. Okie wrote, “I had to interrogate her to find out what was happening in her personal life.”

Dr. Okie quoted Dr. Ride’s younger sister, the Rev. Karen Scott, a Presbyterian minister, as saying, “ ‘Closeness’ is not a word that is often used to describe relationships in our family.” Dr. Ride always needed to be in control, her mother told Dr. Okie.

In a statement on Monday afternoon, President Obama said Dr. Ride had been “a national hero and a powerful role model.”

“She inspired generations of young girls to reach for the stars and later fought tirelessly to help them get there by advocating for a greater focus on science and math in our schools,” he said. “Sally’s life showed us that there are no limits to what we can achieve.”

Sally Kristen Ride was born on May 26, 1951, in Encino, part of Los Angeles. Her father was a political science professor at Santa Monica College, and her mother worked as a volunteer counselor at women’s correctional facility. Both parents were elders in the Presbyterian Church.

From an early age, Dr. Ride gravitated toward math and science. She was strong-willed and athletic, and became so obsessed with playing football in the street that her parents pushed her into tennis lessons because it was a safer sport. She was soon playing in tournaments.

Dr. Ride attended Westlake High School, a girls’ prep school in Beverly Hills. Dr. Okie was her schoolmate, and wrote that she and Dr. Ride, both on scholarship, felt out of place among the actors’ daughters and “Bel Air belles” at the school. Dr. Ride did not have to work hard for good grades, called herself an underachiever and refused to feign interest if she was bored in class. But it was at Westlake that Dr. Ride found a mentor and friend in Elizabeth Mommaerts, a science teacher whom she described as “logic personified.” A great enthusiast for research, Dr. Mommaerts invited her favorite students, Dr. Ride among them, to her home to sample French food and wine and to hear stories about her life in Europe.

(Later, in graduate school, Dr. Ride was devastated to learn that Dr. Mommaerts had committed suicide. When she was chosen to be an astronaut, the one person she wanted most to call was Dr. Mommaerts, she told Dr. Okie. “And I can’t,” she said.)

After graduating from high school in 1968, Dr. Ride attended Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania but quit after three semesters. She was homesick for California and was considering a career in tennis. She practiced for several hours a day, and also began taking physics courses at the University of California, Los Angeles. In 1970, she enrolled at Stanford as a junior. She played tennis for Stanford, became the team’s No. 1 women’s singles player and was nationally ranked. She taught at summer tennis camps, and at one of them she met Billie Jean King, who urged her to quit college and become a professional tennis player. She did not take that advice.

Years later, when a child asked her what made her decide to be a scientist instead of a tennis player, she laughed and said, “A bad forehand.”

She received bachelor’s degrees in physics and English in 1973 (her specialty was Shakespeare), a master’s degree in physics in 1975 and a Ph.D. in astrophysics in 1978, all from Stanford. Her graduate work involved X-ray astronomy and free-electron lasers.

In 2003, Dr. Ride told The Times that stereotypes still persisted about girls and science and math — for example the idea that girls had less ability or interest in those subjects, or would be unpopular if they excelled in them. She thought peer pressure, especially in middle school, began driving girls away from the sciences, so she continued to set up science programs all over the country meant to appeal to girls — science festivals, science camps, science clubs — to help them find mentors, role models and one another.

“It’s no secret that I’ve been reluctant to use my name for things,” she said. “I haven’t written my memoirs or let the television movie be made about my life. But this is something I’m very willing to put my name behind.”

Dr. Ride married a fellow astronaut, Steven Hawley, in 1982. They decorated their master bedroom with a large photograph of astronauts on the moon. They divorced in 1987. Dr. Ride is survived by her partner of 27 years, Tam O’Shaughnessy; her mother, Joyce; and her sister, Ms. Scott, who is known as Bear. (Dr. O’Shaughnessy is chief operating officer of Dr. Ride’s company.)

Dr. Ride told interviewers that what drove her was not the desire to become famous or to make history as the first woman in space. All she wanted to do was fly, she said, to soar into space, float around weightless inside the shuttle, look out at the heavens and gaze back at Earth. In photographs of her afloat in the spaceship, she was grinning, as if she had at long last reached the place she was meant to be.

Full Story
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

blackascoal (07-24-2012), evince (07-25-2012), Haiku (07-24-2012), Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep, the only reason she went into space was because of Betty Friedan, despite the fact that Valentina Tereshkova went into space in 1963 the same year The Feminine Mystique was published. There is also some evidence to suggest that a woman called Ludmilla Serakovna went into space in 1961 but died on reentry, it could just be a hoax though.

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-24-2012 at 12:47 PM.

4. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    Yep, the only reason she went into space was because of Betty Friedman, despite the fact that Valentina Tereshkova went into space in 1963 the same year The Feminine Mystique was published.
    And of course, no one had ever heard of the women's movement in 1963. You really are a moron Tom. No doubt you would have been like the Russian asshole in the article who greated one of the first woman in space with an apron and telling her where the kitchen was. Which you might have noticed if you had bothered to read it. But that's right, you already know everything. Two inches of knowledge.

Doctor Ride knew what the women's movement had done for her. I don't suppose it's all that important what the Cliff Clavin of message boards thinks about that. To anyone other than himself.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    And of course, no one had ever heard of the women's movement in 1963. You really are a moron Tom. No doubt you would have been like the Russian asshole in the article who greated one of the first woman in space with an apron and telling her where the kitchen was. Which you might have noticed if you had bothered to read it. But that's right, you already know everything. Two inches of knowledge.

Doctor Ride knew what the women's movement had done for her. I don't suppose it's all that important what the Cliff Clavin of message boards thinks about that. To anyone other than himself.
    So that makes you Carla Tortelli then? As for the story of the apron, I have heard that before and I think it's either apocryphal or a joke. I love the way you call me a moron when it is you that is trying to rewrite history, maybe you are part Russian?
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-24-2012 at 05:26 AM.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So that makes you Carla Tortelli then? As for the story of the apron, I have heard that before and I think it's either apocryphal or a joke.
    I look exactly like her! So why not? She's a fuck of a lot smarter than Cliffie.

Who cares what you think ? A joke. Aren't they all.

9. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2016.11 For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-24-2012)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I look exactly like her! So why not? She's a fuck of a lot smarter than Cliffie.

Who cares what you think ?
    My God, I thought it wouldn't be long before Simone de Beauvoir would be mentioned. Holy shit, just because you've studied that at your wimmin's group you think it gives some special insight. Satre was a pygmy both mentally and physically and Beavoir was a peadophile, if she was around today you would be screaming for her guts for procuring under age girls for them to molest and rape!!

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My God, I thought it wouldn't be long before Simone de Beauvoir would be mentioned. Holy shit, just because you've studied that at your wimmin's group you think it gives some special insight. Satre was a pygmy both mentally and physically and Beavoir was a peadophile, if she was around today you would be screaming for her guts for procuring under age girls for Satre to screw!!
    I studied at a University, Cliffie. Not a knitting circle. They allow us into the universities now. In fact, more women are graduating now than men. But I bet that's one thing you do know. Guys like you get real insecure over that.

And I took that out so I could write a longer post about The Second Sex later today. Which I will do.

In the meantime Clavin you shout and rant "get off my lawn you feminists!" at any woman who comes by. I always enjoy exposing another one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I studied at a University, Cliffie. Not a knitting circle. They allow us into the universities now. In fact, more women are graduating now than men. But I bet that's one thing you do know. Guys like you get real insecure over that.

And I took that out so I could write a longer post about The Second Sex later today. Which I will do.

In the meantime Clavin you shout and rant "get off my lawn you feminists!" at any woman who comes by. I always enjoy exposing another one.
    I often think you were born 30 years too late!! I wonder if you will be digging out your Cliff (Clavin) Notes on the Second Sex?

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-24-2012 at 06:08 AM.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Ride Sally Ride!

You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

1982 "feminists paved the way", they did beginning in the 60's -once we got past the locked in roles for women in the 50's.
    The 60's /70's were the arrival of the feminists

/Jane Fonda and POWs: Yes, she went to North Vietnam and denounced the United States presence in Vietnam - but no, she didn't directly turn in POWs and cause their deaths.

The Ladies' Home Journal sit-in brought attention to feminists' complaints about women's magazines. Read about how feminists protested at the Ladies' Home Journal Sit-In.

Bra Burning Feminists of the Sixties
    Feminists in the 1960s burned their bras -

National Organization for Women
    A profile of the National Organization for Women, founded in 1966 to work for women's equality.

President's Commission on the Status of Women
    A history of the President's Commission on the Status of Women, 1961-1963, and its lasting effects.
    Sisters of 77
    Preview of a video about the 1977 NOW conference at the peak of the women's movement..
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

Cold War 2.0 Russia hysteria is turning people’s brains into guacamole.
    We’ve got to find a way to snap out of the propaganda trance
    ________

Buddha: "trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it "
    1.2.3.4.5.6.7. All Good Children Go to Heaven

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I often think you were born 30 years too late!! I wonder if you will be digging out your Cliff (Clavin) Notes on the Second Sex?

Stick with cartoons Cliff. That's your intellectual depth alright.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My God, I thought it wouldn't be long before Simone de Beauvoir would be mentioned. Holy shit, just because you've studied that at your wimmin's group you think it gives some special insight. Satre was a pygmy both mentally and physically and Beavoir was a peadophile, if she was around today you would be screaming for her guts for procuring under age girls for them to molest and rape!!
    It's amazing that you have managed to divert this thread in any direction other than the OP's topic sentence. A sentence which infuriated you:

Now why would this infuriate anyone and send them spiraling into denial? Why are you so invested in denying any good on the part of the women's movement? Why are you enraged that Doctor Ride, a pioneer, believed that the women's movement did her some good? The answer is plain and undeniable. I always knew you hated women and it's never hard to expose you frustrated goons.

Now before you diverted into yet another tirade, you made this claim:

Yep, the only reason she went into space was because of Betty Friedman, despite the fact that Valentina Tereshkova went into space in 1963 the same year The Feminine Mystique was published.

Sally Ride never mentioned Betty Friedan (You don't even know her name Cliffie). She spoke of the women's movement paving the way for her. She also did not say that the women's movement was the only reason she went into space. The women's movement, like the civil rights movement, can only level out the playing field to a certain degree (neither have to this day accomplished a completely level playing field). It opens opportunity. It does not make someone "go into space". That takes first of all, genius, which Doctor Ride possessed, a dream, and a lot of hard work. When you have all of that and are denied the opportunity to be a CEO or to be a doctor or to be a astronaut, then there is injustice. WHich are the conditions that existed before the second wave.

You also emphasized the year. American second wave feminism is widely held to have began with the JFK report one female inequality and the publication of The Feminine Mystique. Movements like that do not rise up overnight, there were of course, feminist activists working, struggling, writing, pamphleting, and advocating for years prior to 1961. And Russia is not America.

Simone de Beauvoir published The Second Sex in 1949, and the publication if of this masterpiece of feminist thinking is always marked as the beginning of the global second wave. So your dates are meaningless Claven.

Your attacks on her, which you no doubt got out of your intellectual bible, the Daily Male, are irrelevant to any of the above facts. As is Sartre's height, I hate to inform you. He was one of the father's of French Existentialism and a brilliant philosopher regardless of how tall he was or what the internet's Cliff Claven thinks of him.

BTW, when you study de Beauvoir and her work at the university level, how her sexual exploitation of her young students (they were teens, usually around 16 and 17, she was not a "pedophile" and the age of consent in France is 15) can be reconciled with her writings. It's a fascinating debate to have but not with a woman-hating grump who has a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt Rushmore.
    Last edited by Cancel 2016.11; 07-24-2012 at 07:26 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Howey (07-24-2012), Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Back to the OP since I don't think it's right that a woman-hating anti-feminist jerk who resents feminism and hates any woman including Sally Ride who says it did something good for her, should be entitled to derail noting her death.

Very interesting to see what kind of questions were asked of this brilliant pioneering woman in 1982. Which btw, was 32 years after 1950.

Speaking to reporters before the first shuttle flight, Dr. Ride — chosen in part because she was known for keeping her cool under stress — politely endured a barrage of questions focused on her sex: Would spaceflight affect her reproductive organs? Did she plan to have children? Would she wear a bra or makeup in space? Did she cry on the job? How would she deal with menstruation in space?

Thanks for being here Sally. Sorry about the assholes. Hope you had a smooth ride.

Full story

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

CanceledB (07-24-2012), Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 92 Posts

Sally made us all proud and she will be missed. She promoted science and math excellence for girls. An exceptional woman who died too young. Thanks for this thread Darla.
    Stupid, paranoid, and armed is a bad combination.

Christianity: Sending telepathic messages to a Jewish ghost letting him know that you will accept him as your master and ask him to remove a magical curse that was passed down to you because an old woman that was made from the rib of her partner ate a piece of magical fruit from a magical tree because a talking snake told her to.

Ask me again why I'm an atheist?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haiku For This Post:

Howey (07-24-2012), Phantasmal (07-24-2012)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    Sally made us all proud and she will be missed. She promoted science and math excellence for girls. An exceptional woman who died too young. Thanks for this thread Darla.
    And thank you!

I know, far too young. What a life though.