View Poll Results: Have conservatives won?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 25.00%
  • No

3 75.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Victory for the right?

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Victory for the right?

Conservatives won a substantial victory on Thursday.

The physics of American politics — actions provoking reactions — continues to move the crucial debate, about the nature of the American regime, toward conservatism.

Chief Justice John Roberts has served this cause.

The health care legislation's expansion of the federal government's purview has improved our civic health by rekindling interest in what this expansion threatens — the Framers' design for limited government.

Conservatives distraught about the survival of the individual mandate are missing the considerable consolation prize they won when the Supreme Court rejected a constitutional rationale for the mandate — Congress' rationale — that was pregnant with rampant statism.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...00_will01.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 276 Times in 251 Posts

It is silly for conservatives to pretend that SCOTUS' decision wasn't a victory for liberalism, or even more ridiculously, that Roberts was handing a victory to Republicans so they could use it as a campaign issue. Both of these opinions are delusional.

However, victory in a battle does not mean there will be victory in a war. Liberals have won a battle, but I do not believe they will win the war of ideas.
    "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." -O'Brien, Nineteen Eighty-Four

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rationalist For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (06-30-2012)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I do agree Mr. Voltaire....say la ve or whoever you are this week. What happened this week was nothing less than a victory for the left. Ain't no amount of spin gonna change that.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,171 Times in 33,867 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I do agree Mr. Voltaire....say la ve or whoever you are this week. What happened this week was nothing less than a victory for the left. Ain't no amount of spin gonna change that.
    It is a victory for the uninsured.

6. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (06-30-2012)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Howey (06-30-2012)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 276 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    It is a victory for the uninsured.
    I agree. But is it the only, best, and most cost-effective way to provide relief for the uninsured? My primary objection is that it addresses the symptom (expensive health insurance) rather than the cause. As a result, costs will continue to skyrocket.
    "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." -O'Brien, Nineteen Eighty-Four

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rationalist For This Post:

Callinectes (06-30-2012)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

politically I am not sure how much this supreme court decision will effect the election honestly.

On the republican side, the claim is it's firing up the base. But the base already hated obamas guts. I don't think that changed anything.

Nationally, last I checked (and it may have changed) healthcare being an important issue for voters was around 7%. The economy, and jobs, still remains THE electoral issue.

I don't think obama gained much from this either, but he did prevent a loss. I think the problem obama would have had if the ACA was ruled unconstitutional, would be the fact that he wasted all his political capital and clout on something that didn't even come to fruition. With that being juxtoposed with the economy, it would make him look entirely ineffective, and a time waster. Now at least people realize it wasn't all for naught. He got something done. He was effective. Something to show for his efforts. That's a good selling point for him.

But the bill itself is meaningless when it comes to the 2012 election, it's more about his narrative. The said, people still are having problems with the economy, and it's an economy issue election, not a healthcare one.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

11. #7 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

So explain how Romney will create jobs, since you don't want to discuss healthcare.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by \\\()/// View Post
    So explain how Romney will create jobs, since you don't want to discuss healthcare.
    lmao....you troll your own threads dumbass

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
    It is silly for conservatives to pretend that SCOTUS' decision wasn't a victory for liberalism, or even more ridiculously, that Roberts was handing a victory to Republicans so they could use it as a campaign issue. Both of these opinions are delusional.

However, victory in a battle does not mean there will be victory in a war. Liberals have won a battle, but I do not believe they will win the war of ideas.
    In general, there are very few issues in history where progressive ideas haven't won out in the end; very few.

On healthcare, I wasn't a big ACA guy - but it does have a lot of positives.

I have yet to hear any significant conservative "ideas" on what to do about healthcare & the uninsured. The GOP used to be better at ideas in general, particularly during the Reagan years. But now they are somewhat bereft of them.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    In general, there are very few issues in history where progressive ideas haven't won out in the end; very few.

On healthcare, I wasn't a big ACA guy - but it does have a lot of positives.

I have yet to hear any significant conservative "ideas" on what to do about healthcare & the uninsured. The GOP used to be better at ideas in general, particularly during the Reagan years. But now they are somewhat bereft of them.
    more nothing "debate" from onceler.

you speak in general platitudes without actually making an argument.

the fact is, you did support ACA...now....all of a sudden you claim you really didn't. that is dishonest onceler.

the cons have no real ideas right now. you are right about that. however, neither do the liberals. but you will never address that. liberals were better under clinton. but you will never admit that. you're a hack, nothing more.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    more nothing "debate" from onceler.

you speak in general platitudes without actually making an argument.

the fact is, you did support ACA...now....all of a sudden you claim you really didn't. that is dishonest onceler.

the cons have no real ideas right now. you are right about that. however, neither do the liberals. but you will never address that. liberals were better under clinton. but you will never admit that. you're a hack, nothing more.
    I had a pretty good debate prior to the ruling with DH - it went on for a couple of days. I was hoping the court would rule the other way; but since they didn't, the silver lining is the conservative sadness in the aftermath.

I was not an ACA guy. Your post above, like many others, is a lie.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

whether he does or doesn't is honestly irrelevant when it comes to electoral politics. it's whether the public believes he will. you are always asking the wrong questions.

---

Grind is basically right

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-30-2012)

18. #13 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Proles View Post
    whether he does or doesn't is honestly irrelevant when it comes to electoral politics. it's whether the public believes he will. you are always asking the wrong questions.
    So you can't tell me how Romney would create jobs?

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you can't tell me how Romney would create jobs?
    non-sequitur.

Additionally, I made no such claim in either direction. You assume as though I have already claimed such a thing. So that's a logical fallacy and a false assumption within one sentence. that might be a new record for you.

---

Grind is basically right

20. #15 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

non-sequitur. Additionally, I made no such claim in either direction.
    Who said you had?

You assume as though I have already claimed such a thing.
    So Romney would create no more jobs than Obama has, as far as you're concerned?

So that's a logical fallacy and a false assumption within one sentence. that might be a new record for you.
    How so?