Oh goody goody. This beer is something I've waited to try for a year since I toured the Sam Adams Brewery last year. I'm obviously a big fan, as Sam Adams has done more to bring craft beer and good beer to the American people as a whole. For any non-Americans that may read this, do not judge our beer on Budweiser or Coors Light. Sam Adams is the brewery on which we should be judged.

Now, if anyone is still unaware, I love British style beers over the German styles. I know someone may want to go and tout the "Bavarian Purity Laws of 1516", as a supposed measure of quality, but I won't discuss that for now. Tonight I get to try one of my favorite styles (that is also rather rare) from one of my favorite brewers.

Poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A: DEEP, almost blackish, red. Head is about 1/8 of a finger high and light mocha in color. Bubbles are very small and tightly packed. Head retains for about 30 seconds and then literally vanishes, looking almost like Dr. Pepper afterwards, though far more opaque.

N: Where to begin....caramel, light roasted malts, fruity esters, maybe Juniper? A small peat smokiness as well. A second go at the nose reveals more fruitiness than smokiness but no real not of hops. Nor is there any alcohol present in the nose, which is slightly odd for a 10%ABV beer, but Wee Heavys are notorious for their complex nose and taste. Actually, as I've gone back to the nose half way through, the alcohol does make more of an appearance here in the nose.

T: Fruity sweetness upfront, caramel/cocoa in the middle, and just a light peat smokiness at the very back. Roasting of the malts is noticeable but not over powering as is the case with many beer. Barely any trace of alcohol in the taste, which is also unusual for a 10% beer. The flavor of this beer requires multiple sips, because each one I'm finding a new note or strength in it.

M: Well, it wouldn't be a Wee Heavy if the body were not, in fact, heavy. While very, very smooth, it has a feeling almost like heavy oil (weight wise). The hops and peat leave just a hint of bitterness between sips, but amazingly the beer completely masks its alcohol here as well. No noticeable burn what so ever, even when the beer hits my stomach. And believe me, it hits. Not the heaviest beer I've tried, but it's up there. Of course all of this is consistent with the Wee Heavy style. Use small sips, because large ones will turn you off to the beer.

D: Low. Its weight, complex flavors, and alcohol profile make this at best a 2 bottle beer. More likely, I'm going to take my time finishing this one bottle. Best enjoyed after dinner, or perhaps as a liquid snack at a cocktail party/beer tasting.

Overall, I'm once again very happy with Sam Adams. Wee Heavys are rare enough, and even though there is a local brewery that offers one, it's nice to know that I can find this stuff most anywhere in the country. It's not for the faint of heart, or inexperienced beer drinkers, but if you want a complex and, dare I say, sophisticated beverage, than this is a beer to look out for. Those who look at beer as merely a means of getting hammered, I'd say avoid this. You'll spend a lot of money, and almost certainly vomit. Something this complex is really hard to place with a food pairing, so I'd venture to say a good prime rib or maybe some venison/elk.