View Poll Results: Can the federal gov restrict your travel and who you associate with?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • no, they have no power or authority to do so

2 66.67%
  • yes, because I don't care.

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can the federal government order you not to associate with another individual?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Default can the federal government order you not to associate with another individual?

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2012/06...e_silver_t.php

Robert Platshorn became the longest serving marijuana prisoner in United States history, doing almost 30 years in federal prison for importing Colombian pot in the 1970s. When he got out four years ago, Platshorn -- a weed warrior through and through -- didn't take the easy way out and opt for a quiet retirement. Instead, he took up the cause of medical marijuana, launching The Silver Tour to bring the good news about cannabis to senior citizens.

Platshorn did his time, and when he got out, he started trying to make the world a better place and to help sick people. Now, even though he's been officially released from the jurisdiction of the U.S. Parole Commission, the federal government is trying to silence him, ordering travel restrictions -- which would effectively end The Silver Tour -- and forbidding him to associate with fellow Silver Tour director, federal medical marijuana patient Irvin Rosenfeld.
    so how is it that the federal government can order an otherwise free individual, no longer under US Parole jurisdiction, to travel restrictions and association restrictions?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

One thing that jumps out in this article....improper spelling aside.

They don't mention anything about the terms of his parole. His old PO is supposedly very ill, and not available. I find that hard to believe.

That aside, I don't understand how the feds have the legal right to pursue this avenue?

There's something missing here.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Felons lose right. Even after serving their time, they can no longer vote nor own firearms.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Felons lose right. Even after serving their time, they can no longer vote nor own firearms.
    I think there are instances where they can vote, but this discussion is very different.

It seems this guy's being treated as if he's still on parole.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    One thing that jumps out in this article....improper spelling aside.
    Improper spelling in the article....where ?.....

My spell checker doesn't find anything.....maybe I need an upgrade.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post

Maybe you need to read the article?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    unconstitutional rights removals aside, when a person is no longer under the supervision of the US Parole agency, the federal government should not be able to dictate where a free person can go and who they can associate with.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    unconstitutional rights removals aside, when a person is no longer under the supervision of the US Parole agency, the federal government should not be able to dictate where a free person can go and who they can associate with.
    I'd like to know the terms of his parole? Or more specifically, the closing of his case.

I can't fathom any scenario where they have the right to do this?

Although, he was evidently a bigtime smuggler. Perhaps he's free to do as he wishes, as long as he never has anything to do with anyone who promotes marijuana?

That's a bit of a stretch.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post

I don't use spellcheck, so I don't know how it works.

One of the errors is prob. a typo, but the word is still a properly spelled word....even though it makes no sense in the sentence.

The other error isn't a misspelled word, but it's incorrect for the context. "Four", instead of "For".

I don't know if spellcheck would pick up on that?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

One of the errors is prob. a typo, but the word is still a properly spelled word....even though it makes no sense in the sentence.

The other error isn't a misspelled word, but it's incorrect for the context. "Four", instead of "For".

No, and neither would Blabo.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

Althea (06-18-2012)

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Spell check wouldn't find those.....thanks....
    If I don't use one to find those typos, the spelling Nazi's will be all over me.....
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Maybe you need to read the article?
    Don't need to .... a spell checker should find the errors for you....

thats the purpose of using one....

I've no interest in the topic so I won't waste my time reading it or posting on it.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,906 Times in 21,667 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Short answer, not without due process.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 3,035 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 909 Times in 824 Posts

I don't know much about the case but it looks like he's still on parole, or at least probation, and all travel must be approved by his parole/probation officer.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

any conditions of release would make it possible to enforce those conditions.
    If he was simply released ( and it reads as such) -it's just the US Gubmin't bowing to DEA pressure, same as Obama did, same as why your
    (one person here said they had CANCER) pain relief, is not considered as important by most Dr's.; a keeping their liscense, and staying under the DEA radar.
    Most states are tracking EVERY controlled substance Rx. written -it (understandably so) scares the Dr's into not writing pain meds.

It's a fascist state, there really aren't any enumerated Bill of Rights anymore - we take them away for 'security', as we desire.
    SCOTUS sits on their hands. 21st century Amerika is running scared, most American's have no conception of the eneumerated rights,
    or are willing to give them up to "be safe". Ex-felons "rights?" LMAO

Or the Fed's just fucking take them away, and what are we supposed to do about it? You start complaining/ organizing, and I guarantee you:
    "The nail that stands up gets hammered down" (Japanese proverb)
    Last edited by anatta; 06-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.