View Poll Results: Are survivalists kidding themselves?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

1 100.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivalism: harmless hobby or paranoid fear?

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Survivalism: harmless hobby or paranoid fear?

Survivalism is a movement of individuals or groups (called survivalists or preppers) who are actively preparing for emergencies as well as possible disruptions in social or political order, on scales ranging from local to international. Survivalists often have emergency medical and self-defence training, stockpile food and water, prepare for self-sufficiency, and build structures that will help them survive or "disappear" (e.g. a survival retreat or underground shelter).

Anticipated disruptions include the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

Discuss...

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 86 Times in 85 Posts

There are countless situations that can arise that a bit of planning can help a great deal. Post natural disastors are one that comes to mind. After a major disastor, the predators and scavengers come out of the woodwork like roaches. Being able to provide your family with food, clean water, first aid, and physical protection falls into your lap. The authorities will not be of any help for possibly weeks or longer.

I do not understand why people ridicule or even fear preppers. If they are planning for something that will not happen, why does anyone care? If something does happen and you are depending on the authorities to help you, why not be glad there are those who won't be adding to the number of people needing assistance?

It seems, at worst, a harmless hobby. Much better than some hobbies that seem totally socially acceptable.

3. #3 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    There are countless situations that can arise that a bit of planning can help a great deal. Post natural disastors are one that comes to mind. After a major disastor, the predators and scavengers come out of the woodwork like roaches. Being able to provide your family with food, clean water, first aid, and physical protection falls into your lap. The authorities will not be of any help for possibly weeks or longer. I do not understand why people ridicule or even fear preppers. If they are planning for something that will not happen, why does anyone care? If something does happen and you are depending on the authorities to help you, why not be glad there are those who won't be adding to the number of people needing assistance? It seems, at worst, a harmless hobby. Much better than some hobbies that seem totally socially acceptable.
    Thanks for your input.

Who said they "fear" survivalists?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by \\()// View Post
    Thanks for your input.

Who said they "fear" survivalists?
    I did. I am the only other person who posted here.

5. #5 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

So you fear survivalists?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you fear survivalists?
    Did I say I am afraid of them?

But yes, I do believe some people fear preppers.

7. #7 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Did I say I am afraid of them? But yes, I do believe some people fear preppers.
    When I asked who said they fear survivalists, you replied...

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is, quite literally, a 100% chance of something happening that will cause distress to human survival on this planet. Will we be prepared as a specie? Maybe, if we're lucky enough that it comes far future.

Until the time we are prepared to deal with such a disaster as could come from any number of different avenues survivalists ensure the survival of our specie.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    There is, quite literally, a 100% chance of something happening that will cause distress to human survival on this planet. Will we be prepared as a specie? Maybe, if we're lucky enough that it comes far future. Until the time we are prepared to deal with such a disaster as could come survivalists ensure the survival of humanity should it happen before we are prepared.
    So survivalism is a harmless hobby?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

When I asked who said they fear survivalists, you replied...
    Yes. I have said, more than once in this thread, that I believe some people fear preppers.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I believe it is prudent planning.

12. #12 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Yes. I have said, more than once in this thread, that I believe some people fear preppers.
    So when I asked "who said they fear survivalists", and you replied "I did", what you really meant was that somebody else does?

13. #13 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

I believe it is prudent planning.
    So it's harmless?

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So when I asked "who said they fear survivalists", and you replied "I did", what you really meant was that somebody else does?
    I certainly did. I said that people fear the preppers.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is a necessity, whether you want to mock them or not they are the ones that will survive if the stuff hits the fan before we are ready to deal with it. It's a repeating meme, shoot even humanity has suffered a near extinction in our short existence on this planet.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle