Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

2. The Following User Says Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Don Quixote (06-04-2012)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 92 Posts

Who did they ask in this poll. I can say with confidence that 46% of the people I know don't believe in Creationism/ID...and they don't want it taught in science class.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

Funny how as the number of college educated goes up the cartoon believers go down!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Funny how as the number of college educated goes up the cartoon believers go down!
    what have you been smoking of late...i want some for my next batch of buddah butter
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

6. The Following User Groans At Don Quixote For This Awful Post:

The Dude (06-05-2012)

7. #5 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    First of all, only a small isolated sect of Christians believe the earth is 6,000 years old...

8. The Following User Groans At For This Awful Post:

The Dude (06-05-2012)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by \\()// View Post
    Pretty much every Christian(especially Evangelicals) in the Bible belt.LOL They still believe the Bible is "infallible"lol You point out all th contridictions, their brain seems incapable of computing it. They go in denial mode. And in a few days start typing the same crap that was disproved days earlier. Dont know if they are deceived(brainwashed) or deceivers(playing dumb).

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Personally I don't give a rats ass what the public thinks. I mean it's unfortunate that such a vast number of Americans are so grossly ignorant in science....but that's their problem. As long as they don't interefere with my and my colleagues right to work and teach by the standards of our profession and not their religeous beliefs then if they choose to remain ignorant on this topic, well I guess that's their right.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

Creationism isn't something that can be taught in school and keep any sort of sense.

Teacher: Then the earth happened.
    Student: Why?
    Teacher: Cause god made it happen.
    Student: What about the dinosaurs, cause Ms. Phelps said
    Teacher: She's wrong, god didn't make them. This other guy with horns just put bones in teh ground so that we'd think that there was another reason that the earth happened.
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    Personally I don't give a rats ass what the public thinks. I mean it's unfortunate that such a vast number of Americans are so grossly ignorant in science....but that's their problem. As long as they don't interefere with my and my colleagues right to work and teach by the standards of our profession and not their religeous beliefs then if they choose to remain ignorant on this topic, well I guess that's their right.
    I think it is the nations problem, also, being grossly ignorant is not a good thing.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    Creationism isn't something that can be taught in school and keep any sort of sense.

Teacher: Then the earth happened.
    Student: Why?
    Teacher: Cause god made it happen.
    Student: What about the dinosaurs, cause Ms. Phelps said
    Teacher: She's wrong, god didn't make them. This other guy with horns just put bones in teh ground so that we'd think that there was another reason that the earth happened.
    Oh I don't know about that. Putting aside Constitutional issues of church and state there is certainly room for teaching Creationism in say a comparative religion or philosophy class. There is certainly no room for teaching it as science, in the science class room, though Creationism is useful in the science classroom as an example to illustrate what is not science.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I think it is the nations problem, also, being grossly ignorant is not a good thing.
    I agree. I don't think it is good for our nation to have such vast numbers of people ignorant of science. In fact it depresses the hell out of me. I bet upwards of 75% or more of the general public are very poorly educated in science and know very little of the fundamentals of science. The problem really isn't education so much as it is values. Let's be honest. Our society does not really value scientist and technologist. Oh they certainly appreciate the products of their work but really only from a commodity standpoint. That is the usefull tools and toys science and technology provides for them. What they don't appreciate hardly at all is the thought, imagination, discipline and work that goes into science. Our societies perception of scientist is rediculed and marginalized. You only need to watch the popular media to see that. Ever see the show "Big Bang Theory"? This show accurately illustrates what our society thinks of scientist and technologist. This is how much they value them. They marginalize them as socially retarded geeks and nerds who are kinda useful but on the margins of society.

As long as our society holds scientist and technologist in such disdain and contempt you'll see no improvement in science literacy in our nation. This is not the fault of our schools.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-05-2012), Phantasmal (06-05-2012)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

same stupid "which is closest" questions......same results.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wiseones2cents View Post
    Pretty much every Christian(especially Evangelicals) in the Bible belt
    if you believe that pretty much every Christian believes the earth is 6000 years old you belong in the category of least educated.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

18. #14 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.

The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/Ho...n-Origins.aspx

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    I agree. I don't think it is good for our nation to have such vast numbers of people ignorant of science. In fact it depresses the hell out of me. I bet upwards of 75% or more of the general public are very poorly educated in science and know very little of the fundamentals of science. The problem really isn't education so much as it is values. Let's be honest. Our society does not really value scientist and technologist. Oh they certainly appreciate the products of their work but really only from a commodity standpoint. That is the usefull tools and toys science and technology provides for them. What they don't appreciate hardly at all is the thought, imagination, discipline and work that goes into science. Our societies perception of scientist is rediculed and marginalized. You only need to watch the popular media to see that. Ever see the show "Big Bang Theory"? This show accurately illustrates what our society thinks of scientist and technologist. This is how much they value them. They marginalize them as socially retarded geeks and nerds who are kinda useful but on the margins of society.

As long as our society holds scientist and technologist in such disdain and contempt you'll see no improvement in science literacy in our nation. This is not the fault of our schools.
    I love BBT, and I so agree with you. Jocks are lionized, kids who excell in math and science are referred to as nerdie. You don't have prom king for science. I think schools add to the societal problem.