Thread: Food Nazis Are At It Again

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Food Nazis Are At It Again

Nothing like the sweet song of government taking care of you!

I can't believe nobody has posted about this...

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-05/D9V3VVMG0.htm

NYC proposes ban on large sodas at restaurants

Want to super-size that soda? Sorry, but in New York City you could be out of luck.

In his latest effort to fight obesity in this era of Big Gulps and triple bacon cheeseburgers, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is proposing an unprecedented ban on large servings of soda and other sugary drinks at restaurants, delis, sports arenas and movie theaters.

Drinks would be limited to 16 ounces, which is considered a small serving at many fast-food joints.

"The percentage of the population that is obese is skyrocketing," Bloomberg said Thursday on MSNBC. He added: "We've got to do something."

More at link...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Annie (06-01-2012), Granule (06-01-2012), The Dude (06-01-2012)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Bravs did post on it. But I can't blame anyone for ignoring his posts.

In general, I agree w/ the idea that this is the height of ridiculous. Just to play devil's advocate, though, it IS true that obesity is basically bankrupting the country. With obesity rates continuing to rise, I do wonder if more stringent "healthy" measures might lie ahead.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post

In general, I agree w/ the idea that this is the height of ridiculous. Just to play devil's advocate, though, it IS true that obesity is basically bankrupting the country. With obesity rates continuing to rise, I do wonder if more stringent "healthy" measures might lie ahead.
    Yeah but banning large sodas in restaurants isn't going to change anything. I do support the efforts to get this shit out of the schools, especially since corporations are vying for contracts with school districts, and the districts themselves are often financially squeezed and vulnerable to stocking their cafeterias with nothing but high sugar shit for financial reasons. And the way to lower obesity rates, IMO, is to lower the number of children who become obese. Once that happens it becomes incredibly difficult to change.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Althea (06-01-2012), Phantasmal (06-01-2012)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Yeah but banning large sodas in restaurants isn't going to change anything. I do support the efforts to get this shit out of the schools, especially since corporations are vying for contracts with school districts, and the districts themselves are often financially squeezed and vulnerable to stocking their cafeterias with nothing but high sugar shit for financial reasons. And the way to lower obesity rates, IMO, is to lower the number of children who become obese. Once that happens it becomes incredibly difficult to change.
    I can't believe that there are vending machines for kids to use at the school at all. There never was for us until we were in High School, and by then we could leave campus to eat wherever we wanted.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

I deserve it for pwning everyone over and over.....its hard to even get a response other than a personal attack....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

8. The Following User Groans At NOVA For This Awful Post:

The Dude (06-01-2012)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,165 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    I deserve it for pwning everyone over and over.....its hard to even get a response other than a personal attack....
    Ahahahahah says the man whose posts are usually brimming with personal insults, pinhead.
    Last edited by Phantasmal; 06-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-02-2012), Rune (06-03-2012), The Dude (06-01-2012)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Right ...it won't do a thing but make people resent the fools that try to pass these kinds of laws....

But that isn't the point being made....Onecell hit it right in the heart......"the idea that this is the height of ridiculous" ,

and it has nothing to do with schools...
    but I see we won a battle on that front too, where the teacher took a kids home packed lunch and made him eat cafeteria food.....
    that kind of behavior is no longer allowed by any teachers....it none of their business.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Brainless hacks don't pwn anyone, bravs. But they do use the outdated expression "pwn" a lot.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Onceler For This Post:

The Dude (06-01-2012)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Ahahahahah says the man hose posts are usually brimming with personal insults, pinhead.
    Its called a 'counterattack'.....pinhead ?

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,692 Times in 5,195 Posts
    Blog Entries

STATES RIGHTS!

Is Mike Bloomberg a Republicans?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Its called a 'counterattack'.....pinhead ?
    Nah - it's called hypocrisy. I don't think I've ever seen such little self-awareness as someone who says "All you idiot pinhead libtards can do is post insults."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onceler For This Post:

Cancel 2016.11 (06-01-2012), The Dude (06-01-2012)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Brainless hacks don't pwn anyone, bravs. But they do use the outdated expression "pwn" a lot.

The proof....

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nah - it's called hypocrisy. I don't think I've ever seen such little self-awareness as someone who says "All you idiot pinhead libtards can do is post insults."
    And more proof...

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    STATES RIGHTS!

Is Mike Bloomberg a Republicans?
    Hes a wackno no matter how he votes.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And more proof...
    It is indeed, bravs. But no one really needs any more proof.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Onceler For This Post:

Cancel 2016.11 (06-01-2012)